• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN #1 7.0 Blue THIRD highest graded copy coming to auction at CC
4 4

218 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2021 at 12:03 PM, Crowzilla said:

I don't see how this book sells for more than the 7.0 Tec 27, but I also don't see how it sells for less than $1.5 million, so that is probably a pretty good number to give as an over/under.

Do you really think the 7.0 (R) Tec 27 will beat the blue label Supe # 1 ?

My Tec is 7.5 with mod resto, and only cost $222 K three years ago...

On 10/19/2021 at 12:22 PM, quicksilver said:

Do you really think the 7.0 (R) Tec 27 will beat the blue label Supe # 1 ?

My Tec is 7.5 with mod resto, and only cost $222 K three years ago...

Detective Comics #27 (DC, 1939) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white pages.... | Lot #91044 | Heritage Auctions

Edited by rob_react
link broken

On 10/19/2021 at 11:56 AM, Timely said:

The ink “I” was scrubbed away. Looks like they were able to take a nice looking raw 4.5 and turn it into a graded 7.0. I have a feeling this book in hand may look a bit different than the computer images you see.

yikes

On 10/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, Timely said:

The ink “I” was scrubbed away. Looks like they were able to take a nice looking raw 4.5 and turn it into a graded 7.0. I have a feeling this book in hand may look a bit different than the computer images you see.

From the looks of that pic, there was a LOT of dry cleaning/pressing done to that book. 

On 10/19/2021 at 10:04 AM, october said:

From the looks of that pic, there was a LOT of dry cleaning/pressing done to that book. 

I wouldn’t have recognized it as the same book from the scans first posted. Of course no one would buy a book at this level off a scan either (I would hope). Million dollar books require a meet and greet…

On 10/19/2021 at 8:56 AM, Timely said:

I think because of the rarity of any Superman #1 above 5.0...it really does not matter what it was in the past, it is  2021 that counts and it is every bit a 7.0. Blue, and whether buy trickery or whatever which is considered not really restoration, pressing, cleaning etc gets it there so be it. That is state of the art 2021, in 1975 you took the books you bought "as is" and as is this book is at least a 5.0. So it got upped two grades, it is however one the rarest high graded copies of Superman #1 in existence, pressing and all.

So If my prediction of a sale over 1 million stands up and some say 1.5 or 2, this will reinforce every speculator and "grade bumper" out there.....that jump from 4.5 as you say or 5.0 as I say.....to 7.0 in this specific Book, Superman #1 which is  very rare above 5.0 or 4.5  Blue Label has the ability to the greatest price increase for just about  any GA book out there except Action 1/Det 27 and even then it is gonna be close.

So with those $$$$ and the publicty after this  sale...where do we as TCBC's  stand...do we all upgrade with heard and do we stand firm....gonna be very interesting, this sale could become a future game changer in the GA/SA comic book world.. the final sale price of this book will be historic ..what do you think?

Edited by Mmehdy

On 10/19/2021 at 11:41 AM, rob_react said:

When did the 7.5 sell? 2004? Something like that? Who was the seller? I can't remember for the life of me and I don't have records of it, as far as I can tell. 

The Church copy traded hands publicly in 1996.

DA's copy is in the vault. 

The last time anyone had a public opportunity to buy a copy of this book this nice was almost 20 years ago. It could be really surprising and once again screw up all my estimates!

the 7.5 was a long long time ago.  Best thats come to market since was a 6.0, right?  A high grade Superman 1 is a cornerstone (the scarcest too) of the DC Golden Age 4 of a kind medley:  Action 1, Superman 1, Tec 27 and Batman 1.  which are Overstreets (and for most of us) top 4 Golden Age comics.  Guide still lists All American 16 as #4, but Batman 1 has had a better year and should overtake it next year.  (for whatever its worth)

On 10/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, Mmehdy said:

I think because of the rarity of any Superman #1 above 5.0...it really does not matter what it was in the past, it is  2021 that counts and it is every bit a 7.0. Blue, and whether buy trickery or whatever which is considered not really restoration, pressing, cleaning etc gets it there so be it. That is state of the art 2021, in 1975 you took the books you bought "as is" and as is this book is at least a 5.0. So it got upped two grades, it is however one the rarest high graded copies of Superman #1 in existence, pressing and all.

So If my prediction of a sale over 1 million stands up and some say 1.5 or 2, this will reinforce every speculator and "grade bumper" out there.....that jump from 4.5 as you say or 5.0 as I say.....to 7.0 in this specific Book, Superman #1 which is  very rare above 5.0 or 4.5  Blue Label has the ability to the greatest price increase for just about  any GA book out there except Action 1/Det 27 and even then it is gonna be close.

So with those $$$$ and the publicty after this  sale...where do we as TCBC's  stand...do we all upgrade with heard and do we stand firm....gonna be very interesting, this sale could become a future game changer in the GA/SA comic book world.. the final sale price of this book will be historic ..what do you think?

how many TCBC holdouts do you think are left?  all of you will do the thing when you sell. Why keep harping on it as the evil it was called 2 decades ago?  Or am I misreading your post? or you are finally capitulating to reality?  Because any TCBC with the goods will never slab without proper due diligence.  But I suppose with guidance (rather MISguidance) from the wrong people, it could still happen. You know, like where Chuck pays cover price without alerting the Church family what they have.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, Aman619 said:

how many TCBC holdouts do you think are left?  all of you will do the thing when you sell. Why keep harping on it as the evil it was called 2 decades ago?  Or am I misreading your post? or you are finally capitulating to reality?  Because any TCBC with the goods will never slab without proper due diligence.  But I suppose with guidance (rather MISguidance) from the wrong people, it could still happen. You know, like where Chuck pays cover price without alerting the Church family what they have.

