• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This may be an unpopular opinion. CGC needs a submission freeze.
4 4

202 posts in this topic

There is an ongoing thread here looking for graders

The problem may lie in the location?

If it is like nursing, the state is known for wage suppression and lousy working conditions. During these ‘COVID’ times hospitals everywhere complain about a nursing shortage. Well there is no shortage here, in fact there is a long wait list to get in. Something about highest wages and guaranteed ratios that brings the workers

Funny how that works. 
Has anyone looked at the job openings? Lots of great graders in the forums here, would anyone want to work for CGC for what they pay?

On 10/17/2021 at 11:30 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Voldemort is flawed. Their website is worse than this one, if that was possible. Their SS program is a joke, completely unreliable, and their grades are inconsistent, which granted, CGC is as well. The fan club over there is more of a hindrance than allowing them to simp over their books. They also delete posts that directly address problems with the system, which cripples them because at least CGC allows dialog regarding issues with TAT's 

Everyone else can't detect restoration and/or is even more morally corrupt.

I was thinking about Voldemort when I started reading this thread. I haven't followed them closely, but the above seem like side issues to me. What do you think is the real reason they never took off? There was a lot of buzz when they started and I'm honestly surprised they are not more of a market presence today.

Honestly, I don't think a submissions freeze is the right choice now; it may have been earlier. They are slowly making progress on TATs. Whatever this new "beta" process they're testing that sometimes results in fast-turnaround shipments out of order is... promising, even if it's not very transparent to the end users and frustrating to people who didn't get selected.

On the other hand, I do think they should suspend in-house signing events. I know they won't, because those are fundamentally an opportunity for CGC to roll around in money. But they're disruptive to the scheduling process; they demand that books be fast-tracked through pressing and grading at the expense of the rest of the process, because the signer's physical presence places a hard-stop deadline. And that's a problem right now. It's obvious there are growing pains in the process, both in terms of TAT and QA. Having a constant cycle of Very Special Submissions that require they drop everything else to attend to is... not helping.

On 10/18/2021 at 9:09 AM, Qalyar said:

Honestly, I don't think a submissions freeze is the right choice now; it may have been earlier. They are slowly making progress on TATs. Whatever this new "beta" process they're testing that sometimes results in fast-turnaround shipments out of order is... promising, even if it's not very transparent to the end users and frustrating to people who didn't get selected.

On the other hand, I do think they should suspend in-house signing events. I know they won't, because those are fundamentally an opportunity for CGC to roll around in money. But they're disruptive to the scheduling process; they demand that books be fast-tracked through pressing and grading at the expense of the rest of the process, because the signer's physical presence places a hard-stop deadline. And that's a problem right now. It's obvious there are growing pains in the process, both in terms of TAT and QA. Having a constant cycle of Very Special Submissions that require they drop everything else to attend to is... not helping.

In that vein, I was hoping that not doing conventions this year would help a bit.  They proved me wrong.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:16 AM, drotto said:

In that vein, I was hoping that not doing conventions this year would help a bit.  They proved me wrong.

Well, the flip side is that doing conventions would have likely been worse, because it takes staff out of the Florida facility for not only the convention itself but also the travel time, and provides an extra influx of submissions. Suspending convention appearances was the right choice; suspending in-house signings would be as well.

On 10/18/2021 at 5:11 AM, Point Five said:

I was thinking about Voldemort when I started reading this thread. I haven't followed them closely, but the above seem like side issues to me. What do you think is the real reason they never took off? There was a lot of buzz when they started and I'm honestly surprised they are not more of a market presence today.

The fact that the founder there was at the helm at CGC when the whole Ewert thing went down gives zero confidence that they ‘suddenly got religion’ and can now detect restoration.

The guy either aided and abetted Ewert or can’t detect restoration. Neither possibility is a winning look for the new company

On 10/18/2021 at 6:11 AM, Point Five said:

That's because those aren't side issues at all. The core of their SS program for example, means that there is absolutely no integrity. Someone could just submit signed books with no actual verification. That is a huge red flag

When they first started rolling, they were overgrading to get customers.

Their post it note boards have no history. There is no way to check what's been said. Their moderation removes all and any negative comments about the company. They've been saying they will change the format, but adamantly have refused to.

Legit questions about TATs are scrubbed there.

From the sounds of it, it's getting worse and not better

What would be nice is some sort of feedback or updates given to customers on a regular basis.

I would say that will not happen because the vast majority of CGC customers do not inhabit these forums, but it would be nice nontheless, because a lot of submitters DO hang out here.

Just some sort of basic acknowledgement and future prognosis would be nice.

I have never been a heavy submitter, but I made a decision a good while ago not to submit anymore. That's my choice. Everyone has one.

As regards the opposition. Maybe they haven't took off as expected, but personally I have not seen any bad grading issues. As regards their SS program, I cannot comment on that.

I have not seen any sharp drop in price for their labels. The savvy collector will always buy the book, not the label, and trust me, sought after PCH and Schomburg etc in the GA does not go for peanuts just because it's not in a CGC slab.

I would even take a chance on a PGX book if it was the right book. 

2c 

On 10/17/2021 at 11:06 PM, Thisisrequired said:

Must not have a car either. Is it possible to get gas without paying first? Must be nice. Go to a concert or baseball game or movie and pay after the event. 

In Canada we fill up first then go into store to pay

On 10/18/2021 at 3:13 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 10/18/2021 at 4:11 AM, KCOComics said:

I would like to see them stop the signature events until the bottleneck is cleared up.

Amen

Such an obvious course of action, given how it looks, that it almost beggars belief that someone has to even make the suggestion in the first place. 

On 10/17/2021 at 10:21 PM, Thisisrequired said:

I love the other companies slabs but only because they used to sell for so much less. Now just less so not as enticing. But 90 some and high 90s percent of people slab to resell whether now or down the road and if you aren't using cgc you are losing money. I dunno who uses the other companies. Cgc could kill my dog and sleep with my wife and I wouldn't go to the other guys. Who wants to sell books for less money? The main other isn't even much cheaper. They or a new company could take a ton of business if they were willing to slash prices. I have a plan to destroy cgc. I told some friends of mine. I don't think they are up for it though. I am not interested. But if someone who is known and respected and has the funding and wants to be the biggest comic slab company in the world hit me up. Otherwise cgc it is which I am fine with. 

How would you feel if CGC slept with your dog and killed your wife? :roflmao:

On 10/17/2021 at 10:29 PM, JollyComics said:

Like USPS, slow, erroneous, thief, mismanagement and many incidents but they still raise the price. No sense! 

I find it hard to believe that I am defending the USPS, but I have been selling books since May, 2020. Everyone of my packages made it to its intended destination, albeit not always on schedule.

The thing that frustrates me with the carping about the USPS is how the USPS is losing money. Does anyone ever complain that the US military doesn't make a profit? What about FIFA, or numerous other government entities? The USPS is providing a vital service to the people of the US, but perhaps not at the level of efficiency as in the past.

Just think of how many packages are getting shipped since the advent of Amazon and Ebay. Yes, I know that Amazon is now doing a lot of their own deliveries, but that is a relatively recent development.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 10/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, Math Teacher said:

I find it hard to believe that I am defending the USPS, but I have been selling books since May, 2020. Everyone of my packages made it to its intended destination, albeit not always on schedule.

The thing that frustrates me with the carping of the USPS is how the USPS is losing money. Does anyone ever complain that the US military doesn't make a profit? What about FIFA, or numerous other government entities? The USPS is providing a vital service to the people of the US, but perhaps not at the level of efficiency as in the past.

Just think of how many packages are getting shipped since the advent of Amazon and Ebay. Yes, I know that Amazon is now doing a lot of their own deliveries, but that is a relatively recent development.

what are your thoughts on the new price hikes?

it's doable, perhaps even necessary, but :cry: will take some getting used to :) 

On 10/17/2021 at 10:48 PM, drotto said:

I do not know if this is even appropriate to post, or even allowed.  I think CGC needs to follow PSA's lead from a few months  ago an freeze submissions.  I have a had good sized stack of books ready to be sent in,  that I intend to sell, but it make no sense given the lead times right now. Do others agree?  Would it even help?

Freezing comics damages them.O.o

On 10/18/2021 at 10:18 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

what are your thoughts on the new price hikes?

it's doable, perhaps even necessary, but :cry: will take some getting used to :) 

I don't think any of us likes price hikes for any business. However, my postage bills are not increasing at the same rate as buying my groceries or paying for gas.

Don't you think these price hikes are related to the continuing complaints about the USPS losing money?