• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPC codes on comics.
2 2

42 posts in this topic

I am doing some research on comics and I wonder does anyone know when they started adding the UPC code on comics?I know they started in the mid-late 1970's.  Does anyone know what the first comic to have it was. I have to say the UPC has changed the look and esthetic of the comic book cover. Thanks in advance.

Edited by APDallas

First barcodes on comics from the mainstream publishers:

DC & Charlton w/ cover dates - May 76

Marvel - June 76

Archie - September 76

Gold Key - June 77

Harvey - August 78

Charlton - Oct 75

Edited by steveinthecity
Correction to Charlton info

I remember going to one of the drug stores where I bought comics and having them scan them for the first time. It was a larger outfit so I guess they could afford the scanners. The smaller newstands still did it the old fashioned way by tallying up the marked price. Of course now all of this is ubiquitous and no one can do simple math let alone count change on their own.

On 10/13/2021 at 6:26 PM, steveinthecity said:

First barcodes on comics from the mainstream publishers:

DC & Charlton w/ cover dates - May 76

Marvel - June 76

Archie - September 76

Gold Key - June 77

Harvey - August 78

Charlton was October 1975.

@APDallas The House of Yang #2 that I posted above is cover dated October 1975, so Charlton (as usual) seems to have got in first. Of the Charlton books cover dated 10/75, the book also has the joint earliest 'on sale date' (July 3rd) so technically could be the joint first barcoded comic that you are looking for (tied with Billy The Kid #114). 

On 10/14/2021 at 5:20 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Nicely done.

I can honestly say I have never seen the cover to this issue nor do I recall ever seeing this title.

Charlton were the first at a lot of things as it goes Reggie. They beat Marvel (Jan 1982) and DC (Oct 1981) to dual UK/US printed cover pricing (where no separate UK Price Variant exists) by quite a margin:

63734010_1973.04Phantom55.jpg.a89aaf19b87c51de224d1d74cc744666.jpg
          Charlton - April 1973

Not bad for a company using a cereal box printer, eh - the first to realise that you only needed to print one issue type if you put both target prices on it!

Capture.thumb.PNG.d930e4d34be8e264c8b19a1822e28f7f.PNG

On last interesting snippet - you can see by the obliterated signature (Sanho Kim) how the barcode placement in that first month wasn't the layout consideration that it would soon become...

Capture.PNG.62d42bad6849e228916a51a08198baa5.PNG

Remember this is Charlton you are talking about. Those barcodes on House of Yang issues from 1975 and 1976 don't look real as they have numbers 0 to 9 or 9 to 0 rather than a  the expected10 digit code a scanner could read. I think "real" barcodes came later. But don't ask me to search for when/where.....

Perhaps October 1976??

ghostly haunts oct 76.jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 7:09 PM, steveinthecity said:

Thanks for catching that.  I had no memory of the barcodes being that early.

Charlton Comics give you more! :headbang:

On 10/14/2021 at 8:35 PM, Stronguy said:

It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I realized, the digits of the smaller barcode on the right are the publication month. :whatthe:

image.png.8c242d775c5338349012eda3b74ce459.png

See the pictures at the bottom of this journal entry Stronguy:

On 10/14/2021 at 8:13 PM, themagicrobot said:

So you still think Charlton comics dated October 1975 qualify as the first comics with barcodes even though they are pretend bar codes ?

Action comics May 1976 has a code that retailers with the technology could actually scan through their cash registers.

action may 1976.jpg

action may 1976 (2).jpg

What was the point of putting them on then Robot, if they were pretend? Do you know or are you guessing?

Where've you been anyway? I don't know, you don't ring, you don't write...