• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN #1 7.0 Blue THIRD highest graded copy coming to auction at CC
4 4

218 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2021 at 6:03 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Seeing this, it just struck me, there's also BangZoom's Superman 1, which IIRC was never pictured full frontal but he said he paid $55 for, which was the most he ever paid for a comic. There was distant picture in the showcase, which looked nice, and I believe he showed a partial pic of the back cover, which was much cleaner and whiter looking than the back of this 7.0. He did post a picture of his #2, which was amazing, and if the #1 is as nice as the #2, it should probably be on your list if it isn't, even though he isn't selling.  I don't know if you're tracking BangZoom's books on your list for the lack of certainty about the grades.

Yeah, I should add some of them because any Superman #1 (etc.), that exists is on the list, but those books are all really vague. All the photos are like... through a paper towel roll at the end of a hallway. 

On 12/2/2021 at 6:40 PM, Surfing Alien said:

He scanned the Superman #2, the pic was still up there and it was pretty sharp

Superman2GA.webp.040cc01b70fa07ec2fbcc960d4d8cf07.webp

That hardly even looks real...stunning.  I don't recall the full story of how he got them, is there any reason to believe any of his books would have had resto? 

On 12/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, szav said:

That hardly even looks real...stunning.  I don't recall the full story of how he got them, is there any reason to believe any of his books would have had resto? 

If I remember correctly, wasn't there something about garbage cans and an alley.  lol  :takeit:

Needless to say, I've walked down enough alleys in my city and never ever once found anything of value worth taking back home with me. :pullhair:  :censored:

On 12/2/2021 at 9:44 PM, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't there something about garbage cans and an alley.

I seem to remember that being part of the story, but I only read a bit of it here... haven't heard a first hand telling of whether that was reasonably true or not.  If it is and he's held on to the books all these years with no intent to sell ever, I don't think he'd have had any reasons to have resto work done on any of them.  Sure hope not anyway.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:27 PM, szav said:
On 12/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't there something about garbage cans and an alley.

I seem to remember that being part of the story, but I only read a bit of it here... haven't heard a first hand telling of whether that was reasonably true or not.  If it is and he's held on to the books all these years with no intent to sell ever, I don't think he'd have had any reasons to have resto work done on any of them.  Sure hope not anyway.

Well, if the part about garbage cans in an alley are indeed true, then the books probably went through a good scrubbing and cleaning job.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/3/2021 at 5:14 AM, Surfing Alien said:

For anyone who was here to watch him unfold his collection, I don't think there's any reason to believe he had resto done to anything. Although anything is possible, his books simply didn't need it and he seems like a type who truly appreciated books how they arrived in their natural state. He accumulated OO accumulations in the early 1960's and stopped in the 70's. I mean a resto freak wouldn't store their books in glad bags, unboarded, in stacks in a dark room for 40 years would they? His 900 page long thread was filled with graciousness and a love of art & history unseen before or since. Hope he's doing ok. Always worth another look at some of his unveiling pics:

ComicsTable1.webp.6abc3ab33c39da6afddd34ff4c292f8c.webp

ComicsCabinetGA.webp.fa91117b4ff4fed442c5674e17baed9f.webp

BZWeirdTalesGA.webp.a46189196d312f3c5260e0cb1c73ef09.webp

I think I read on somewhere here that @BangZoomhad suffered a stroke, so I don’t think he’s on the boards anymore. It’s a shame. Hey BZ, if you’re still out there, your legend lives on!

On 12/2/2021 at 8:44 PM, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't there something about garbage cans and an alley.  lol  :takeit:

Needless to say, I've walked down enough alleys in my city and never ever once found anything of value worth taking back home with me. :pullhair:  :censored:

He mentioned that he bought a large amount of them from a guy that found them tied in bundles next to the trash on a street curb. He also paid the guy pretty crazy money (at the time) for them.

He was very active buying from newspaper ads and putting up notices on bulletin boards.

Me and my brother did the same thing as kids but never got anything like this.

I did once find about a dozen early ‘50’s DCs on top of a trash can in an alley. 

On 12/3/2021 at 5:14 AM, Surfing Alien said:

For anyone who was here to watch him unfold his collection, I don't think there's any reason to believe he had resto done to anything. Although anything is possible, his books simply didn't need it and he seems like a type who truly appreciated books how they arrived in their natural state. He accumulated OO accumulations in the early 1960's and stopped in the 70's. I mean a resto freak wouldn't store their books in glad bags, unboarded, in stacks in a dark room for 40 years would they? His 900 page long thread was filled with graciousness and a love of art & history unseen before or since. Hope he's doing ok. Always worth another look at some of his unveiling pics:

" the stuff dreams are made of "  Sam S

On 12/3/2021 at 8:55 AM, G.A.tor said:

I'm guessing if he wanted folks to know, he would have publicly posted that info here...I don't think it's some secret or something, but it's his place to post, not ours

:whatthe: Is his real name Clark Kent :manhero: Not that I really care just wanted to see his face book page for cool books. No hm was not hard to find but like the rest of the boards people say did you see that ebay book its going cheap, but they don't leave a Link and you spend a lot of time looking for it. :ohnoez:

On 12/3/2021 at 8:14 AM, Surfing Alien said:

This is the type of collection I would love to have one day. Just full of wonderful keys and grails.