• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can pressing help wavy water damage?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I have a great book Marvel Spotlight 28 and it could be a 5 - 6 but for the damage on the back.  Being new and having never submitted anything to CGC I was just wondering would pressing help this guy:

MarvelSpotlight.28.jpg

MarvelSpotlight.28.waves.jpg

MarvelSpotlight.28.back.jpg

Wow.  Folks around here sure are Debbie Downers. 

Well, as I see it looking at the book first hand and feeling more comfortable by the day in my ability to understand grading ranges, and assuming pressing and cleaning works to remove the waves and the dirt from the back then this is likely a 5.0 which at the moment is worth $200 so let's see $22+$15 for cleaning, pressing and grading plus misc costs of another $10 or so brings me to an investment of $47 to get back $200.  Even if it comes out as a 4.0 it's still got a 100% return on investment at a minimum and that's not considering the fact that there's a CGC 3.5 listed on Ebay for $300 . . . so I'm thinking it's worth $50 bucks to try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255056608563?epid=1800973142&hash=item3b628efd33:g:2S4AAOSwJUFg8krX

Thanks for the advice.  Pretty sure I will ignore it, and work to improve and preserve this "Key Issue".

Edited by Joe Peck

On 10/19/2021 at 6:21 PM, Joe Peck said:

Well, as I see it looking at the book first hand and feeling more comfortable by the day in my ability to understand grading ranges, and assuming pressing and cleaning works to remove the waves and the dirt from the back then this is likely a 5.0 which at the moment is worth $200 so let's see $22+$15 for cleaning, pressing and grading plus misc costs of another $10 or so brings me to an investment of $47 to get back $200.  Even if it comes out as a 4.0 it's still got a 100% return on investment at a minimum and that's not considering the fact that there's a CGC 3.5 listed on Ebay for $300 . . . so I'm thinking it's worth $50 bucks to try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255056608563?epid=1800973142&hash=item3b628efd33:g:2S4AAOSwJUFg8krX

Thanks for the advice.  Pretty sure I will ignore it, and work to improve and preserve this "Key Issue".

Not arguing whether or not this is "worth" cleaning up and/or slabbing, but please don't forget to account for shipping costs when evaluating books on purely financial grounds.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:26 PM, Qalyar said:

Not arguing whether or not this is "worth" cleaning up and/or slabbing, but please don't forget to account for shipping costs when evaluating books on purely financial grounds.

And auction fees, turnaround time traveling time, expense... there goes your hundred bucks.

On 10/19/2021 at 4:21 PM, Joe Peck said:

Wow! I guess you shouldn't have asked for people's opinions if you already knew the answers, and were going to proceed to call people names and educate them after you asked for their opinions. @Randall Dowlingwas giving you his honest opinion and trying to demonstrate what he would do with the book if it was his. Very kind of him to take the time in my eyes... I don't normally do this, but being that you're so kind to others, let me offer you my opinion. Moon Knight 1 is so far from being a KEY issue in the realm of ACTUAL keys that if it hitchhiked towards being a key, in a rocket with 8 billion horsepower, it might still never get there. Who knows, though? Maybe you can sell it on Instagram for a profit large enough to buy a Whopper when you get it back in 2023 from pressing, cleaning and grading... if our economy still exists? (shrug)

On 10/19/2021 at 8:54 PM, Joshua33 said:

Wow! I guess you shouldn't have asked for people's opinions if you already knew the answers, and were going to proceed to call people names and educate them after you asked for their opinions. @Randall Dowlingwas giving you his honest opinion and trying to demonstrate what he would do with the book if it was his. Very kind of him to take the time in my eyes... I don't normally do this, but being that you're so kind to others, let me offer you my opinion. Moon Knight 1 is so far from being a KEY issue in the realm of ACTUAL keys that if it hitchhiked towards being a key, in a rocket with 8 billion horsepower, it might still never get there. Who knows, though? Maybe you can sell it on Instagram for a profit large enough to buy a Whopper when you get it back in 2023 from pressing, cleaning and grading... if our economy still exists? (shrug)

Well said! :golfclap:

On 10/19/2021 at 10:45 PM, Joshua33 said:

And auction fees, turnaround time traveling time, expense... there goes your hundred bucks.

And the fact that the book has value in it's current condition.  

To be clear, there are times where it makes sense to do all this work (preferably by skilled and experienced preservationists, not hacks).  But the calculation should be considered accurately and not just default to putting every book through the ringer.  

Unfortunately, everyone wants to treat comics like scratch-offs these days.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:21 PM, Joe Peck said:

I'm less pessimistic than the others, and I have generally had good results with CGC pressing.  I think the sales price improvement of this particular book pressed and slabbed over what it would sell for raw would, in fact, more than cover the cost of the service + shipping.  So I do think you'd get a positive gain (though not a lot), and I do not think the market, or our economy, is going to tank in the meantime, so from a strictly numbers perspective, I think it's totally defensible.  But I personally wouldn't bother in this case if it were just the one book.  If, however, you had like 20 other candidates (and I believe from your other thread that you do) I'd feel totally fine about tossing this in with a bunch of others.  (Understand that it might be 2023 before you see it again, though.) 

On 10/20/2021 at 4:03 AM, Poekaymon said:

I'm less pessimistic than the others, and I have generally had good results with CGC pressing.  I think the sales price improvement of this particular book pressed and slabbed over what it would sell for raw would, in fact, more than cover the cost of the service + shipping.  So I do think you'd get a positive gain (though not a lot), and I do not think the market, or our economy, is going to tank in the meantime, so from a strictly numbers perspective, I think it's totally defensible.  But I personally wouldn't bother in this case if it were just the one book.  If, however, you had like 20 other candidates (and I believe from your other thread that you do) I'd feel totally fine about tossing this in with a bunch of others.  (Understand that it might be 2023 before you see it again, though.) 

For sure I will be including this with a box of 20 total that I am sending away especially considering it's one of a very few "Keys" I uncovered in my collection.  Also, it's more about taking care of a book I bought 40 years ago with money I earned working every AM delivering papers rain snow sleet or hail than it is about an investment, but even if I was trying to do this as an money making process I'm fairly sure it would be a net gain. I made a mistake in posting this in this forum instead of the Grading and Restoration forum.  My question in the title and first sentence was "Being new and having never submitted anything to CGC I was just wondering would pressing help this guy:"?  I was not asking for an opinion on what is in my collection to date or whether or not it was worth spending money to clean and press this book.  I was asking if it was repairable since I have no previous knowledge of whether or not pressing can help water damage.  Subsequently I found several old threads on this exact topic and now expect good results.  I will be very happy to get back my book in a few months hopefully clean and neat, and if I decide to sell it some time down the road I am certain it will fetch a far better price having been repaired and graded.  Would I buy a book in this condition and try to flip it after a C&P?  Of course not.  But that's not the situation here, and I'm sorry if I misunderstood Z's comment, but it came off as a back handed insult of this book and my desire to repair it.

Edited by Joe Peck

On 10/20/2021 at 5:15 PM, Hired! said:

Right, and the first 2 guys said Yes and the third guy said Yes but it might not be worth it financially. Where's the problem?

What? None of the first 3 responses even came close to asking that. Are you just skimming the replies?

Well, it appears the post in question has been deleted by the poster so at this point it's moot, and to answer your question at 56 years young I have learned that taking short cuts is never an answer so, no, I do not skim replies.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:10 PM, Hired! said:

:gossip: Marvel Spotlight #28 (first solo MK... not a key anyway).

But you're right about everything else. He must have extremely thin skin if he considers the first 3 responses to be mean or negative. They weren't.

There is little that is official in the world of comics, but GoCollect disagrees:

Key.jpg

Edited by Joe Peck

On 10/20/2021 at 6:04 PM, Hired! said:

Who posted it and what did it say?

If he removed it and did not offer additional comments then obviously he would prefer it goes unsaid and to leave the discussion.  After my quick retort I realized he had offered me advice in other replies that was quite helpful.  As I mentioned in my earlier reply, it is possible and even likely that his intent was not what I interpreted it to be initially and my reaction may have been overly strong.  It is difficult to discern intent on the internet from mere posts and many times one misinterprets the tone.

Edited by Joe Peck

Your initial question was, "would pressing help this guy?", and the answer is yes (cleaning/pressing).  Is it worth cleaning/pressing/slabbing/selling?  IMO, no.  It will most likely top out at 6.0.  If you want to improve the appearance of the book, go for it.  If you want to try to flip it, that's a lot of money and time for a little bit of return.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:10 PM, Joe Peck said:

If he removed it and did not offer additional comments then obviously he would prefer it goes unsaid and to leave the discussion.  After my quick retort I realized he had offered me advice in other replies that was quite helpful.  As I mentioned in my earlier reply, it is possible and even likely that his intent was not what I interpreted it to be initially and my reaction may have been overly strong.  It is difficult to discern intent on the internet from mere posts and many times one misinterprets the tone.

You came to the right place...good advice all around. Good luck with the books!  (thumbsu

On 10/19/2021 at 6:21 PM, Joe Peck said:a CGC 3.5 listed on Ebay for $300 . . . so I'm thinking it's worth $50 bucks to try.

That’s not your book it’s a price variant, and it’s also not a confirmed sale but an ask price young Jedi.