• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This may be an unpopular opinion. CGC needs a submission freeze.
4 4

202 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, Math Teacher said:

I find it hard to believe that I am defending the USPS, but I have been selling books since May, 2020. Everyone of my packages made it to its intended destination, albeit not always on schedule.

The thing that frustrates me with the carping of the USPS is how the USPS is losing money. Does anyone ever complain that the US military doesn't make a profit? What about FIFA, or numerous other government entities? The USPS is providing a vital service to the people of the US, but perhaps not at the level of efficiency as in the past.

Just think of how many packages are getting shipped since the advent of Amazon and Ebay. Yes, I know that Amazon is now doing a lot of their own deliveries, but that is a relatively recent development.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzejewski/2021/02/20/why-the-us-post-office-is-in-trouble--678539-employees-and-a-92-billion-loss-in-2020/?sh=193cb4c9314e

The law passed to protect the retirement funds for USPS workers that hurt USPS since 2006 - https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/15/afl-cio/widespread-facebook-post-blames-2006-law-us-postal/

Some postal workers stole my checks, credit cards and even comic books (I fought hard and worked with US Post Inspectors for 3 years).  Chicago is the worst in US for mail/package thief - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mail-theft-surging-u-s-postal-service-inspectors-don-t-n1241179

On 10/18/2021 at 10:29 AM, Math Teacher said:

I don't think any of us likes price hikes for any business. However, my postage bills are not increasing at the same rate as buying my groceries or paying for gas.

Don't you think these price hikes are related to the continuing complaints about the USPS losing money?

There is not a problem with that, my point was more to do you think the hike was enough? Further adjustment coming or needed?

Guess we'll find out :foryou: 

On 10/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, Math Teacher said:

I find it hard to believe that I am defending the USPS, but I have been selling books since May, 2020. Everyone of my packages made it to its intended destination, albeit not always on schedule.

The thing that frustrates me with the carping about the USPS is how the USPS is losing money. Does anyone ever complain that the US military doesn't make a profit? What about FIFA, or numerous other government entities? The USPS is providing a vital service to the people of the US, but perhaps not at the level of efficiency as in the past.

Just think of how many packages are getting shipped since the advent of Amazon and Ebay. Yes, I know that Amazon is now doing a lot of their own deliveries, but that is a relatively recent development.

One more thing. Amazon has heaviest security system. USPS is too loose to let them stealing them. Not enough to enforce them.

Amazon is stingiest with the technology. The computer/algorithm has fired many drivers for being late, time delays or undeliverable - even misplaced packages.

I have seen USPS mail carriers spend too much time on the phones or food in the trucks - I waited for the mail carrier for 20 minutes. Sometimes, I had to walk toward them.  I reported them to US Postmasters. Few carriers were immediately replaced. Too much efforts to take care of the old problems. Why not the computers will take care of them.

Remember USPS is unionized so mine is too (UPS) - The unions control the companies.  Amazon is not unionized and controls the employees.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:41 AM, JollyComics said:

One more thing. Amazon has heaviest security system. USPS is too loose to let them stealing them. Not enough to enforce them.

Amazon is stingiest with the technology. The computer/algorithm has fired many drivers for being late, time delays or undeliverable - even misplaced packages.

I have seen USPS mail carriers spend too much time on the phones or food in the trucks - I waited for the mail carrier for 20 minutes. Sometimes, I had to walk toward them.  I reported them to US Postmasters. Few carriers were immediately replaced. Too much efforts to take care of the old problems. Why not the computers will take care of them.

Remember USPS is unionized so mine is too (UPS) - The unions control the companies.  Amazon is not unionized and controls the employees.

I believe that Amazon Delivery trucks are individual companies that deliver for Amazon.  So if the company is bad that company is not used.  

When you have skin in the game you should care a lot more then being hired/paid by the hour.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:32 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

There is not a problem with that, my point was more to do you think the hike was enough? Further adjustment coming or needed?

Guess we'll find out :foryou: 

My guess is if the USPS raised rates so they could break even, the sticker shock would cause people to send less mail, leading to a continuing downward spiral for the USPS. It would be similar to a parent and child walking into a comic book store, and hearing the parent say, "$4.99 for a comic book?!? They cost $0.25 when I was growing up."

An idea that has been floated around is delivering mail every other day. I would have no problems with that. Most businesses would not like this, but a compromise could be commercial every day, and residential every other day.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:49 AM, Math Teacher said:

My guess is if the USPS raised rates so they could break even, the sticker shock would cause people to send less mail, leading to a continuing downward spiral for the USPS. It would be similar to a parent and child walking into a comic book store, and hearing the parent say, "$4.99 for a comic book?!? They cost $0.25 when I was growing up."

