• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CERTIFIED SIG WITH WRONG SIGNING DATE

8 posts in this topic

I picked this up awhile back without eyeballing every detail as well as I should have, I guess.

It's a Powers of X convention variant that wasn't released until November 2019.

The CGC header label has the signing noted as taking place in 2016, which is impossible since the comic did not exist then, and obviously not accurate info.

I don't see any signs of faking or forgery, so I have to presume that it's just a clerical mistake. If I submit for a reholder, is there any special request that I have to make to get the correct info on the header? First time that I've encountered this type of error.

PowersError.jpg

Contact CGC, they will tell you what to do. This has happened more than anyone would like to think it has (actually this is far more minor than what most of us have seen). I'm curious as to what they will do with this one as even if you just assume they mis-typed the year 2016 was supposed to be 2019, the book still wasn't out. 

I've submitted over 500 books for the Signature Series program at CGC and only had 1 experience with information being mislabeled.

Based on my experience, if you contact CGC and explain the situation, they will fix it at no cost to you! They were very professional and quick about this process.

Edited by seredynskib

While I agree with @seredynskib about CGC being professional about submissions, I've had a completely different "success" rate. I've submitted probably around 300 and I I've had about 10 mistakes (blue label supposed to be yellow, missing signer names, completely lost a submission that was eventually found 6 months later, didn't get a signature on an in-house submission...)

Thanks for the advice/comments! CGC customer service got on this one and we're having it fixed now. No hassles, no worries.

Again, first time I've personally seen this error from CGC with my own eyes, but I have encountered it with odd COA's and certifications over the years. It's always a clerical error. Numbers get swapped around, no one notices, everyone assumes someone else checked, and so on.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:39 PM, kypackman said:

Anybody ever had a signature on a book that was NOT supposed to be there?    As in, you submit for a particular signing and get the book back with someone else's signature that you did not ask or pay for?  

nothing wrong with the question, but it really probably would deserve it's own thread.  No need to revive a very loosely related dead topic to discuss it.  Feel free to start one!

On 1/6/2022 at 1:39 PM, kypackman said:

Anybody ever had a signature on a book that was NOT supposed to be there?    As in, you submit for a particular signing and get the book back with someone else's signature that you did not ask or pay for?  

Once, but the guy who got them for me had screwed up a previous order and it was his attempt to make up for it. I gave him a book for Herb Trimpe to do a Hulk181 style sketch and got a Len Wein bonus signature.