• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2021 - Did anyone buy anything?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

For the first time ever, I went to a show and bought no OA because the prices were just too damn high -- and I don't hesitate to spend $10K on a page. This overinflated dealer pricing isn't my imagination -- the dealers themselves are admitting it every week on the YouTube OA shows, where we are being firmly instructed that "Dealers, NOT the market, sets prices" (Will) or some variant of "This SHOULD be SO much higher, you are getting a bargain" for pieces like covers with 1/3 real art, 1/3 original stat and 1/3 RECREATED stat (Glen and Bechara). 

I came back into the market because I love OA, but when the market becomes only the province of millionaires and "investors" pumped by dealers and Heritage, what's left for the rest of us?

Edited by Guest

On 10/11/2021 at 9:51 AM, Race said:

For the first time ever, I went to a show and bought no OA because the prices were just too damn high -- and I don't hesitate to spend $10K on a page. This overinflated dealer pricing isn't my imagination -- the dealers themselves are admitting it every week on the YouTube OA shows, where we are being firmly instructed that "Dealers, NOT the market, sets prices" (Will) or some variant of "This SHOULD be SO much higher, you are getting a bargain" for pieces like covers with 1/3 real art, 1/3 original stat and 1/3 RECREATED stat (Glen and Bechara). 

I came back into the market because I love OA, but when the market becomes only the province of millionaires and "investors" pumped by dealers and Heritage, what's left for the rest of us?

I wonder how many collectors are in exactly the same boat.  

Prices are at record levels not only for great stuff but all the way down to dreck level.  

They have a nice little collection but can't afford to add any more pages due to said record high price levels.  They're not willing to "shift focus" just for the sake of spending money to freshen up the collection.

The collection is stagnating as a result and the decision is made to liquidate most or all of it in order to take advantage of these record high prices...

As a result, they're now, or soon will be, out of the hobby business and will be now or very soon just window shopping be it on line or at cons.

Edited by pemart1966

On 10/25/2021 at 9:09 AM, pemart1966 said:

I wonder how many collectors are in exactly the same boat.  

Prices are at record levels not only for great stuff but all the way down to dreck level.  

They have a nice little collection but can't afford to add any more pages due to said record high price levels.  They're not willing to "shift focus" just for the sake of spending money to freshen up the collection.

The collection is stagnating as a result and the decision is made to liquidate most or all of it in order to take advantage of these record high prices...

As a result, they're now, or soon will be, out of the hobby business and will be now or very soon just window shopping be it on line or at cons.

Also, a lot of it is the same old s**t. I have watched one cover change hands (mostly between dealers) from $3,000 to now $5,500. It was a marginal buy at $3k, which I passed on. I sure won’t buy it for $5.5k.

On 10/11/2021 at 4:23 PM, TheLostDreams said:

If you make an average salary (30k to 80k) and don't have any art to trade, I don't think it's worth going to shows anymore if your hope is to bring home something decent.  If you just want to go  to hang out, pass the time, take a break from things, and look, that's another thing...but the prices these days for anything decent/good is impossible for virtually most everyone.  

"Decent" is highly subjective.  If someone is seeking to begin collecting 60s or 70's Marvel Covers or even splash pages then yeah best to think about a different hobby. As for panel pages (likely non battle, non a-list artist) perhaps they can pickup a few nice items per year?

BTW it's not what you make but what you keep :) I'd bet there are some in the salary range you mentioned who have little to nothing in the way of expenses. Still though your point is valid most vintage Marvel Art, and to a lesser extent DC has become a hobby for the wealthy. Although since at least the late 90's has always been a hobby for those with at least some "disposable income"

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, MAR1979 said:

"Decent" is highly subjective.  If someone is seeking to begin collecting 60s or 70's Marvel Covers or even splash pages then yeah best to think about a different hobby. As for panel pages (likely non battle, non a-list artist) perhaps they can pickup a few nice items per year?

Agreed with this. I'm not wealthy, and am likely forever out of the market for most Silver and Bronze art of note. That said there's still plenty of fun stuff under the radar within my price range, and there's still lots of cool new artists on the rise whose work I like and am happy to add to my collection. All a matter of perspective and taste.