An idea that has been floated around is delivering mail every other day. I would have no problems with that. Most businesses would not like this, but a compromise could be commercial every day, and residential every other day.

Yes that Makes sense :) 

Also with the recent price hike with cgc and the ongoing flood of submissions is :eek: eek! With USPS there are other viable options for mail at least!

Who is to say FedEx and UPS won't follow suit. I'm  not sure what that kind of market war would  be called....but it is interesting. I'm not too worried really 

On 10/17/2021 at 11:52 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Instead of being outraged about TAT I would be about QC

Damaged books, wrong labels, books upside down...  totally unacceptable. 

I wonder how some of those mistakes mange to make it out the door. 

Edited by Terry JSA

Some twenty odd years ago I stumbled on a CGC listing on ebay.

I didn't know what it was.

I contacted a dealer friend of mine to ask about it.

The conversation went like this:

Me: So what's this CGC thing about?

DF: It's a comic book that has been graded and put in a plastic case.

Me: So how do you read it?

DF: You don't

Me: What?

DF: Yep

Me: So what's the benefit of that?

DF: The book is graded by professionals so you know the grade is right, and that there are no hidden issues such as resto etc.

Me: Oh.

So I mulled it over for a few months. It seemed that the market was actually valuing these graded books higher than a raw copy, so all my years of collecting had reduced what I know to the poor man's game.

Now, I'm not knocking it. I see the value of it. However in those early days CGC graded with love and care for the collector IMO, trying to build up trust and confidence in their product.

Fast forward two decades plus, and we are now seeing a monster. A multi-million dollar business that is all about making money.

Is that a surprise? Hell no, because CGC was created as a business, not an altruistic enterprise/charity for those that love the hobby, but that said, a vital factor has been lost, the care and the love. IMO that is not there anymore. Despite the problems processing high volume the QC has left the building.

Will it ever return?

Who the hell knows.  :sorry:  

On 10/18/2021 at 3:34 PM, © G G ® ™ said:

about what?

I had mentioned it previously in a few threads whenever people discussed problems and issues regarding CGC's encapsulation and the long turnaround times. 

That due to turnaround times, and the issues occurring in the encapsulation room that I was no longer confident in sending in books to CGC.  For every problem that we see pop up online I am sure there are issues that go unnoticed or are not widely recognized nor reported. 

I ate the $150 credit by not sending books in last year and have chosen not to renew unless I see improvement in the product / service that I am supposedly paying for. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 10/18/2021 at 8:45 PM, Buzzetta said:

I had mentioned it previously in a few threads whenever people discussed problems and issues regarding CGC's encapsulation and the long turnaround times. 

That due to turnaround times, and the issues occurring in the encapsulation room that I was no longer confident in sending in books to CGC.  For every problem that we see pop up online I am sure there are issues that go unnoticed or are not widely recognized nor reported. 

I ate the $150 credit by not sending books in last year and have chosen not to renew unless I see improvement in the product / service that I am supposedly paying for. 

Got it. Thanks for explaining. Can't disagree.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:06 AM, Math Teacher said:

How would you feel if CGC slept with your dog and killed your wife? :roflmao:

I would be angry. Go john wick on them. But once the replacements who had nothing to do with it get back and running I will have my submission ready to go.

On 10/18/2021 at 12:49 PM, Math Teacher said:

"$4.99 for a comic book?!? They cost $0.25 when I was growing up."

Whoa! Were you standing behind me the last time I entered a comic shop?

On 10/18/2021 at 10:15 AM, Ares said:

In Canada we fill up first then go into store to pay

It used to be that way here. Enjoy it while it lasts. I wonder if say Toronto has this same policy? If so impressive.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:23 PM, kav said:

If a company has too much business, raise the price.

...or open up more locations. A Canadian Division...I like the sound of that. Even better, put it right here in the middle...Winnipeg, Manitoba. :bigsmile:

On 10/18/2021 at 1:05 PM, ninanina said:

...or open up more locations. A Canadian Division...I like the sound of that. Even better, put it right here in the middle...Winnipeg, Manitoba. :bigsmile:

can you give them an address of where you'd like em to open?

On 10/18/2021 at 1:15 PM, ninanina said:

If CGC is interested, they can contact me and I can scout out a good location for them. 

walking distance to CGC for quick drop offs and return visits "Are my books done yet?" would be great.