• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DWJ Hammer on ComicLink
2 2

10 posts in this topic

I don't think the auction has a thread as it was overall pretty average or below even for a focused auction, but the hammer price on this Daniel Warren Johnson commission blew me away. $8,900 USD

It's 11x14 and a stand out piece. Most of DWJ's commissions have really been outstanding, and I don't know what they go for from Felix, but that had to make the consignor happy. Awesome for DWJ too, who is quickly reaching Tradd Moore territory.

That's like 9/10's of a MiracleMan #1 Cover :flamed:

DWJ.jpg

Edited by skrilla1212
Commission 8not8 cover

On 10/19/2021 at 4:56 PM, rlextherobot said:

Wow! I've been waiting for DWJ's commision list to reopen for a minute. Super curious how this will effect the pricing, or if he'll even be doing standard commissions going forward. 

Fan of DWJ as well and he was nice enough to do a quick sketch in my book at NYCC.

His 6x9's there were $300 a pop, he can pack the detail in there too. 

This is an incredible result, there was a nice Weapon X of his that finished up for just over $300 yesterday too.

RAD69C23202185_132246.jpg

On 10/19/2021 at 2:15 PM, BVladimirHarkonnen said:

Fan of DWJ as well and he was nice enough to do a quick sketch in my book at NYCC.

His 6x9's there were $300 a pop, he can pack the detail in there too. 

This is an incredible result, there was a nice Weapon X of his that finished up for just over $300 yesterday too.

RAD69C23202185_132246.jpg

That's lovely! Yeah, he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who half-asses things. 

On 10/19/2021 at 9:56 PM, rlextherobot said:

Wow! I've been waiting for DWJ's commision list to reopen for a minute. Super curious how this will effect the pricing, or if he'll even be doing standard commissions going forward. 

I would 100% expect his prices to go up! I'm not sure if it's Felix who sets the price or the artist themselves, but I've always found them to be very market savvy. 

On 10/22/2021 at 1:07 PM, Nexus said:

I've now heard from both the underbidder and the winner. I was actually informed about it by the underbidder...I wasn't watching and had no idea. Even to me, this was insane.

Treating it as an outlier and it won't affect our pricing of his art. Obviously, if this turns out to not be an outlier, then we will have to re-examine. But for now, maintaining status quo.

Outliers become the norm with frightening regularity and speed these days unfortunately (for collectors).

On 10/22/2021 at 4:07 PM, Nexus said:

I've now heard from both the underbidder and the winner. I was actually informed about it by the underbidder...I wasn't watching and had no idea. Even to me, this was insane.

Treating it as an outlier and it won't affect our pricing of his art. Obviously, if this turns out to not be an outlier, then we will have to re-examine. But for now, maintaining status quo.

Felix did post on IG in reference to the pricing concern.

image.png.bf1741ea2a66b34b235defea2641009e.png