• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question About a Spot on a Back Cover
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a copy of JLA #8, and it has an interesting spot on the back cover...it does not appear to impact the gloss, and when I look at it with a loupe it appears to be underneath the dot pattern that makes up the color in this area of the back cover...it does bleed through to the inside of the back cover though.

I've seen other books with this type of spot (it's usually blue though), and always thought it looked like someone took a ballpoint pen and made a dot on the back cover that bled a bit.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this type of spot might be? Is it possible it was in the paper before printing?

JLA8_Spot1.jpg.61726e4fff345f1bf68c9085982a2a24.jpg

JLA8_Spot2.jpg.5ea1625ba70d0013f8ce531e6d32c505.jpg

JLA8_Spot3.jpg.d8ba66777ed5d63ff6123f8185f6a365.jpg

Thanks so much for your responses!

Art

Most likely a quality control problem in the printing. Interestingly, the only constant use of that color ink during that era was in the DC logo, so it was guaranteed to be floating around in the production process. Comics publishers in the early 60s were on the ropes financially, and most of the printers they relied on were still using equipment dating from the dawn of the Golden Age.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 9.42.33 AM.png