• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pressing foil cover?
3 3

26 posts in this topic

I am sending a book in for a signing event, and as a general rule when doing so, order pressing, to counteract any possible indentations from the signer.  However, this book has a foil cover.  Is there a higher risk of damage for this during the pressing process than a "normal cover?  If so, would pressing still be recommended after the signing?  Thanks in advance.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:13 PM, Ferretboy said:

I am sending a book in for a signing event, and as a general rule when doing so, order pressing, to counteract any possible indentations from the signer.  However, this book has a foil cover.  Is there a higher risk of damage for this during the pressing process than a "normal cover?  If so, would pressing still be recommended after the signing?  Thanks in advance.

I think your safe. I've seen professional pressers on these boards say they can press foil covers.  But I don't actually know what I'm talking about so best to ask a pro. 

@joeypost

I have had several foil books pressed, but have always used Joey and not CCS. I do not know what the in house company will/will not press. 

Another determining factor is which book? Some of the foil covers have an embossed cover as well which exponentially adds to the difficulty and may not be able to be pressed. Newer foil covers are flat and highly glossy. It all depends on the book itself. 

If you the signing event is in house the only option to press is CCS so you may have to try to reach out to them to see specifically if they will press the book you have in mind.

Good Luck! 

On 10/9/2021 at 12:13 PM, Ferretboy said:

I’ve had several copies of this book pressed by CCS and (so far) have not had a problem. I think this is a relatively soft foil to give you an idea.

55BBB1A2-C91A-4FFA-A664-39B059EB1654.thumb.jpeg.e868b66f4f901787fd0c095dce44c0ff.jpeg

The only issue I have found with having foil covers such as Venom LP #1 pressed is when the areas that need attention are close to the spine. This is no different of course to any regular cover with ncb creases/ticks in the meat of the spine. Just my experiences though.

Per their response to my query

Thank you for your email,

If the book's cover is entirely foil, unfortunately we cannot press it. If the outside cover is foil while the interior cover is paper stock, we are able to press it. The foil covers that can be pressed have certain limitations due to the raised surface of the cover. In some cases, bends are too deep or large to be effectively removed because of these limitations.

If in doubt, please utilize the CCS screening service to determine if your foil cover is a good candidate for pressing

Hope this helps if someone else has a similar question.  Thanks to everyone who gave feedback on this

On 10/11/2021 at 3:51 AM, Ferretboy said:

I would like to thank everyone for their responses.  The book in question is wonder woman 26 the photo foil convention edition.  I sent out a query to customer service to see if they will even accept such a pressing.  

I had my copy pressed back in 2017, so unless they've changed their stance on the book since then, it is pressable by CCS.

WW26.thumb.jpg.7df4e6cca418e85f96f96a7299e543d8.jpg

On 10/10/2021 at 11:09 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

The only issue I have found with having foil covers such as Venom LP #1 pressed is when the areas that need attention are close to the spine. This is no different of course to any regular cover with ncb creases/ticks in the meat of the spine. Just my experiences though.

Good to know that you were able to get Vemon LP #1 pressed. Mine is at 9.4 and holding out for a McFarlane signing that I would send in for pressing also. 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:47 PM, joeypost said:

Foils can be pressed, but it is a very long and drawn out process compared to a regular modern book. A lot of pressing companies pass on doing foils because it is timely compared to other books, and it can go south very quickly if you are not paying attention. 

What are the thoughts on full Chromium covers and cardboard stock covers such as these?

20210530_171256.jpg

1618455_xl.jpg

Edited by Dr. Dank

On 11/3/2021 at 2:04 PM, ExNihilo said:

I would never press anything with a raised cover like that AvP.  Pressing would literally flatten/damage it.

I have no idea, but I'm wondering if an adept presser would understand the nuances and know which areas could be pressed and which cannot

Edited by Dr. Dank

On 11/3/2021 at 4:04 PM, ExNihilo said:

I would never press anything with a raised cover like that AvP.  Pressing would literally flatten/damage it.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, Dr. Dank said:

I have no idea, but I'm wondering if an adept presser would understand the nuances and know which areas could be pressed and which cannot

I have had several covers that have embossing / foil or both like Superman #75 pressed by Joey and he has done an amazing job with them. They have never been flattened out. 

scan0098.thumb.jpg.95ac4f45f667c7817b4f3c2c5e40d3a0.jpg.c076b988497ec7cf4b2643af95b5a7b1.jpgscan0134.thumb.jpg.a13b72347abc07aa2e1889db618ed9e4.jpg.5ca6af7205a5b9a8c9f27f3140824d0a.jpgscan0122.thumb.jpg.c8cc1a76d8063915eaa81e162c12fc2b.jpg.f7caaa7451f7ab051eea287e4067cd8a.jpgscan0136.thumb.jpg.eedef2c88f9f4950394f7cb8a9022c9b.jpg.a6aecb8a29b5e46a6b09e1d282cc7a42.jpg

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite