• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

writing on cover.
1 1

9 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I came over to this thread.

Any updates on how well ink doodles can be taken off of a cover?

And if a "product" is used will CGC detect it and give me a PLOD?

I just picked up this Superman 14.  I think it would be a solid mid grade if the doodles were removed.  The spine is nice with no splitting, the CF is well attached.

Just..... the dang ink doodles.

IMG_7791.jpeg

Wouldn’t mess with it. You might be able to mitigate somewhat with an eraser in the white areas, but not enough to completely get rid of it and you’d only risk damaging the paper. Still a nice looking book, and the kid graffiti goes with the territory.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, gadzukes said:

And if a "product" is used will CGC detect it and give me a PLOD?

Depends if the product used left any evidence behind that cgc is capable of detecting.

As for your other questions good luck. If I knew how to remove ink off of a half dozen different colors that was undetectable I would guard it like a secret family recipe. Not a cooking one either. More like a martial art or sword making. I would teach my oldest son. Maybe my other children if I was feeling generous. 

On 10/16/2021 at 2:34 PM, Grottu said:

Wouldn’t mess with it. You might be able to mitigate somewhat with an eraser in the white areas, but not enough to completely get rid of it and you’d only risk damaging the paper. Still a nice looking book, and the kid graffiti goes with the territory.

Pus one on that. At least you know you didn't put that ink there. You won't even be able to look at that book if you ruined it! 

I sent a query to CCS about the ink, and Matt N responded that there was really nothing they could do for it unless I didn't mind it becoming a PLOD.

Dang!

Hmmmm..... I might experiment with some light scraping (in the white areas).  I really don't like the doodles, but I LOVE this cover.

Edited by gadzukes