• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donny Cates return "Original" Cover art Miracleman # 1
1 1

63 posts in this topic

I would imagine that we have all been there...blood rushing in excitement so hard it makes it difficult to hear and think coherently. Don't show excitement, don't leave and come back, just get out the wallet before you pass out.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:58 PM, Bird said:

I would imagine that we have all been there...blood rushing in excitement so hard it makes it difficult to hear and think coherently. Don't show excitement, don't leave and come back, just get out the wallet before you pass out.

Completely fine, though he should perhaps clarify to BC that this wasn't misrepresented and its a oopsy on him (If Albert did convey that properly) 

That article makes it seems like it was a gotcha by some art bully. 

On 10/13/2021 at 5:26 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t think we’ve had this much fun since we had our last thread on Los Bros.

if they had sold it, and not Albert, it would have come with fake cover dress, a sketchy story about "alternate cover"  and they probably would not have given his money back.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:04 AM, batman_fan said:

Price to buy artwork: $10,000

This should've been his first clue that it was not the real thing, unless he's not very plugged into the OA world.  Or he believed that Albert Moy doesn't know how to price the pieces he puts on display.

Given that Mick Austin's cover to Warrior #7/Miracleman 3-D #1 sold for over $14k back in 2018, $10k for Miracleman #1 in 2021 would be highly wishful thinking.

Yeah, when I saw it posted on IG, I wanted to ask him how much he paid for it as that would've been the easy way to confirm it's legitimacy.  But I didn't think I'd get any response to that (it's "tacky", right?).   I asked him who he bought it from, but didn't get a response.  I also thought it was "odd" that he was able to just flatout buy the piece (assuming it was real) as it's an "auction piece".  

I subsequently posted a pic of his IG post in the NYCC thread where some of the other fellows quickly advised it was a recreation.  

On 10/13/2021 at 11:22 AM, lobrac said:

You'll find out when it's on Dueling Dealers tonight. 

Are you psychic ??  In last night's episode of Dueling Dealers ep #40 (skip to 26m in).  @romitaman mentioned that he sold a Miracleman cover recreation to Albert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvC_4J7NQbw

Edited by Will_K

On 10/14/2021 at 6:47 PM, chrisco37 said:

I also thought it was "odd" that he was able to just flatout buy the piece (assuming it was real) as it's an "auction piece".  

Lots of big pieces get sold directly and not through auctions.  In fact, from what one hears, it seems like many pieces at massive prices get sold privately.  So the fact that it was not sold through auction didn't necessarily mean anything.

This thread is awesome. For validating my decision to stop spending money in OA. Yes, let's pile on somebody for making a mistake. Let's save for posterity a deleted post so people can make fun of the guy ad aeternum. Maybe we should make it mandatory that people who attend a comic con memorize all the most recent auction results on HA, CL, or god forbid, CC?

On 10/14/2021 at 9:39 AM, bernoulli said:

This thread is awesome. For validating my decision to stop spending money in OA. Yes, let's pile on somebody for making a mistake. Let's save for posterity a deleted post so people can make fun of the guy ad aeternum. Maybe we should make it mandatory that people who attend a comic con memorize all the most recent auction results on HA, CL, or god forbid, CC?

1339377263_2606_shirt_517f1e5b54b0920c1b7acbb85ca86a84(2).jpeg.73474b0629d7a91c8f6080638a866924.jpeg

On 10/13/2021 at 10:42 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

if they had sold it, and not Albert, it would have come with fake cover dress, a sketchy story about "alternate cover"  and they probably would not have given his money back.

uhm, I have to go ask my brother.