• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can pressing help wavy water damage?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Supposed $200 - eBay's 18% is $164. Take off $47 for slabbing/pressing/shipping leaves $117. Take another few off for shipping supplies, mileage to the Post Office, etc. Then subtract the original acquisition cost. Not sure what that leaves you but it could be around $50-$70? Think about what you could sell that for RAW and whether it's worth it.  (Plus you lost roughly a year waiting for it to come back.)

I think that's what people are trying to tell you having done it themselves...:foryou:

(The eBay 18% is what I'm currently getting charged when I include free shipping.)

Edited by sckao

Does anybody take the time to actually read anything?

The post was deleted.  Also, I said I over reacted and I sent the book in to be cleaned and pressed because it has sentimental value so I don’t care if I make or lose money on the book since I have no intention of selling BUT for the record it is still growing in popularity:

2D2FA098-5E5D-4D09-8D4B-255466F2A62E.png

Edited by Joe Peck

On 10/20/2021 at 4:33 PM, Joe Peck said:

For sure I will be including this with a box of 20 total that I am sending away especially considering it's one of a very few "Keys" I uncovered in my collection.  Also, it's more about taking care of a book I bought 40 years ago with money I earned working every AM delivering papers rain snow sleet or hail than it is about an investment, but even if I was trying to do this as an money making process I'm fairly sure it would be a net gain. I made a mistake in posting this in this forum instead of the Grading and Restoration forum.  My question in the title and first sentence was "Being new and having never submitted anything to CGC I was just wondering would pressing help this guy:"?  I was not asking for an opinion on what is in my collection to date or whether or not it was worth spending money to clean and press this book.  I was asking if it was repairable since I have no previous knowledge of whether or not pressing can help water damage.  Subsequently I found several old threads on this exact topic and now expect good results.  I will be very happy to get back my book in a few months hopefully clean and neat, and if I decide to sell it some time down the road I am certain it will fetch a far better price having been repaired and graded.  Would I buy a book in this condition and try to flip it after a C&P?  Of course not.  But that's not the situation here, and I'm sorry if I misunderstood Z's comment, but it came off as a back handed insult of this book and my desire to repair it.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:00 PM, Joe Peck said:

Well, it appears the post in question has been deleted by the poster so at this point it's moot, and to answer your question at 56 years young I have learned that taking short cuts is never an answer so, no, I do not skim replies.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:10 PM, Joe Peck said:

If he removed it and did not offer additional comments then obviously he would prefer it goes unsaid and to leave the discussion.  After my quick retort I realized he had offered me advice in other replies that was quite helpful.  As I mentioned in my earlier reply, it is possible and even likely that his intent was not what I interpreted it to be initially and my reaction may have been overly strong.  It is difficult to discern intent on the internet from mere posts and many times one misinterprets the tone.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:42 PM, Robot Chicken said:

Where did you post this? I'm not seeing it in this thread. I see this post where you break down how much your "sentimental value" is worth :insane:

Seriously?  See above.