• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which BA writer do you think had the biggest impact on the medium going forward?
2 2

68 posts in this topic

On 10/14/2021 at 6:38 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I think Gerry Conway changed the entire trajectory of the Amazing Spider-Man universe with ASM 121-122.  

something I always wondered was if Stan was still involved enough with decisions at Marvel where he signed off on this of if he objected but let them do what they wanted.

On 10/15/2021 at 6:30 AM, Readcomix said:

Defenders :cloud9:

Loved his stint on Captain America and to a lesser degree Captain Marvel, but beyond those two and some JLA issues I can’t recall what else he was writing.

For Marvel, Avengers.  For DC, the classic collaborations with Marshall Rogers on Detective Comics and (often overlooked) Mister Miracle.  

After Englehart's sabbatical from comics, he returned in the 1980s for long runs on Silver Surfer and Green Lantern, but in my opinion nothing to match his 1970s output.  I'm a huge Englehart fan as well, and I see him blending the best of Roy Thomas' multi-issue, continuity-driven storylines and Denny O'Neil's attempt at realistic human relationships within comic book super-heroics.  Standing on the shoulders of giants, if you will.

Edited by Zonker
trying to clean up the past quotes

On 10/15/2021 at 11:52 AM, steveinthecity said:

I’ll have to disagree here.  Not downplaying BWS’s impact on Conan or comics in general, but I’ll give the nod to Thomas scripting 150+ issues and working in tandem(often) with Buscema(150+ issues) and Ernie Chan(175+) issues had a more far reaching impact.  

It's an argument for another thread, but if not for BWS, Conan would not have got off the ground and ran for all those other issues.

What does the market tell us? I just checked MCS for prices: the first Buscema Conan in CGC 9.6 is $129. The last BWS #24 is $1225 @ CGC 9.2 while #23 is $450 @ 7.5. Let's leave aside the last two BWS issues as they are influenced by the appearance of Red Sonja, but #19 CGC 9.6 is $359. Most of BWS' issues are classics. Frankly I don't remember much of the rest of the series and eventually stopped buying them at about #60. But yeah, this should be in another thread.

On 10/15/2021 at 5:15 PM, ganni said:

Paul Levitz

hm

Not meaning to discredit DC or it’s writers, but I think Marvel had a greater stable of talent and influence overall during the 70’s.

Edited by steveinthecity
add opinion to emoji

On 10/15/2021 at 4:43 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

It's an argument for another thread, but if not for BWS, Conan would not have got off the ground and ran for all those other issues.

What does the market tell us? I just checked MCS for prices: the first Buscema Conan in CGC 9.6 is $129. The last BWS #24 is $1225 @ CGC 9.2 while #23 is $450 @ 7.5. Let's leave aside the last two BWS issues as they are influenced by the appearance of Red Sonja, but #19 CGC 9.6 is $359. Most of BWS' issues are classics. Frankly I don't remember much of the rest of the series and eventually stopped buying them at about #60. But yeah, this should be in another thread.

I’m more than happy to discuss this in another thread.  It’s interesting to me. :)

While I understand you disagree with my Thomas/Conan statement, going back to the OP’s question “which BA writer had the biggest impact on the medium going forward?”

On 10/15/2021 at 5:17 PM, steveinthecity said:

hm

Not meaning to discredit DC or it’s writers, but I think Marvel had a greater stable of talent and influence overall during the 70’s.

I loved the DC writers during the BA (except their stories were the schitz) . . . :bigsmile:

On 10/14/2021 at 3:55 PM, Funnybooks said:

I think Roy Thomas from your list, especially if you also consider his stint as EIC at Marvel. He guided many of the BA book to prominence. If you discount his stint as an administrator and judge his significance based solely on his writing, then he falls behind Claremont. Love him or hate him, Claremont's stint on the x-books revived the title and put the Xmen on the map.

I think this is the most accurate point.

Chris Claremont is the (disputed) king of Bronze Age. Denny O'Neil unquestionably shifted Batman but the same can be said for Roy Thomas with him carrying Stan Lee's torch.
I peg these two Titans tied at a close 2nd place. I think O'Neil and Thomas ushered in the Bronze Age, but Claremont had the biggest impact.

Frank Miller is the (disputed) king of Copper Age. He defines CA. He does not belong in BA. Ronin is his ushering in BA and with Alan Moore, dominated comics of that era.