• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Mad magazine collection, 1955-1974: CLOSED
3 3

161 posts in this topic

This sale is now completed. Thanks to all of you who've made purchases already.

Over the next several days, this thread will offer for sale over 130 unslabbed Mad magazines published between 1955 and 1974.  My collection is an amalgam of three collections in one: a generally high grade grouping from issue 40-99, a lower grade run from 36-50, and the mags I bought when new, starting as a 13 year old in 1967.  Since I completed every Al Jaffee puzzle on the inside back cover, the last grouping comes with 2 vertical folds on the back cover, and will be offered at bargain basement pricing.

The particulars: The first 'take it' either posted in the thread or via private message wins a book.  Payments are accepted via check or PayPal.  Shipping is $18 within the US for up to 10 magazines and $30 for 11-20 mags, and will be by US Postal Service priority mail in meticulous protected packaging.  US shipping of >20 magazines and shipping any quantity to other countries require my exact shipping cost - contact me before committing to any purchases for an estimate.  Returns are accepted if they are received within a week of your receipt of the books, and will refund your purchase price - since they are a hassle to seller and buyer both, please peruse the large high resolution scans of each magazine, and feel free to ask me via p.m. for a very detailed description of the condition and flaws of any mag that will cover every edge, corner, and feature front, back, and inside.  Clicking three times on any image brings up a huge high resolution scan.  The mags are graded conservatively to ensure your satisfaction.  

As my Mad collection is coming to market for the first time, the list prices are firm. Thanks in advance for checking out this sale!  Also, be sure to check out the sale of some terrific comic books Jimjum has started listing today - he's top notch to deal with.

First up, the first Mad magazine.

• Mad #24
  • F+  c/ow pages
  • $450  SOLD!

Gorgeous presenting copy in otherwise high grade condition, except it has a quarter inch tear on the front cover near the top of the spine and a tiny hole right next to the spine at the base of the tear visible with backlighting.  The back cover has a small ding along the left edge halfway from top to bottom and a very small chip missing at the bottom near the spine.  Clean and flat with bright inks and nice white cover stock.

Mad24-2.thumb.jpg.36395d976f93a438606dcf812a56ec42.jpg

Mad24back.thumb.jpg.f7c9f75752d3e610763a0573acd6abba.jpg

Edited by namisgr
mag sold

• Mad #29
  • VF/NM  ow/w pages
  • White Mountain pedigree
  • $275  SOLD!

Authenticity for the pedigree is provided by the mylar label that came with the mag when I purchased it from Pacific Comic Exchange back in the late 1990s.  PCEI had for sale around that time a slew of Mad comics and early mags from the White Mountain pedigree.  The CGC census has record of another White Mountain copy of Mad #29 - some of the Mad comics and early mags are known to have had at least two copies in the pedigree.

Beautiful high grade copy from 1956, with only a light vertical indent on the back cover running parallel to the spine that does not break paper or color responsible for the downgrade from near mint.  As is characteristic for the White Mountain pedigree, the mag has a neat Jul 30 1956 date stamp on the interior splash page and a wonderful smell of camphor mothballs used by the original owner for preservation purposes.

Mad29-2.thumb.jpg.eb6ff0c7c3c602288cd3a03a36b9b373.jpg

Mad29label.thumb.jpg.67f31151b1c018591346a31c89d889d7.jpg

Edited by namisgr
mag sold

• Mad #36
  • VG/F  c/ow
  • $23

Mingo cover art, as Alfred sees, hears, and speaks evil.  :wink:  Downgraded to the assigned grade owing to light moisture rippling along the top edge.

Mad36A.thumb.jpg.a5e37db2a216ac9441a980410a1648e3.jpg

• Mad #39 copy A
  • F/VF  c/ow pgs
  • spots of color loss back cover responsible for the assigned grade
  • $50

Cool cover depicting Elvis, Lucille Ball, Louis Armstrong, Marilyn Monroe, Yul Brynner, and Jerry Lewis.

Mad39A.thumb.jpg.b94b8e1ba22bc7e845c036da65ce2618.jpg

On 10/10/2021 at 7:51 AM, namisgr said:
  • Mad #29
  • VF/NM  ow/w pages
  • White Mountain pedigree
  • $275

Authenticity for the pedigree is provided by the mylar label that came with the mag when I purchased it from Pacific Comic Exchange back in the late 1990s.  PCEI had for sale around that time a slew of Mad comics and early mags from the White Mountain pedigree.  The CGC census has record of another White Mountain copy of Mad #29 - some of the Mad comics and early mags are known to have had at least two copies in the pedigree.

Beautiful high grade copy from 1956, with only a light vertical indent on the back cover running parallel to the spine that does not break paper or color responsible for the downgrade from near mint.  As is characteristic for the White Mountain pedigree, the mag has a neat Jul 30 1956 date stamp on the interior splash page and a wonderful smell of camphor mothballs used by the original owner for preservation purposes.

Mad29-2.thumb.jpg.eb6ff0c7c3c602288cd3a03a36b9b373.jpg

Mad29label.thumb.jpg.67f31151b1c018591346a31c89d889d7.jpg

:takeit:

GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... as an ex-sign painter, I can't resist.... plus the first Don Martin IIRC :cloud9:

Edited by jimjum12

On 10/10/2021 at 7:31 AM, namisgr said:

First up, the first Mad magazine.

• Mad #24
  • F+  c/ow pages
  • $450

Gorgeous presenting copy in otherwise high grade condition, except it has a quarter inch tear on the front cover near the top of the spine and a tiny hole right next to the spine at the base of the tear visible with backlighting.  The back cover has a small ding along the left edge halfway from top to bottom and a very small chip missing at the bottom near the spine.  Clean and flat with bright inks and nice white cover stock.

Mad24-2.thumb.jpg.36395d976f93a438606dcf812a56ec42.jpg

Mad24back.thumb.jpg.f7c9f75752d3e610763a0573acd6abba.jpg

:takeit: