• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN #1 7.0 Blue THIRD highest graded copy coming to auction at CC
4 4

218 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2021 at 11:26 AM, rob_react said:

I woudn't happen now, since pressing is part of the process, but the Mastronet copy of Detective #27 is the exact book to play the thought experiment out with. I've looked at that book in the catalog and blown up scans  and it appears nicer than the stated grade and the grader's notes indicate non-breaking "finger bends" from handling the book which are pressable as all get-out. Is a 15-20% premium possible in that case? My gut says, yeah, but... that's a lot money gamble on the chance of doubling or tripling your money. And even then you'd have to have two people looking beyond the book living in their safe to push it up that much. 

I agree.  If someone can inspect the book to see if there are pressable defect I would think even higher than the 15-20%

On 10/25/2021 at 4:33 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

@Gotham Kidsomehow hunts down the pre-robin tec dupes and keeps the census close to accurate, at least on this narrow range of books. I don’t think the census would be as accurate without his intervention 

CGC will not correct the census anymore (unless label handed in) even if irrefutable evidence is presented that multiple labels for the same book are active.

I have stopped presenting cases.

Dumb.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 10/25/2021 at 9:01 AM, chrisco37 said:
On 10/25/2021 at 8:48 AM, N e r V said:

So if all things being mostly equal with 2 books but an unpressed 8.0 could theoretically make it to 8.5, 9.0 or even 9.2 what’s that percentage look like at auction? In other words in your opinion what’s a buyer likely to pony up to gamble on a possible upgrade status? 10%? 20%? ???

You have to be 100% sure the book would upgrade to risk it.  The cost to regrade one of those behemoth books is now in the 5-figures. 

Doesn't CGC have something like a pre-screen service for a minimum condition grade level which you can specify (in this particular case, you would specify a minimum grade of CGC 8.5) which would then substantially reduce your risk here?  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

I guess you could do that, but to prescreen it, you’ll have to deslab it.  
You also have to have a minimum number of books (25?) for prescreen.  
I guess you send in a bunch of beaters with it.  If it upgrades great, you’re Golden.  If not, you haven’t shelled out a bunch of money in slabbing costs, but you don’t have graded Supes 1 anymore.

On 10/27/2021 at 2:05 AM, lou_fine said:

Doesn't CGC have something like a pre-screen service for a minimum condition grade level which you can specify (in this particular case, you would specify a minimum grade of CGC 8.5) which would then substantially reduce your risk here?  hm  (shrug)

On 10/27/2021 at 6:07 AM, chrisco37 said:

I guess you could do that, but to prescreen it, you’ll have to deslab it.  
You also have to have a minimum number of books (25?) for prescreen.  
I guess you send in a bunch of beaters with it.  If it upgrades great, you’re Golden.  If not, you haven’t shelled out a bunch of money in slabbing costs, but you don’t have graded Supes 1 anymore.

CCS will screen individual books.

Screening
(Not available for Modern tier)

(Not available for Modern Tier.) CCS evaluates collectible for Pressing candidacy; if suitable, collectible proceeds to Pressing.

Unlimited

1% of Fair Market Value ($15 min)

Tier + 30 days

On 10/27/2021 at 6:37 AM, rob_react said:

CCS will screen individual books.

Screening
(Not available for Modern tier)

(Not available for Modern Tier.) CCS evaluates collectible for Pressing candidacy; if suitable, collectible proceeds to Pressing.

Unlimited

1% of Fair Market Value ($15 min)

Tier + 30 days

amazing, you have only 1% to lose with a great potential for a significant value upswing....

On 10/18/2021 at 7:33 PM, batman_fan said:

I am going to take the over.

People are underestimating how much inflation has occurred in the past 18 months. I'm going to predict that it will reach $1.5 million easily because $1.5 million in December 2021 dollars is probably less that $1 million in December 2019 dollars. I think it'll be a while before we can gauge inflation with some perspective.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 10/19/2021 at 10:53 PM, N e r V said:

FYI, I’m burying all my keys in the jungle and providing a public map to the boards here (they’ll be buried under a big W).

Lets see how many of you can survive the journey thru cannibals, leeches, crocs, shark infested waters, quick sand, head hunters, lions, tigers and bears…

I might even throw in a few special traps just to make it interesting…lol

Lets see how YOU can survive the journey thru cannibals, leeches, crocs, shark infested waters, quick sand, head hunters, lions, tigers and bears to bury the things in the first place. LOL!

I might suggest burying them in frozen tundra. Better chance of preserving the funny books. The deserts preserve. The jungles digest.

On 11/8/2021 at 2:26 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

People are underestimating how much inflation has occurred in the past 18 months. I'm going to predict that it will reach $1.5 million easily because $1.5 million in December 2021 dollars is probably less that $1 million in December 2019 dollars. I think it'll be a while before we can gauge inflation with some perspective.

>50% inflation in 2 years?? Yeah, nah.

On 11/9/2021 at 10:03 PM, AJD said:

My pay has increased 40% since COVID started. That's with no promotion of any kind—that's how much my employer has raised pay in order to retain people. House prices around here are up at least 40% since COVID started, too.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:08 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

My pay has increased 40% since COVID started. That's with no promotion of any kind—that's how much my employer has raised pay in order to retain people. House prices around here are up at least 40% since COVID started, too.

Sure, there are many places you can see steep rises (like comic book prices), and the annualised CPI increase in the US is over 5%, which was unthinkable pre-covid. But it remains to be seen how much of that is supply-chain disruption driven and how much is structural. And it's still a long way short of 25%/yr.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:03 PM, AJD said:

On 11/9/2021 at 9:08 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

CPI is almost certainly underestimating inflation, but it's definitely no where near 50% in 2 years.  You can't cherry pick wages in one industry, or housing prices in some markets and call that inflation.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:58 PM, Ltpink2002 said:

Listed with a stock picture 

075BDFCA-A923-47D3-B1E0-ED76F077A865.jpeg

any idea/ guesses about what price this will bring?.......record price for the title? One  of my favorite GA origin stories....

Edited by Mmehdy