• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim lee signing
4 4

110 posts in this topic

Yeah -- I'm waiting for the same thing (for the 2021 event - been about 3 months).  

CGC sure took my money on time.   I've even emailed the Signature Series email directly and have had no response.

Why can't we at least get courtesy updates they event is delayed?

Just seems rude and unprofessional.

Edited by PDidds

On 10/15/2021 at 2:56 PM, MARK ARNEY said:

12 weeks on the jim lee signing. Did he even sign yet?

Nope, and in another thread about this topic, CGC basically said they have no clue when this signing will happen, which tells me they announced this before they had a clear agreement with Jim Lee and company, and now CGC is trying to save face by not giving more facts on why this is taking so long. Good luck getting any real information, even on the website there is nothing noted it was postponed, cancelled or rescheduled. 

I think that most of these signings are not scheduled like everyone thinks they are. I'd bet a lot of them are "scheduled" after the mail in date, especially the hard to schedulers like Lee so they can book the correct amount of time.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:24 AM, thesink said:

I think that most of these signings are not scheduled like everyone thinks they are. I'd bet a lot of them are "scheduled" after the mail in date, especially the hard to schedulers like Lee so they can book the correct amount of time.

Too bad if this is true. I've always held CGC in-house signings in high regard and trust that it will happen close to the closing. They do have an out statement that they will keep the books secured in case the signing is postponed, but this is beyond postponement if there was no firm schedule to begin with.

Desert Wind Comics also had a Jim Lee signing event -- they never answered me back if and when. Looks like CGC may be going the DWC way on this as well.

So unprofessional.

I understand trying to keep value in your Yellow Label - but this sort of delay with complete radio silence is just poor.   However, Jim Lee used to be a great guy with fan service -- but over the past 10 years he's become a real primadonna about a lot of things - I can totally imagine where the delays aren't a CGC mistake.  I mean, we all get old and grumpy, so I understand that too -- but to leave hundreds of fans hanging like this...just poor on both CGC and JIM LEE.

I don't like how CGC took our money in advance of this actually happening.  They must have known it was delayed. 

On 10/18/2021 at 11:24 AM, thesink said:

Hoping these individuals will show up, and not properly scheduling these as a practice, would be bad business, I don't see that being the case. CGC isn't saying much on this signing events failure, screams they dropped the ball on this event, and didn't schedule it correctly or failed to handle the rescheduling in a timely manner. Mistakes happen, just be honest, so we as customers can make an informed decision on weather we would like to wait it out, or move on and get our books back.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:26 PM, Majestros said:

Hoping these individuals will show up, and not properly scheduling these as a practice, would be bad business, I don't see that being the case. CGC isn't saying much on this signing events failure, screams they dropped the ball on this event, and didn't schedule it correctly or failed to handle the rescheduling in a timely manner. Mistakes happen, just be honest, so we as customers can make an informed decision on weather we would like to wait it out, or move on and get our books back.

What leads you to say that you "don't see that being the case" in regards to "proper" scheduling? Ask the Eastman signers how long it took. In my opinion CGC is as good or better than any of the other private event facilitators I've worked with in terms of delay past a cut-off date. FYI - I've got a book in for a Jim Lee sketch, so I'm just as anxious to have him there also.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:39 AM, thesink said:

What leads you to say that you "don't see that being the case" in regards to "proper" scheduling? Ask the Eastman signers how long it took. In my opinion CGC is as good or better than any of the other private event facilitators I've worked with in terms of delay past a cut-off date. FYI - I've got a book in for a Jim Lee sketch, so I'm just as anxious to have him there also.

I don't think you understood what I stated. 

Yeah -- like most of us -- mine since July 7th.   So nearly 4 months there and if the signing actually does happen next week -- then we're supposed to allow 6 more weeks for grading and slabbing -- so hopefully we will hear something by the week of Christmas.    lol  My xmas gift will likely be 8.5s for what I'm hoping are 9.8 books  lol 

On 10/29/2021 at 7:10 PM, PDidds said:

Yeah -- like most of us -- mine since July 7th.   So nearly 4 months there and if the signing actually does happen next week -- then we're supposed to allow 6 more weeks for grading and slabbing -- so hopefully we will hear something by the week of Christmas.    lol  My xmas gift will likely be 8.5s for what I'm hoping are 9.8 books  lol 

On 11/3/2021 at 12:42 PM, pelleusmc said:

CGC received comic on 07/06/21,  still scheduled for grading, with no light at the end of the tunnel.

https://fb.watch/92xey9Ef2q/

In short for those who don't do social media, Jim Lee is signing this week (thumbsu 

so movement soon we hope :tink: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I sent in two submissions, 1 for the full sketch and another for the signature only.  Glad to see something is happening.

Now with the holidays coming up, I say the over/under for getting them back around St. Patrick's day, just being somewhat optimistic I guess. 

Using Friday as the end of the signing date. 

books without pressing will ship sometime around 12/22/2021

books with pressing will ship sometime around 1/07/2022 

cgc has been pretty good on their estimated timelines with regards to these signings (I’ve done about 10 and only 2 times were they off)

On 11/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, thesink said:

cgc has been pretty good on their estimated timelines with regards to these signings (I’ve done about 10 and only 2 times were they off)

I agree the Eastman and bagley possibly, and maybe the walt simonson.

Lord willing it'll all be quicker! My Campbell is already back from pressing and is sfg, I'm excited! I've had some books on regular subs, been waiting 8 months 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/3/2021 at 5:52 PM, thesink said:

I guess I might be the exception.  Like you I do 8-10 Signature series events a year and usually they have gone pretty smoothly.

But Currently I have 2 Submissions that have lost their way:

Walt Simonson:  Currently been in the G.E.I (Grading/encapsulation/Imaging) stage since the first week of September, went through C.C.S. Pressing after signing.

Roy Thomas:  Currently G.E.I. stage since the second week of September, went through C.C.S. Pressing after signing

Based on C.G.C. "first in, first out" motto, these books were received the first week of the announced signing and sat for a at least a month of two before the event.  Same with the Jim Lee signing that was received the first week and sat 4 plus months at C.G.C.

Normally for me once my books hit the G.E.I. stage it would take about 2 weeks before being shipped, 3 tops.

Now its sitting on week 8 and 9 respectively with no movement at all.

So you can see my sarcasm in the matter and why I don't see the Jim Lee Sketch coming back to me before St. Patrick's day.

On 11/4/2021 at 4:14 AM, topedaddy said:

I guess I might be the exception.  Like you I do 8-10 Signature series events a year and usually they have gone pretty smoothly.

But Currently I have 2 Submissions that have lost their way:

Walt Simonson:  Currently been in the G.E.I (Grading/encapsulation/Imaging) stage since the first week of September, went through C.C.S. Pressing after signing.

Roy Thomas:  Currently G.E.I. stage since the second week of September, went through C.C.S. Pressing after signing

Based on C.G.C. "first in, first out" motto, these books were received the first week of the announced signing and sat for a at least a month of two before the event.  Same with the Jim Lee signing that was received the first week and sat 4 plus months at C.G.C.

Normally for me once my books hit the G.E.I. stage it would take about 2 weeks before being shipped, 3 tops.

Now its sitting on week 8 and 9 respectively with no movement at all.

So you can see my sarcasm in the matter and why I don't see the Jim Lee Sketch coming back to me before St. Patrick's day.

Where do you get that "first in, first out" applies to in-house signing (I've read others say the same thing, but I have never seen this in writing from CGC)?  I ask this because "first in, first out" makes sense for grading order but since all books technically only go for grading post signing (or pressing) they are all in the same bucket as far as timing. 

As far as you're submissions that have "lost their way" you're Roy Thomas still has 6 days before it is even at the ESTIMATED return time. Roy signing was the weekend of Sept 12th using the 13th as the first day your book with CCS pressing is ESTIMATED to be shipped back 11/10/21 (you've got to at least give them the full timeline they estimated before saying they missed their estimations). Walt Simonson signing was 08/27/21 and the estimated return date is 10/28/21.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:55 AM, thesink said:

Where do you get that "first in, first out" applies to in-house signing (I've read others say the same thing, but I have never seen this in writing from CGC)?  I ask this because "first in, first out" makes sense for grading order but since all books technically only go for grading post signing (or pressing) they are all in the same bucket as far as timing. 

As far as you're submissions that have "lost their way" you're Roy Thomas still has 6 days before it is even at the ESTIMATED return time. Roy signing was the weekend of Sept 12th using the 13th as the first day your book with CCS pressing is ESTIMATED to be shipped back 11/10/21 (you've got to at least give them the full timeline they estimated before saying they missed their estimations). Walt Simonson signing was 08/27/21 and the estimated return date is 10/28/21.

I agree with you.

If I were a betting man, I would not count on FIFO for the Jim Lee signing or any 'in-house' signing.  They had to be received, then opened, then processed, then transported to Jim Lee, then signed by Jim Lee, then boxed, then transported back to CGC, with some of them going to pressing, others possibly to a higher tier, then to actual grading.  I don't think CGC made a coordinated effort to keep everything in order at every point in the process, and how would the customer even know.

A side note:  This was almost certainly one of the bigger signings, so the gap between the first comic graded/shipped out and the last comic graded/shipped out could be significant, especially in cold/flu season (mixed w/pandemic) and all the holidays in these two months.