• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

done
2 2

21 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2021 at 4:31 PM, Ed Hanes said:

LOL (on SCS)...

and you could be right about the current grading ..but I send a lot of mycomicshop graded books to CGC for slabbing..and so far they have been pretty much the same

MCS is very tight/conservative when grading books to begin with. 2c

While it's generally believed there are tight and loose periods when it comes to CGC grading, you can probably find "gift grades" and "hammered grades" from just about any time in the company's history. One can't tell every flaw from looking at a slab, and even grader's notes can be vague. Trust your eyes. If a book looks overgraded to you, then to you it is overgraded, no matter who did the grading. 

On 10/15/2021 at 5:03 PM, rjpb said:

While it's generally believed there are tight and loose periods when it comes to CGC grading, you can probably find "gift grades" and "hammered grades" from just about any time in the company's history. One can't tell every flaw from looking at a slab, and even grader's notes can be vague. Trust your eyes. If a book looks overgraded to you, then to you it is overgraded, no matter who did the grading. 

true

On 10/15/2021 at 8:50 PM, Ed Hanes said:

Because I sell comics and count on my reputation to pass along a comic that is properly graded. If I feel a slabbed comic I buy is mis-graded I will remove it from the slab and eventually have it regraded...and I also value my own integrity...it's how I live my life

Why would you buy a book that you thought was overgraded?   Paying for a 9.0 in order to pay to have it downgraded so you can sell it as an 8.0 doesn't seem particularly efficent. Ever think about buying 8.0s that look like 8.0s? 

On 10/15/2021 at 9:01 PM, shadroch said:

Why would you buy a book that you thought was overgraded?   Paying for a 9.0 in order to pay to have it downgraded so you can sell it as an 8.0 doesn't seem particularly efficent. Ever think about buying 8.0s that look like 8.0s? 

done

Edited by Ed Hanes

You should have mentioned the book was coming from Europe. Evidently that changes everything.  I don't really care if a seller overgrades his books.  If a book is fairly priced, the seller can call it a 9.9 if he wants. 

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. You bought a book you thought was overgraded and spent fifty dollars or so to prove yourself right. Is there a reason you wouldn't just sell the book raw if you disagreed with the assigned grade. 

I'm a bit surprised an experianced buyer/seller such as yourself isn't aware of shaken comic syndrome, btw.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:20 PM, shadroch said:

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. You bought a book you thought was overgraded and spent fifty dollars or so to prove yourself right. Is there a reason you wouldn't just sell the book raw if you disagreed with the assigned grade. 

done

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 10/16/2021 at 12:23 AM, Ed Hanes said:

Also, I would say that 90% (this is by no means an accurate number, just my way of saying 'majority') of sellers over-grade their books.

O.K., how in the hell, if you're selling a slabbed comic, do you overgrade it? Do you call it a (9.0), when it says (in the slab), by the way, 8.0? Just curious.

Should I call this one a 9.0?

Batman 423 8.5.jpg

On 10/16/2021 at 2:29 AM, Spawnfreak said:

O.K., how in the hell, if you're selling a slabbed comic, do you overgrade it? Do you call it a (9.0), when it says (in the slab), by the way, 8.0? Just curious.

Should I call this one a 9.0?

Batman 423 8.5.jpg

sigh..

Edited by Ed Hanes