• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why don't some people understand that the comics that they list for sale are delicate items?
1 1

81 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2021 at 4:26 PM, Fisionbomb said:

You also have the sellers that TRY TOO HARD: Bagged/Boarded, cardboard sandwich, in a Gemini, Gemini wrapped in bubble wrap, in a priority mail box, perfect!  .... but they've taped the book to the cardboard with 1,000,000 layers of duct tape making it impossible to safely remove the book. You get to enjoy this AFTER you've cut through the prior 1,000,000 layers of tape around the bubble wrap, to get to the 1,000,000 layers of tape around the Gemini.........

So yeah, common sense.

yes I have damaged a book removing it from inscrutable and overdone packing also.

On 10/16/2021 at 12:59 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

But I guess my comic ego gets triggered when someone assumes I don’t know how to handle comic books.:insane:

And when I'm dealing with someone that knows how to package books properly, I send a message saying "THANK YOU for packing these books so well...I really appreciate it!"  :foryou:

On 10/16/2021 at 7:46 PM, Turtle said:

Someone else alluded to this, but I get messages like this fairly often.  I tend to have thick skin, but I find these messages insulting.  Not enough to purposely pack something poorly, but enough for me to roll my eyes before packing properly. 

For me, I treat it a bit like writing "fragile" on a package.  With that information, people will seldom act any differently after seeing "Fragile" but there are many people who will mess with it out of spite, boredom, or ignorance.  I've found it safer to send packages without "fragile" written on them for fear that it's just tempting fate to add it.  I feel the same about the "please pack well" messages.  I don't believe that the message will save an otherwise substandard packing job.  If they're going to pack well, they're going to do it even without your asking for it.

I used to find them annoying. Now it's become entertainment. When they want them packed good then packed good is what they get. My minions are excellent packers, especially with youtube people. It's the highlight of my day to watch a guy do a unboxing and shredded paper and peanuts going all over the place as he tries getting the book out of the box. I hate to waste tape but sometimes it's worth it. But yeah, I"ll pack it good for ya. Next YouTuber who ask me to make sure I pack with care is getting one of those russian style packing jobs. Open the box and there's a slightly smaller box, open that box a slightly smaller box etc etc etc. There viewers will get a kick out of it. 

On 10/16/2021 at 8:07 PM, kav said:

yes I have damaged a book removing it from inscrutable and overdone packing also.

lol I love overwrapping my Aunt's Christmas gift each year just for the lulz. 

But seriously, I have seen this as well and it can be a pain in the tookus.   There is a fine line between packing very well and packing to the point where any attempt at removing the packing material runs the risk of destroying the item. 

On 10/16/2021 at 12:59 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I have always been polite and assure the buyer that I will take great care in packing their items.   

But I guess my comic ego gets triggered when someone assumes I don’t know how to handle comic books.:insane:

I get that too but I try to take it in stride because I figure this guy has been burned before. 

What is more annoying is when you ask the seller to box something, they say they know what they are doing and they send a piece of artwork in an oversized envelope with the instructions stamped in it, "Do not bend" and are incredulous when they receive an email that the artwork was in fact bent.  smh 

On 10/16/2021 at 6:22 PM, Namtak said:

Thats right!me personally i get nervous seeing the item packed arrive and while opening it tries to see if its damaged or not.once everything was well packed but while going through the border us/Canada they oppened it with what seems to have been a very big butcher knife and opened a sealed mint ps1 game by accident (they cut too deep!)anyway i digress the point being since i buy from the boards here packing is impeccable !not opened  yet and you know the items are safe(thumbsu!and buzz is really meticulous and its appreciated , elswhere is not the same it can be nerve-racking.i dont mind paying extra shipping if it means that délicate items will be better protected.some seller thinks that cheaper the shipping is the better:facepalm:,at least its not the case with you guys, been there it sucks i feel your pain.

Thank you,

On 10/16/2021 at 11:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

I get that too but I try to take it in stride because I figure this guy has been burned before. 

