• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This may be an unpopular opinion. CGC needs a submission freeze.
4 4

202 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2021 at 9:05 PM, ninanina said:

...or open up more locations. A Canadian Division...I like the sound of that. Even better, put it right here in the middle...Winnipeg, Manitoba. :bigsmile:

On 10/18/2021 at 9:34 PM, NoMan said:

I love and appreciate CGC so much (they pay for this site you know) that I just send them money and don’t send in comics and just bypass the whole slabbing thing. 

I'm pleased you know your place.

On 10/18/2021 at 2:45 PM, Buzzetta said:

I had mentioned it previously in a few threads whenever people discussed problems and issues regarding CGC's encapsulation and the long turnaround times. 

That due to turnaround times, and the issues occurring in the encapsulation room that I was no longer confident in sending in books to CGC.  For every problem that we see pop up online I am sure there are issues that go unnoticed or are not widely recognized nor reported. 

I ate the $150 credit by not sending books in last year and have chosen not to renew unless I see improvement in the product / service that I am supposedly paying for. 

What problems in the encapsulation room? Sorry I just got out of rehab and you couldn’t have phones/computers in there

On 10/18/2021 at 7:46 AM, NP_Gresham said:

There is an ongoing thread here looking for graders

The problem may lie in the location?

If it is like nursing, the state is known for wage suppression and lousy working conditions. During these ‘COVID’ times hospitals everywhere complain about a nursing shortage. Well there is no shortage here, in fact there is a long wait list to get in. Something about highest wages and guaranteed ratios that brings the workers

Funny how that works. 
Has anyone looked at the job openings? Lots of great graders in the forums here, would anyone want to work for CGC for what they pay?

I don't know what they pay. But anyone that knows about grading and restoration can easily make six figures. I imagine they get a lot of people they have to teach. 

On 10/18/2021 at 8:11 AM, Point Five said:

I was thinking about Voldemort when I started reading this thread. I haven't followed them closely, but the above seem like side issues to me. What do you think is the real reason they never took off? There was a lot of buzz when they started and I'm honestly surprised they are not more of a market presence today.

People are creatures of comfort. They need incentive to leave that comfort. Did they offer a superior slab? Way cheaper pricing? Did people see their slabbed books selling for record prices? Did they wine and dine the big players to steal them away from cgc? Grading notes were nice. Signature verification is the only reason some people even send them books. Not enough. Only thing that matters is who is going to make me the most money. They never showcased that their slabs will sell for more money.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:39 PM, NoMan said:

What problems in the encapsulation room? Sorry I just got out of rehab and you couldn’t have phones/computers in there

Buzz can answer you but waves(fixed) rainbow(pretty much fixed) scuffs (still ongoing) I seen corners damaged. Probably more and look forward to hearing about it.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:48 PM, drotto said:

I do not know if this is even appropriate to post, or even allowed.  I think CGC needs to follow PSA's lead from a few months  ago an freeze submissions.  I have a had good sized stack of books ready to be sent in,  that I intend to sell, but it make no sense given the lead times right now. Do others agree?  Would it even help?

Pretty $ure they would di$agree.

Thankfully, there is another place to send them.   So I did.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:01 PM, Thisisrequired said:

It used to be that way here. Enjoy it while it lasts. I wonder if say Toronto has this same policy? If so impressive.

Usually just the pumps furthest away from the cashier are pay first.  I almost always pay for my gas after pumping. 

On 10/17/2021 at 11:21 PM, Thisisrequired said:

Cgc could kill my dog and sleep with my wife and I wouldn't go to the other guys.

CGC loves you.  This sort of unconditional enabling is exactly why the QC and grading issues can be ignored by the company.  They know some people will throw money at them no matter what.

It's unfortunate that they will never feel need to improve.

On 10/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, Sigur Ros said:

CGC loves you.  This sort of unconditional enabling is exactly why the QC and grading issues can be ignored by the company.  They know some people will throw money at them no matter what.

It's unfortunate that they will never feel need to improve.

CGC loves money. They don't love me, just my money. They don't ignore the issues. They simply understand that most people won't notice or just accept them. The ones that do complain CGC will take care of them. Why do they need to improve? What are you going to do? Slab your books with another company who's slabs sell for hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands less? The other guys can have Chet outside barking slabbing for a penny and I wouldn't use them.

If I was running things at CGC I would hire more graders. Anybody no experience necessary. Pull a few good current graders and teach them to grade. I could teach someone to grade in a day. Supervise them for a week and they are ready to go. Get the back log cleaned up. Then I have a excess of graders. So I announce a price increase and deadline and let the books come flooding in. 

On 10/18/2021 at 4:39 PM, NoMan said:

On 10/18/2021 at 4:55 PM, Thisisrequired said:

Buzz can answer you but waves(fixed) rainbow(pretty much fixed) scuffs (still ongoing) I seen corners damaged. Probably more and look forward to hearing about it.

On 10/18/2021 at 5:39 PM, spideyfan68 said:

Let us not forget the facts:

Books received by CGC and graded 9.6 or better only to be encapsulated with an entire section of the cover folded over itself in the process.  So that tells me that it was fine when it left the graders hands as they assessed it at a 9.8 so no problem there.  Sometime between leaving the hands of the grader and being sealed the books were damaged.  I keep seeing book after book after book after book after book with damage like that. 

That a major problem and I have a box of books that I want to send down worth quite a bit that I would love to send down.  If they are backlogged and quality control is lacking for whatever the reason be it fatigue, rushing books through the process, then I have no interest in taking the risk with them for the time being until I see a decrease in these problems. 

On 10/18/2021 at 7:58 PM, Thisisrequired said:

If I was running things at CGC I would hire more graders. Anybody no experience necessary. Pull a few good current graders and teach them to grade. I could teach someone to grade in a day. Supervise them for a week and they are ready to go. Get the back log cleaned up. Then I have a excess of graders. So I announce a price increase and deadline and let the books come flooding in. 

I’m glad you’re not running CGC :insane:

On 10/19/2021 at 1:40 AM, paperheart said:
On 10/19/2021 at 1:16 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m glad you’re not running CGC :insane:

who's to say he isn't?

Edited by © G G ® ™

On 10/17/2021 at 9:11 PM, KCOComics said:

I don't think CGC should shut down, but I do think they have to address the bottle neck. Honestly, this has been going on for over a year and they've had sufficient time to improve TATs and the overall customer experience. 

I've got 14 books with them right now and I just try not to think about it. 

But from a business perspective, I don't see how shutting down makes sense.  Without fundamental changes to their operation, they wouldn't be eliminating the problems, only delaying them.   

Part of the problem (as I see it and I'm no expert) is, it's labor intensive work and difficult to streamline operations while maintaining rigorous grading standards. It's not like you can upgrade software and increase production ten fold. You need humans to carefully assess one book at a time. 

So the obvious answer is to hire more humans.  And while there needs to be training and qualifications, it does feel like cgc has had enough time to hire and sufficiently train people. I would have thought after a year of extraordinary demand, CGC could have meaningfully reduced TAT. 

I would like to see them stop the signature events until the bottleneck is cleared up.  

We're aware of the delays and have a pretty good idea how long it will take to get our books graded.  Freezing submissions wouldn't help what's sitting in the grading que and I don't see any purpose to it unless CGC is running out of storage.  CGC is clearly struggling with demand and more concerning to me, quality control.  From a business perspective CGC needs to address these issues or their reputation will deteriorate.  They may be first  but that doesn't guarantee they will always be the premiere grading company.

And I agree, drumming up new business through signature events, while there are so many books waiting to be graded is an insult to those who're waiting.