• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice? Keep tape or remove tape?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

See photos...I have an FF #15 with some tape repair...it's well done...but I am unsure.  If I leave the tape, am I likely to get a restored grade?  I think trying to remove it will do a good amount of damage.

20211019_191307.jpg

20211019_191312.jpg

20211019_191331.jpg

The only way you’d reliably get that off is with heat, which would only remove the plastic backing, and then a solvent to take up the adhesive residue, but it’s not worth the risks here. Your cover looks fine as is and previous comments are correct, CGC shouldn’t view it as restoration, so long as there isn’t something else hidden in there like rice paper or color touch (I do kinda wonder about the weird outlining around the sealed tear; could just be old adhesive reaction bleeding thru, or glue, which would be a problem).

Edited by Grottu

On 10/20/2021 at 8:52 AM, Grottu said:

(I do kinda wonder about the weird outlining around the sealed tear; could just be old adhesive reaction bleeding thru, or glue, which would be a problem).

I had similar concerns. Perhaps it's just the picture (shrug)

On 10/31/2021 at 10:28 AM, Topnotchman said:

If you can get the tape removed safely and economically it should be removed.  Long term affects from tape is paper degrading and some collectors refuse to buy or pay market value for a book that has tape of any kind.  

From a long-term preservation standpoint, I 100% agree with this.  But I also agree with all of the comments that are directed more toward the question of "What is best for the book now from a resale value" standpoint.  The answer depends on what the owner wants for the book.  

My biggest unanswered question is whether the piece will fall off if the tape is removed.  If the piece is not still attached to the rest of the cover, then it's probably better to leave the tape. 

But if the piece is attached, I'd remove it and just press the book afterward.  It'll still probably grade about the same level plus or minus maybe one grade level with a gouge like that if the piece still otherwise attached to the rest of the book.  Having the tape noted on the label will drive down the desirability and resale value as Topnotchman notes, and I personally would want to get rid of it.  

If the piece is detached, cgc will downgrade the book as if it were missing.   It would be controversial if it’s a detached piece reattached with tape.  If I owned the book and the piece is attached, I would absolutely get the tape removed and the tears cleanly pressed tight.   It would absolutely improve the overall grade with the tear cleanly pressed and the tape removed. 

Edited by Topnotchman