" how many TCBC holdouts do you think are left?"  answer:..since a lot of those old time collectors seem to not be so vocal on like our boards, I would say a few...but what  they have is significant in terms of a GA/SA collection in 2021...some of them impossible to amass today unless you have "impossible collection" money available. Their collections will make GA/SA comic book waves.

"All of you will do the "thing" when you sell" I am assuming you mean pancake, clean  and flip and CGC it.

"why keep harping on it as the evil it was called 2 decades ago" and " are you capitulating to realty". I would correct that to say 4/5 decades to go. Because at the time, early on the  restorers sold their services forgetting to mention that at some point their restoration would be recognizable, and actually decrease value of  the  GA comic book substantially . The restoration was sold that you could not tell  the difference between any book fixed up and not and that it would help preserve the book in the best possible condition in the long run. Hence a lot GA collectors early on, who were not flipping but wanting to PROTECT their  GA book for generations to come. In other words, as it played out most of the early restoration was for long term collectors wanting to preserve their GA treasures, yes some dealers used them to help turn a profit for a quick flip did not disclose the restoration. It just was not right at the time it was sold and how it was sold and did not turn out right after CGC was formed and we as GA collectors in 2021 still feel the effects of those early years. Today, this undisclosed permissible restoration or whatever you call it has turned into a game of stacking new permissible fix after new permissible fix to get the highest possible grade number . They do not care about the GA book itself and what is done it or what it has to go thru in order to get that higher number and the brass ring on the merry-go-round. It is turning GA comic book collecting  into a  numbers game, not even caring about the GA book. This is madness period. At some point hopefully, our younger collectors will overcome this "numbers game" and go back to real comic book collecting. I care, I hope, I pray we return to collector sanity.

Edited by Mmehdy

Restoration, full blown Restoration of comics got a boost with Sotheby’s elevating our basement level hobby into mainstream of Collecting.  Susan was the it girl turning VGs into HG copies. And she didn’t hav3 to do much selling!  It was thought that now that comics have “arrived” via Sotheby’s, time to treat comics same as the bigboy stuff… restoring is accepted in posters, cars, furniture, artwork, sculpture etc.

Turned out comics changed their minds, especially when CGC identified these copies, and used the PLOD case too.  So are you saying as TCBC Prime, you went along with this and now have beautiful restored books?  Lots of other TCBCs did the same.  It mad3 sense at the time. 

On 10/19/2021 at 5:05 PM, Mmehdy said:

" how many TCBC holdouts do you think are left?"  answer:..since a lot of those old time collectors seem to not be so vocal on like our boards, I would say a few...but what  they have is significant in terms of a GA/SA collection in 2021...some of them impossible to amass today unless you have "impossible collection" money available. Their collections will make GA/SA comic book waves.

"All of you will do the "thing" when you sell" I am assuming you mean pancake, clean  and flip and CGC it.

"why keep harping on it as the evil it was called 2 decades ago" and " are you capitulating to realty". I would correct that to say 4/5 decades to go. Because at the time, early on the  restorers sold their services forgetting to mention that at some point their restoration would be recognizable, and actually decrease value of  the  GA comic book substantially . The restoration was sold that you could not tell  the difference between any book fixed up and not and that it would help preserve the book in the best possible condition in the long run. Hence a lot GA collectors early on, who were not flipping but wanting to PROTECT their  GA book for generations to come. In other words, as it played out most of the early restoration was for long term collectors wanting to preserve their GA treasures, yes some dealers used them to help turn a profit for a quick flip did not disclose the restoration. It just was not right at the time it was sold and how it was sold and did not turn out right after CGC was formed and we as GA collectors in 2021 still feel the effects of those early years. Today, this undisclosed permissible restoration or whatever you call it has turned into a game of stacking new permissible fix after new permissible fix to get the highest possible grade number . They do not care about the GA book itself and what is done it or what it has to go thru in order to get that higher number and the brass ring on the merry-go-round. It is turning GA comic book collecting  into a  numbers game, not even caring about the GA book. This is madness period. At some point hopefully, our younger collectors will overcome this "numbers game" and go back to real comic book collecting. I care, I hope, I pray we return to collector sanity.

The problem with wanting comics to be recognized as a valid medium by the masses is they became recognized as a valid medium by the masses. Inside the masses were people who saw the dollar signs and most likely were sharks anyway. They didn't care about the medium. Just profit to be made from naive collectors. it's what happens when the worlds best kept secret and economy is suddenly revealed. Sometimes - MOST times - a niche hobby is better kept hidden for real collectors and fans to enjoy without letting in all the demons.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:44 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

The problem with wanting comics to be recognized as a valid medium by the masses is they became recognized as a valid medium by the masses. Inside the masses were people who saw the dollar signs and most likely were sharks anyway. They didn't care about the medium. Just profit to be made from naive collectors. it's what happens when the worlds best kept secret and economy is suddenly revealed. Sometimes - MOST times - a niche hobby is better kept hidden for real collectors and fans to enjoy without letting in all the demons.

Careful. We call that NIMBY-ism out here on the left coast…:nyah: