• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donny Cates return "Original" Cover art Miracleman # 1
1 1

63 posts in this topic

So…he didn’t know after all. 

Based on the previous thread, Albert did know this was a recreation and recreations are known to exist, so I wonder how that miscommunication happened? 

And this is why you do research before making a buy. I’ve said it before, I don’t know how buyers impulse buy at claim shows, especially when there is “it may have been published” is involved. 

I put my joke in the other thread, but

next thing you know Cates will be going nutso and trying to buy things he sees in Lee's old comic art ads!

He can be forgiven his enthusiasm and glad it worked out well for him. He will be getting needled about this for a long time.

But since no one knows the actual conversation, and I’ve no idea who Donny Cates is, the onus is on the dealer to explain the art to the buyer.

Could there be ANY comic art collectors who DON’T know what a recreation is?

If I pulled that garbage, there would be a lynch mob after me. 

Since Donny delete his original post
lets preserve this picture for the future.

I am sure this is not the last time we are going t see this kind of scenario...

"I might have just f-cked around and bought the original art to MIRACLEMAN #1"
adding
"I almost had a heart attack when I saw it for sale."

FBXUXEfXoAYxa4u.thumb.jpg.aa51ba805a09d202ba648a0f5253e76e.jpg

On 10/13/2021 at 8:58 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

Best guess you could generously give on this is Albert did say it was a recreation (which he was quoted elsewhere as saying it was) and Donny didn't hear it/understand what it meant.  Again, that's being very generous to Donny.

Yup. I just want to be clear, I just can’t imagine Albert not saying anything about it being a recreation, so how did that message not get through to Cates? Like you say, I’m giving a generous amount of benefit of the doubt that there was an honest communication breakdown here. 

On 10/13/2021 at 4:55 PM, John E. said:

Yup. I just want to be clear, I just can’t imagine Albert not saying anything about it being a recreation, so how did that message not get through to Cates? Like you say, I’m giving a generous amount of benefit of the doubt that there was an honest communication breakdown here. 

We can also imagine the situation where the two didn't communicate...

If Cates see the art, think it's the bargain of his life, give the money right away in ten seconds to Albert, would Albert necessarily say "I must warn you it's a recreation" ? (it's an open question)

On 10/13/2021 at 9:55 AM, John E. said:

I think his enthusiasm threw the blinders up. It's my understanding that he has seen some success in his Marvel/Independent work - the money may have represented an impulse buy. I don't get the impression that he is a collector, or that he understands the hobby. He knows and works with enough artists that I would think he would have a basic understanding of published vs recreation vs commission, but I don't know the guy. 

On 10/13/2021 at 9:30 AM, MOStateSuperman said:

I think his enthusiasm threw the blinders up. It's my understanding that he has seen some success in his Marvel/Independent work - the money may have represented an impulse buy. I don't get the impression that he is a collector, or that he understands the hobby. He knows and works with enough artists that I would think he would have a basic understanding of published vs recreation vs commission, but I don't know the guy. 

I did this on a piece of artwork at a Heritage auction.  Elric (Moorcock) book cover original artwork.  I was so excited I didn’t realize it was not an original, it was a limited edition print.  Still have it today.  Don’t regret it and I still thank god it didn’t get even remotely close to my maximum bid.