There is nothing sexier than a hot hot model
2 2

244 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2021 at 1:25 PM, batman_fan said:
On 10/9/2021 at 12:45 PM, Gaard said:

I remember back in the mid-70s, I sent in one of those ads from the backs of magazines where they'd send you a model every month (for a fee) until you cancelled. I remember the first model I received was some Lunar Landing thing...pretty cool. Then my mom got the first bill. She called them up and said something like, "He's only 12!", plus some more stuff that's not for the ears of children.

Then she turned her attention towards me...

The modeling bug bit me though, kinda. By the time I got to high school, I had a fairly large fleet of model rockets. Mostly Centuri, plus a few Estes.

Wow, we had identical childhoods.  I did the model club too and that was my first kit as well.  I had to cancel mine with a letter.

I had the Lunar Landing Module too, but I don't recall if I was briefly a member of that club or what.

I recall making some car model that had the chassis in the shape of German military helmet.

But other than that, I made a bunch of WW I bi-planes, WW2 bombers and fighters, and a few naval ships and tanks. 

When I was a kid I went to a Jack's Barber Shop in Oakridge, Oregon. Jack always had some comics for the kids, but the really neat item he had was a glass display case full of WW I and II model airplanes. Jack did a professional job on his models, and had an airbrush and knew how to use it to create phenomenal finished pieces.  He had a little shop in the back of the barber shop, and worked on models between haircuts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

For some reason this reminds me of my old Slot Cars and track. 

Mom used to take us to a slot car track every Friday night back in the mid 60's, I had the Cox Chaparral 1/24 scale, also had many Aurora HO sets.

This thread has conjured up many great memories of my childhood in the 60's, Thank You!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2021 at 5:21 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Revell, that's what they were

Yup. I had the Apollo rocket / Saturn 5, which I was obsessed with after the first moon landing, being a nerd from a very young age.

I did lots of model kits, but I was rubbish at painting them up.

Edited by Ken Aldred
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. I had the Apollo rocket / Saturn 5, which I was obsessed with after the first moon landing, being a very young nerd.

I did lots of model kits, but I was rubbish at painting them up.

Same, I didn't like to paint. I really liked putting on decals though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still have my Aurora Monster Models, the Batman and Robin Aurora:s, and the Corgi Batmobile and Batboat. I would to get sealed mint kits to display with the models. And I've never been able to find a Penguin kit, assembled or still boxed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2021 at 12:45 PM, Gaard said:

I remember back in the mid-70s, I sent in one of those ads from the backs of magazines where they'd send you a model every month (for a fee) until you cancelled. I remember the first model I received was some Lunar Landing thing...pretty cool. Then my mom got the first bill. She called them up and said something like, "He's only 12!", plus some more stuff that's not for the ears of children.

Then she turned her attention towards me...

The modeling bug bit me though, kinda. By the time I got to high school, I had a fairly large fleet of model rockets. Mostly Centuri, plus a few Estes.

I made it to the second model.  I'm pretty sure the first one cost a dime, and I have no idea what the rest cost but we canceled after the second one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2021 at 9:46 AM, Randall Dowling said:

What I take from this thread is that you guys like to do models.  But everyone wants to do a model.  We put them on a pedestal and for many, it's a dream.  You think about what it will be like, how good you'll feel when your finished.  And most models look pretty good from a distance.

But in the end you know that once you're finished with one model, you'll move on to the next one, never content with just having done the one model.  And each successive one will bring you a little less pleasure than the one before.  It's just the way it goes.

Wait... what's with all the pictures of kids toys... never mind, disregard, disregard!

I will have to PM you about proper techniques for trimming the flashing, airbrushing, drybrushing, etc...., :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got hooked on Monogram kits back in the 70s. Mainly WW2 aircraft. More recently I've bought their historic cars series when I could find them. Still have unbuilt Monogram Model A Ford, the green one from the 70s mint sealed, the original yellow one you can make as hard or soft top and some l'il John Buttera Revell Ford hot rods. The Tijuana taxi is a favourite and I have one built and one in the box awaiting attention. No pics though, sorry!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2021 at 2:21 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I got hooked on Monogram kits back in the 70s. Mainly WW2 aircraft. More recently I've bought their historic cars series when I could find them. Still have unbuilt Monogram Model A Ford, the green one from the 70s mint sealed, the original yellow one you can make as hard or soft top and some l'il John Buttera Revell Ford hot rods. The Tijuana taxi is a favourite and I have one built and one in the box awaiting attention. No pics though, sorry!

As a kid, virtually every boy I knew had at least a few models.  My son has never built a model other than Legos which isn't quite the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2021 at 7:49 PM, batman_fan said:

Today was a very very good day for my model collection

1.  Finished my square box collection by winning the Forgotten Prisoner model.  What excites me about this kit is I tried to buy one off eBay but lost out at just over $2400.  This one cost me $1800.  All 12 kits sealed.:banana:

2.  40% done with the long.

Once I have them in hand will post a group shot.

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 5.39.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 5.38.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 5.39.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 5.39.38 PM.png

(worship)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2