• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Writer Quits
2 2

90 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2021 at 12:20 PM, WoWitHurts said:

Doesn't bother me at all. I have more important stuff to actually worry about. If Marvel as his employer has dealt with it and is ok with it then whatever. If the writer doesn't want to work for Marvel then ok. Don't work for them. 

^ I like this approach.
None of this stuff we see so often:
natalie on Twitter: "#Mackellar #Auspol Good riddance to Bishop. She always  reminded me of the awful principal from Uncle Buck:… "

Edited by kav

This whole episode is really cringe-y. 

One the one hand I don't think people's livelihoods should be destroyed because they made a mistake. 

On the other hand it certainly doesn't seem like this guy did anything to atone for what he did, and putting him in a place of power is a poor example to others that this type of behavior is ok. 

On 10/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Doesn't matter.

Corporate America is littered with the dead careers of former rising stars and/or executives who were fired for lesser instances of fraud.

One example?

Scott Thompson - former CEO of Yahoo!

He came to Yahoo! after having been a CTO and President of PayPal. He was fired when it was discovered he lied on his resume about having received a Computer Science degree from his undergrad decades earlier.

Dozens of other examples.

This is worse - not just fraud, but cultural appropriation.

So cultural appropriation is worse than fraud, which could be a crime in some circumstances?

On 10/12/2021 at 1:11 PM, SuperBird said:

One the one hand I don't think people's livelihoods should be destroyed because they made a mistake. 

On the other hand it certainly doesn't seem like this guy did anything to atone for what he did, and putting him in a place of power is a poor example to others that this type of behavior is ok. 

What does he have to atone for?  We celebrate Nellie Bly, who pretended to be a white man in order to get a job no one would hire a women to do. Richard Burton was a hero to generations of young boys for his daring to visit the sacred cities of Mecca and Medina by posing as a Muslim.

He violated some Disney policy but if his bosses were okay with it, I'm not sure why it bothers anyone else. 

What I don't understand is why anyone thinks only a Japanese person can make up stories for manga? It's that kind of closed mind that puts us in these circumstances to begin with. 

On 10/12/2021 at 2:11 PM, SuperBird said:

I don't like to classify lying as a mistake.  A mistake is opening a milk carton  on the wrong side. 

If someone lies and misrepresents themselves to get a job they should lose their job when the lies are discovered.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:36 PM, thehumantorch said:

I don't like to classify lying as a mistake.  A mistake is opening a milk carton  on the wrong side. 

If someone lies and misrepresents themselves to get a job they should lose their job when the lies are discovered.

You pretty much have to lie to get any job in an interview.
"whats your biggest weakness?"
"I work too hard"
When my brother left the air force he could not get a job.  He was an electronics genius-but when the interview asked him if he was familar with some specific thing he would say no.  His buddy, also out of the air force and with a great job told him you have to lie-they train you for their specific needs anyway.
He became the top employee of that company.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:28 PM, shadroch said:

So cultural appropriation is worse than fraud, which could be a crime in some circumstances?

1) Yes - because it's stealing a job from otherwise qualified people who fit the actual cultural (and - from the employers' perspective - desired) background.

2) You're misunderstanding. Fraud is fraud - material misrepresentation. Here, his cultural appropriation is a subset of his fraud (lying on his resume - and in media interviews, etc.).

This is fraud - which is wrong and illegal.

It's *also* cultural misrepresentation.

No different than if he'd stolen valor by pretending to have been a military veteran.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 10/12/2021 at 5:36 PM, thehumantorch said:

This. 100%.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, kav said:

Jane Roberts was friends with Bach and was in contact with him as he wrote it and talked about it in Seth speaks.  Seth spoke about the inspiration that Bach used from his inner self to write that book.  I do not believe this ex wife.

You weren't in that plane. So who cares who said what to who in some article or interview? She was pretty convincing. I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:20 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

You weren't in that plane. So who cares who said what to who in some article or interview? She was pretty convincing. I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

I believe she thinks she wrote the story-probably said something abt seagulls and took it from there.  I've known people like this.  Hell I know one dude who told people all my comic stories were stolen from him.  It was absurd.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:23 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

No. But this was a calculated scheme. Calculated scheming only becomes a mistake when grand plans fail.

Or like when people say they're sorry-only when they are caught and facing consequences.  If they were really sorry they would have come forward-not after they got caught.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:22 PM, kav said:

I believe she thinks she wrote the story-probably said something abt seagulls and took it from there.  I've known people like this.  Hell I know one dude who told people all my comic stories were stolen from him.  It was absurd.

Maybe. The writing style in JLS is different than his subsequent stuff. Only people who know for sure is he and Bette.

I have used the term "Gaslighting" or "Gaslight" for well over 35 years since I 1st saw the movie. I'm convinced someone stole it from me. xD

On 10/12/2021 at 3:27 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

Maybe. The writing style in JLS is different than his subsequent stuff. Only people who know for sure is he and Bette.

I have used the term "Gaslighting" or "Gaslight" for well over 35 years since I 1st saw the movie. I'm convinced someone stole it from me. xD

My brother came up with 'reality check'.  Not kidding.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:26 PM, kav said:

Or like when people say they're sorry-only when they are caught and facing consequences.  If they were really sorry they would have come forward-not after they got caught.

Human nature 101. I am thankful for the times I have gotten caught. I was always more humiliated than sorry. But those times taught me to not fawk people around. And so I apologize less. No one needed my baloney. I try really hard now to walk the line.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:08 PM, Gatsby77 said:

1) Yes - because it's stealing a job from otherwise qualified people who fit the actual cultural (and - from the employers' perspective - desired) background.

2) You're misunderstanding. Fraud is fraud - material misrepresentation. Here, his cultural appropriation is a subset of his fraud (lying on his resume - and in media interviews, etc.).

This is fraud - which is wrong and illegal.

It's *also* cultural misrepresentation.

No different than if he'd stolen valor by pretending to have been a military veteran.

What crime is it to misrepresent yourself, other than the Stolen Valor Act? I'm pretty sure Larry isn't actually a cable guy. Where is your issue with him?

Cultural misrepresentation- gie me a frigging break.  America is a melting pot.  We steal the best of everything, mix it together and repackage it as America.