• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This may be an unpopular opinion. CGC needs a submission freeze.
4 4

202 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2021 at 11:02 PM, drotto said:

Unfortunately for the comic community, and very fortunate for CGC, they are viewed by most collectors as the industry leader when it comes to grading.  Yes there are others, but if you look at value added to a book as seen in the market, no of the others even come close.  I fully admit (which may be very short sighted of me), that I only have CGC slabs, and really only consider CGC slabs when looking for graded books. It seems clear that many consumers have the same sentiment. 

I love the other companies slabs but only because they used to sell for so much less. Now just less so not as enticing. But 90 some and high 90s percent of people slab to resell whether now or down the road and if you aren't using cgc you are losing money. I dunno who uses the other companies. Cgc could kill my dog and sleep with my wife and I wouldn't go to the other guys. Who wants to sell books for less money? The main other isn't even much cheaper. They or a new company could take a ton of business if they were willing to slash prices. I have a plan to destroy cgc. I told some friends of mine. I don't think they are up for it though. I am not interested. But if someone who is known and respected and has the funding and wants to be the biggest comic slab company in the world hit me up. Otherwise cgc it is which I am fine with. 

On 10/17/2021 at 11:14 PM, MattTheDuck said:

It most certainly is.  You're the one who brought up "only paying once services have been rendered" with no mention of any timelines or delays.  I don't allow weaseling out of what people said and meant.

I disagree.  I buy food at a fast food place and expect I will get food momentarily.  That is my agreement with them, it is their established and understood business model. If they failed their end of the bargain within a few minutes, I would ask for a refund, and not give them more business if it happened consistently.  CGC claims on their website what their TAT is, so as a consumer they should be fulfilling their end of the transaction. By consistently showing their stated TAT times are meaningless, they are not upholding their end of the agreement.  I am not getting the service I paid for, part of that is honoring their stated TAT's.  If they can not make good on that, it is their responsivity to fix that problem.  The issue is that for comic slabbing, CGC is essentially a monopoly.  

Edited by drotto

On 10/17/2021 at 9:24 PM, KCOComics said:

I suspect it wouldn't come from today's competition. 

Voldemort is flawed. Their website is worse than this one, if that was possible. Their SS program is a joke, completely unreliable, and their grades are inconsistent, which granted, CGC is as well. The fan club over there is more of a hindrance than allowing them to simp over their books. They also delete posts that directly address problems with the system, which cripples them because at least CGC allows dialog regarding issues with TAT's 

Everyone else can't detect restoration and/or is even more morally corrupt.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:30 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Voldemort is flawed. Their website is worse than this one, if that was possible. Their SS program is a joke, completely unreliable, and their grades are inconsistent, which granted, CGC is as well. The fan club over there is more of a hindrance than allowing them to simp over their books. They also delete posts that directly address problems with the system, which cripples them because at least CGC allows dialog regarding issues with TAT's 

Everyone else can't detect restoration and/or is even more morally corrupt.

Also, I view signature verification services that other companies offer as worthless. Handwriting analysis is a difficult and inexact science.  I doubt a comic slabbing company is capable of doing it. SO I respect that CGC will only slab and guarantee verified signatures.

Edited by drotto

On 10/17/2021 at 9:34 PM, drotto said:

Also, I view signature verification services that other companies offer as worthless. Handwriting analysis is a difficult and inexact science.  I doubt a comic slabbing company is capable of doing it. SO I respect that CGC will only witness verified signatures.

Exactly, a policy all grading companies should adopt moving forward. It's the only guaranteed way to verify

On 10/17/2021 at 11:29 PM, JollyComics said:

Like USPS, slow, erroneous, thief, mismanagement and many incidents but they still raise the price. No sense! 

This has also lead to companies like UPS, FedEx, and others coming in and filling the void.  We do not have that.

Edited by drotto

On 10/17/2021 at 11:23 PM, kav said:

If a company has too much business, raise the price.

Didn't they just do this? I like your thinking though. Raise it again! 

Maybe give a warning announcement so everyone can rush in massive submissions.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:37 PM, drotto said:

This has also lead to companies like UPS, FedEx, and other coming in and filling the void.  We do not have that.

Not many have the 10 million or so it takes to start up such a company

It's a huge risk, and even if, you're looking at a minimum of 5 years before turning enough profit to be sustainable. 

The equipment and expertise needed is so expensive. Which is why CGC is able to poach the highest quality persons in regards to knowledge and expertise 

Apparently there is someone who may be entering the arena of grading, guess we will wait and see if it pans out into something viable

On 10/18/2021 at 1:48 PM, drotto said:

I do not know if this is even appropriate to post, or even allowed.  I think CGC needs to follow PSA's lead from a few months  ago an freeze submissions.  I have a had good sized stack of books ready to be sent in,  that I intend to sell, but it make no sense given the lead times right now. Do others agree?  Would it even help?

Not responding to new orders, and putting them on a shelf for a few months is the same thing as a shutdown.   What CGC is doing is just massaging the optics for the consumer.   No shut down, but a heck of a long wait instead (thumbsu

On 10/17/2021 at 11:52 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Instead of being outraged about TAT I would be about QC

Damaged books, wrong labels, books upside down...  totally unacceptable. 

This would support a pause even more. Announce that the action is needed to correct multiple issues, and I think the consumer would actually cheer the decision.

Has PSA been hurt by their decision, not that I have heard or seen. 

Freezing submissions does nothing to TATs.

Why you ask? Because if you submit to CGC you'll just hold your books until CGC opens up again (which will create the exact same situation we are in now).  If you don't care which company to submit to you won't submit to CGC right now cause their TATs are long.

On 10/18/2021 at 12:02 AM, Iceman399 said:

Freezing submissions does nothing to TATs.

Why you ask? Because if you submit to CGC you'll just hold your books until CGC opens up again (which will create the exact same situation we are in now).  If you don't care which company to submit to you won't submit to CGC right now cause their TATs are long.

Thing is I do care.  CGC for better or worse is the industry leader.  For resale, they are the only company where the return on investment to get your books graded is consistent and undeniably.   For the other companies, grading does not consistently increase the value of the book.

And yes, it could be used to improve TAT's.  If they used the time to expand capacity, train new workers, get their QC figured out, and work through the backlog.  If all this was in place when you started to except new submissions, the TAT in theory would be way down.

Edited by drotto

One benefit of shutting down would be they could devote the resources to hire and train more people.  Working fulltime, each grader could teach a small group of trainees in a few weeks. Same thing for  other departments. 

On 10/17/2021 at 10:00 PM, shadroch said:

One benefit of shutting down would be they could devote the resources to hire and train more people.  Working fulltime, each grader could teach a small group of trainees in a few weeks. Same thing for  other departments. 

I believe they have more openings than applicants.