• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPC codes on comics.
2 2

42 posts in this topic

On 10/14/2021 at 2:56 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

See the pictures at the bottom of this journal entry Stronguy:

Thanks.  I guess it makes sense that it is the number of issues published thus far that year.  So in the 90's, when they were publishing weeklys for a few months, I would expect to see numbers easily into the 30s. 
2.PNG.7af301b358ec8e16b9e6bc2489ea68db.PNG

On 10/14/2021 at 9:01 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

What was the point of putting them on then Robot, if they were pretend? Do you know or are you guessing?

Where've you been anyway? I don't know, you don't ring, you don't write...

Didn't you yourself post an image what was obviously a a sample/example of a barcode with consecutive numbers identical to the Charlton Yang one?  A real barcode can't be 0123456789 (or even reversed) for every issue each month can it? A real barcode  is 10 (sometimes 11 or 12 these days) assorted numbers. If you ever go to a shop and the package is crinkled and the code won't scan then the cashier can squint at the numbers the bars represent and manually type them in.

No one rings or writes me either so I amused myself this afternoon by creating a giant T&P 9d in the back lawn with the mower until I was told to stop messing about.

0155_001.jpg

On 10/15/2021 at 12:25 PM, themagicrobot said:

Didn't you yourself post an image what was obviously a a sample/example of a barcode with consecutive numbers identical to the Charlton Yang one?  A real barcode can't be 0123456789 (or even reversed) for every issue each month can it? A real barcode  is 10 (sometimes 11 or 12 these days) assorted numbers. If you ever go to a shop and the package is crinkled and the code won't scan then the cashier can squint at the numbers the bars represent and manually type them in.

No one rings or writes me either so I amused myself this afternoon by creating a giant T&P 9d in the back lawn with the mower until I was told to stop messing about.

0155_001.jpg

we'd need an arial pic of THAT lawn! 

edit lol an aerial one too!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/15/2021 at 6:25 PM, themagicrobot said:

I know all that, I wanted to know if you knew why Charlton faked them for a bit? If that is what they were doing. 

On 10/15/2021 at 6:25 PM, themagicrobot said:

0155_001.jpg

Number nine, number nine...

Nothing nicer than a UK distribution crop circle. "Mum!  T&P landed in the garden last night. Left a big nine stamp". "Don't be silly dear. You know it's three stamp this month"

On 10/15/2021 at 6:57 PM, MAR1979 said:

Not sure why exactly but this has been a very fun topic to read. Thanks!

We try. Shame the OP bailed so soon. 

On 10/15/2021 at 8:35 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I know all that, I wanted to know if you knew why Charlton faked them for a bit? If that is what they were doing. 

I honestly haven't a scooby but every Charlton comic and Magazine from late 1975 to mid 1976 has that same 0123456789 code (sometimes reversed) on them. Perhaps it took them 8 months to realize they werren't doing it right when a few shops finally installed scanners and asked them what was going on? See also that Marvel comics still displayed 1/- prices more than 6 months after we went to decimal currency. Human error?

mad 194.jpg

Charlton may have been running the dummy UPC for a bit to get used to the placement and iron out other bugs before the real codes went live.  Which seems like a very odd way to go about things, but this is Charlton we're talking about.

Here's Emergency #1 and #2, the first seems to have the dummy UPC and the second seems to have a real one.

Emergency_1.jpg

Emergency_2.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

On 12/27/2022 at 3:28 AM, MAR1979 said:

In 1978 the definition was change to:

image.png.43ffbadbddcc1460cf7e366529caa695.png

Tragedy!

Cover placement's wrong and the artwork's gone

It's tragedy!

On 10/14/2021 at 2:01 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

marsh-supermarket-barcode.jpg.1e9a978471b1d95530eb43068f6ebc11.jpg

I was buying comics in Troy at a supermarket throughout the '70s, but missed my chance at being part of this history.  The supermarket we frequented was Pangles, not Marsh. :frustrated:

Edited by Warlord

On 1/1/2023 at 5:34 PM, Warlord said:

I was buying comics in Troy at a supermarket throughout the '70s, but missed my chance at being part of this history.  The supermarket we frequented was Pangles, not Marsh. :frustrated:

It could've been you....:sorry: