• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why don't some people understand that the comics that they list for sale are delicate items?
1 1

81 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2021 at 5:08 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Usual story. Some sixty year old comics are listed on eBay by a seller with a long history of positive feedback. They are immaculate. Nothing pricey, but I collect them and they are immaculate. 

I win, and send the usual message - "Please pack them well (smiley face)". I add a few suggestions as to what that might mean, being careful not to insult them - they have 100% positive feedback, after all.

A week later they arrive loose in a jiffy bag. No cardboard, no bags, no boards. During the journey, the bag has been folded, creased, dented and crushed, entirely as you would expect. The comics, whilst still lovely and clean, are now creased, dented, split and effectively ruined. They survived 60 years, somehow, in a wonderfully preserved state. The seller takes the trouble to sell them. And then proceeds to destroy them.

I will never understand why they do that. I will never understand the mind that places paper comics in an unsupported A4 bag, and does not for one second, seemingly, consider the chances of that paper comic arriving at its destination in the same condition. I can only conclude that these people are morons. Utter morons. As are those that leave them the 100% positive feedback that they - inexplicably if this is indicative of their normal packing methods - manage to acquire. 

Poor comics. 

You can't be a comic collector of course, and expect never to experience this. It goes with the territory because other people go with the territory. And sometimes, other people cannot be trusted. Because they are morons. 

I can't say how many times that this has happened to me with comics, many dozens if not over a hundred.  But when you collect non-comic magazines, it's even worse.  Because a lot of people recognize that comics have value.  But old issues of Collier's or a 1950s Detective magazine, I've seen some very messed up things.  Including packages that are pretty much impossible to open without damaging the book.

Very frustrating.

On 10/18/2021 at 12:07 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I can't say how many times that this has happened to me with comics, many dozens if not over a hundred.  But when you collect non-comic magazines, it's even worse.  Because a lot of people recognize that comics have value.  But old issues of Collier's or a 1950s Detective magazine, I've seen some very messed up things.  Including packages that are pretty much impossible to open without damaging the book.

Very frustrating.

Thanks Randall. I started the thread because this is a comic forum and I thought we'd all like another opportunity to moan about something that affects us all in the hobby - the inexplicably bad packaging from some sellers and their ability to maintain a positive feedback record (rooted, I think, in the general fear of reprisals). Like most, I pack sensibly and carefully whether the book is a 99p sale or in the hundreds. And I respond normally to requests from those who may still be fearful, despite my stating how I pack in my listings. "You will take care with it, won't you?" "Yes, yes of course. Don't worry". I have over 3,000 100% positive feedbacks on eBay. You get that by being decent, fair, professional. But this is online, and it always brings out the alternative view doesn't it. I now have to consider whether the polite, jokey, smiley face notes that I send to some sellers are actually an insult, and an implied request for them to damage the product they are selling me and sabotage their own sale.  Which brings me back to my opening post, and conclusion about some people. 

@greggy @kav

And on that subject, gents, can you two please not do your 'that's what she said' routine in threads that I start please. I want people to enjoy the topic being discussed, not your stream of repetitive unfunny clutter. Please take it elsewhere. 

Thank you. 

On 10/18/2021 at 5:15 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

@greggy @kav

And on that subject, gents, can you two please not do your 'that's what she said' routine in threads that I start please. I want people to enjoy the topic being discussed, not your stream of repetitive unfunny clutter. Please take it elsewhere. 

Thank you. 

But it adds so much value to the conversation...  

Back on topic, it was painful to see some of the packages I've received over the years.  If a buyer does have a request for packaging, I do try to accommodate it if I can.  I have had some sellers who get nasty with their responses when I show them how amazing their packing job was by using plain manila envelopes with no reinforcement or bags/boards.  I've also had some cheapskates send a slab in a bubble mailer via media mail after charging $15 for shipping.  That irritates me, and the feedback will be reflective of it.  

On 10/18/2021 at 8:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Please take it elsewhere.

That's what sh... oh, never mind.

I agree with your sentiments Steve. I always pack carefully, but I got a message from one guy who said that although everything was fine when it arrived, he thought I could improve and made some suggestions. I adopted one of them and my 100% safe arrival rate is still 100%, but it might make the recipients happier, so I'm happy to do it.

I also got a GA book that crossed the Pacific safely, being wrapped in tissue paper (with a pink bow!) and being placed in a manilla envelope with a nice hand drawn greeting card and a message from an antique seller who 'rarely deals in paper materials'. I didn't have the heart to get antsy about it.

On 10/18/2021 at 1:12 PM, AJD said:

That's what sh... oh, never mind.

See, that was actually funny. The difference between those with wit and those who are full of that other useful four letter word that sounds like it.

I agree with your sentiments Steve. I always pack carefully, but I got a message from one guy who said that although everything was fine when it arrived, he thought I could improve and made some suggestions. I adopted one of them and my 100% safe arrival rate is still 100%, but it might make the recipients happier, so I'm happy to do it.

Exactly. You want your buyers to be happy, so what's the big deal if they ask for an extra slice of card or something? You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

I also got a GA book that crossed the Pacific safely, being wrapped in tissue paper (with a pink bow!) and being placed in a manilla envelope with a nice hand drawn greeting card and a message from an antique seller who 'rarely deals in paper materials'. I didn't have the heart to get antsy about it.

I give those types a pass too, Andy. They've found some comics in the loft, don't understand the medium, but display a warmth that shows good intent. I can see the difference between those who are a little naïve, but with good intent, and those who are just lazy and indifferent. 

On 10/18/2021 at 1:29 PM, KPR Comics said:

My guess is it wasn't so much the request to pack securely, rather the suggestions of how to pack.

If you're referring to the case in my opening post, my message, added as a note to the PayPal payment, was this (my usual one):

"Please pack them well with lots of card - my Postman likes to bend things! :)"

I suspect that they didn't read it as it wasn't a direct message via eBay. But my frustration is that the thought did not occur to them in the first instance - the thought that comics might need some reinforcement beyond a jiffy bag. 

Comics I’ve sold here on the boards are packed and shipped as best I can.  I’ve had one or two instances where the USPS beat the krap out of them, but my packaging protected the contents.  I secure items how I would like to receive them if I was the buyer.  There was only one instance where some raws were damaged in a package because there was a huge hole poked into the shipping box. (shrug)

Some people don’t care, others are cheap and will nickel and dime shipping.  It’s unfortunate, but luckily there are plenty of us sellers out there that let their OCD kick in when it’s time to ship comics…even slabs.  Gotta protect the books!!! 🤙

Edited by Galen130

On 10/18/2021 at 1:46 PM, Galen130 said:

Gotta protect the, books!!! 🤙

That’s the ‘sacred pamphlets’ of course.

All attempts must be made to prevent postal desecration.

On 10/18/2021 at 1:40 PM, KPR Comics said:

Ah.  Your original post mentioned a few suggestions

It did, apologies. It was more of a conversational opener, than a precise detailed breakdown of the specific event.

On 10/18/2021 at 1:50 PM, Fisionbomb said:

That's what she said. 

Again, fairly funny given the preceding comment and context. Used sparingly, and with wit, it can make one smile. 

On 10/18/2021 at 10:07 AM, KPR Comics said:

She said, what's that?

One things for sure...

Victor totally burned down Cherrelle's she-shed. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM