• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which BA writer do you think had the biggest impact on the medium going forward?
2 2

68 posts in this topic

I'm procrastinating today, so why not throw out a general discussion question on the boards?

I can think of a few writers who had a significant impact on the medium (that is, writing comics), but which one, in your opinion, had the greatest?

What does "impact" mean? You decide!

Some contenders:

Roy Thomas

Gerry Conway

Denny O'Neil

Chris Claremont

Steve Gerber

A few dark horse candidates:

Archie Goodwin (Although I think of him as an SA guy for some reason. Maybe because of the Warren magazines?)

Jack Kirby

Marv Wolfman

Len Wein

Some of my favorite BA writers aren't on the list, but I can't really see someone like Doug Moench, or Michael Fleischer exactly changing how comic book stories were told. 

On 10/14/2021 at 12:55 PM, Funnybooks said:

I think Roy Thomas from your list, especially if you also consider his stint as EIC at Marvel. He guided many of the BA book to prominence. If you discount his stint as an administrator and judge his significance based solely on his writing, then he falls behind Claremont. Love him or hate him, Claremont's stint on the x-books revived the title and put the Xmen on the map.

Somewhat similar to what Mr. Thomas did with Conan. I believe he brought that character to an audience that otherwise May not have ever picked up a Howard book.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:47 PM, MisterX said:

I guess I think of him as Copper Age, although the BA years seem to keep creeping into the 80s.

i thought bronze age goes to 83-84?  

frank miller for sure, for the latter part of bronze age comics. prior to that, i dont have a strong view. 

On 10/14/2021 at 2:55 PM, Funnybooks said:

I think Roy Thomas from your list, especially if you also consider his stint as EIC at Marvel. He guided many of the BA book to prominence. If you discount his stint as an administrator and judge his significance based solely on his writing, then he falls behind Claremont. Love him or hate him, Claremont's stint on the x-books revived the title and put the Xmen on the map.

he had a ton of uncredited co-plot from John Byrne at the time too 

On 10/15/2021 at 4:05 AM, steveinthecity said:

Somewhat similar to what Mr. Thomas did with Conan. I believe he brought that character to an audience that otherwise May not have ever picked up a Howard book.

I think Barry Smith deserves the credit for that. His artwork created a world that fired the imagination like none of his successors could. No Smith, no Conan/BA S&S explosion, IMHO

Edited by Albert Thurgood

On 10/14/2021 at 8:39 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

I think Barry Smith deserves the credit for that. His artwork created a world that fired the imagination like none of his successors could. No Smith, no Conan/BA S&S explosion, IMHO

I’ll have to disagree here.  Not downplaying BWS’s impact on Conan or comics in general, but I’ll give the nod to Thomas scripting 150+ issues and working in tandem(often) with Buscema(150+ issues) and Ernie Chan(175+) issues had a more far reaching impact.  

Edited by steveinthecity
Giving artists credit

This is an interesting topic, and it's tough to select just one writer.  But having to choose I'd go with Roy Thomas, too.  His adaptation of Conan did such a great job of bridging the gap and offering something imaginative and richly detailed for both young and mature readers.  But it was his work on multi-book story arcs that broke the mould, foreshadowing the rise of continuous story epics spanning 8 and 12 issues that followed.  My favorite long story arc in all of comics was Marvel's first, the Kree-Skrull war plotted and written by Roy and spanning 9 issues of Avengers.  Using multiple artists and containing excitement and twisting plot advances that made every issue a must read, it was Roy's innovative bronze age tour de force for me.

Honorable mention to Denny O'Neil, whose modernization of Green Lantern and Batman/Detective made those titles must reads at the time for any of them scripted by Denny, even for a Marvel zombie like me.  

Edited by namisgr