What is more annoying is when you ask the seller to box something, they say they know what they are doing and they send a piece of artwork in an oversized envelope with the instructions stamped in it, "Do not bend" and are incredulous when they receive an email that the artwork was in fact bent.  smh 

"Do not bend" has even less currency with my local USPS than "fragile". If their delivery guy can fit it in the little.box, then by god, it is going in the box, even if it requires postal origami to do so.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:46 AM, Turtle said:

Someone else alluded to this, but I get messages like this fairly often.  I tend to have thick skin, but I find these messages insulting.  Not enough to purposely pack something poorly, but enough for me to roll my eyes before packing properly. 

For me, I treat it a bit like writing "fragile" on a package.  With that information, people will seldom act any differently after seeing "Fragile" but there are many people who will mess with it out of spite, boredom, or ignorance.  I've found it safer to send packages without "fragile" written on them for fear that it's just tempting fate to add it.  I feel the same about the "please pack well" messages.  I don't believe that the message will save an otherwise substandard packing job.  If they're going to pack well, they're going to do it even without your asking for it.

Thanks Turtle - that's food for thought. 

When I was actively selling, I used to include a 'how I pack' statement in each listing to reassure those that might be worried about their delicate purchase. I still received the odd request for decent packing but that didn't bother me at all - I understood their concern, and took pleasure in knowing that they would be happy. I got a lot of repeat buyers that way.

The note I add to sellers who don't make it clear how they pack is this (in the PayPal payment note section): "Please pack them well with lots of cardboard - my Postman likes to bend things! :)"

If you're telling me that would insult you then that may explain it. You've said you would still pack well, but I guess others wouldn't and would take that perceived insult as you call it out on their buyer. It's all down to the type of person you're dealing with I suppose. As you say, there are those in life that will deliberately manhandle a package marked fragile.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:08 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Usual story. Some sixty year old comics are listed on eBay by a seller with a long history of positive feedback. They are immaculate. Nothing pricey, but I collect them and they are immaculate. 

I win, and send the usual message - "Please pack them well (smiley face)". I add a few suggestions as to what that might mean, being careful not to insult them - they have 100% positive feedback, after all.

A week later they arrive loose in a jiffy bag. No cardboard, no bags, no boards. During the journey, the bag has been folded, creased, dented and crushed, entirely as you would expect. The comics, whilst still lovely and clean, are now creased, dented, split and effectively ruined. They survived 60 years, somehow, in a wonderfully preserved state. The seller takes the trouble to sell them. And then proceeds to destroy them.

I will never understand why they do that. I will never understand the mind that places paper comics in an unsupported A4 bag, and does not for one second, seemingly, consider the chances of that paper comic arriving at its destination in the same condition. I can only conclude that these people are morons. Utter morons. As are those that leave them the 100% positive feedback that they - inexplicably if this is indicative of their normal packing methods - manage to acquire. 

Poor comics. 

You can't be a comic collector of course, and expect never to experience this. It goes with the territory because other people go with the territory. And sometimes, other people cannot be trusted. Because they are morons. 

If they have 100% feedback, you may be the only person they've done this to.

On 10/16/2021 at 9:13 PM, Thisisrequired said:

I used to find them annoying. Now it's become entertainment. When they want them packed good then packed good is what they get. My minions are excellent packers, especially with youtube people. It's the highlight of my day to watch a guy do a unboxing and shredded paper and peanuts going all over the place as he tries getting the book out of the box. I hate to waste tape but sometimes it's worth it. But yeah, I"ll pack it good for ya. Next YouTuber who ask me to make sure I pack with care is getting one of those russian style packing jobs. Open the box and there's a slightly smaller box, open that box a slightly smaller box etc etc etc. There viewers will get a kick out of it. 

Haha. The ol' Russian Nesting Doll approach. A TV box all the way down to a 3x5 index card sized box where the encapsulated baseball card rests.

On 10/16/2021 at 5:31 AM, comicdonna said:

The last time I gave packing instructions, the thick cardboard was placed in the centerfold, ruining the HG comic.  The time before that, the book was wrapped in plastic, and shrink wrapped with heat to a size smaller than the comic.  These days, I only buy from reputable sellers on the boards, reputable dealers and a few auction houses.  

Poor mans attempt at a CGC encapsulation? hm

On 10/17/2021 at 9:37 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

She said "Yes Master" after you rubbed the genie bottle hm that would have worked for you.

image.png.edc2c5bf24cbd3a2231ff6fb05a4f43a.png

this show would not fly today.