• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much more growth is in these ASM issues?

24 posts in this topic

121, 122 and 129 have always been high demand books and they should always continue to grow.  124 is a newer “kewl book” that really blew up due to potential movie/show whispers.  Have to see if that pans out long term  or fizzles. 

On 10/20/2021 at 7:18 PM, chrisco37 said:

121, 122 and 129 have always been high demand books and they should always continue to grow.  124 is a newer “kewl book” that really blew up due to potential movie/show whispers.  Have to see if that pans out long term  or fizzles. 

To be honest that is what it seems lately,  yet I heard rumor or tale of that one since about 2016.....

I've passed on copies throughout thinking it was a fad the whole time too.

Somehow it floats all boats till it becomes a curiosity again.

Lol as I'm typing this, I see watching Andy Griffith at the moment is affecting my twang!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, chrisco37 said:

With 124 you have to bear in mind that it is/was devilishly difficult in 9.8 ... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Well said! The people pushing the prices up are not the same people who will actually want to own those comics in years to come, they are speculators and hopefully will have moved onto other investments. The die hards who love the comics for what they are, comics, will still have them and/or will continue to trade them with other genuine collectors. Maybe I'm naive. But I'm a comics guy not a money guy. Always will be.

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 11/2/2021 at 4:50 PM, KCOComics said:

Interesting story and I'll try not to project this one experience on an entire generation.... 

There is a young guy who works at my local shop. Probably 23 or so. He said a guy walked into a shop trying to sell all sorts of big books and he listed a few... Hulk 180, ASM129... But the book he was most excited about was a ASM121.  He said he was shaking to hold it.  I was surprised that of all those books, ASM121 was the most thrilling for him and his buddies. 

Yeah if you are into ASM or just like to read comics 121 is a fantastic story, high drama. I came into it in 77 so it was a little before my time but i revered it as one of the best issues. Love it. 

On 10/31/2021 at 7:25 PM, gunsmokin said:

If they develop a werewolf by night in the MCU, I’d think 124 would lose some steam since I can’t imagine them doing both.

They'll probably blend them together into one concept somehow. The werewolf and vampire genres have both been well represented in the last decade however. That's probably the same reason we aren't seeing a Simon Garth appearance in MCU right away. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 11/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, KCOComics said:

Interesting story and I'll try not to project this one experience on an entire generation.... 

There is a young guy who works at my local shop. Probably 23 or so. He said a guy walked into a shop trying to sell all sorts of big books and he listed a few... Hulk 180, ASM129... But the book he was most excited about was a ASM121.  He said he was shaking to hold it.  I was surprised that of all those books, ASM121 was the most thrilling for him and his buddies. 

Perhaps a true romantic. It was a good story and comics weren't deeply in the habit of killing their characters at that time, either. I loved it when they did and kept them dead, too. Gwen is dead. Not no more, though. A few members of the Legion Of Superheroes remained dead as well.

Now, they kill them and cop out and bring them back to life. Wolfman killed Supergirl and of course she made her way back to life. Same as Superman. If they aren't going to stay dead, don't kill them in the first place. Cheapens their death. No one really believes they will stay dead anymore either so stop making yourselves look ridiculous. Only a sap would believe they won't bring them back. I remember someone running around saying "They KILLED SUPERMAN? Can you believe it?" No, I replied. I do not.

Haha. It's probably ILLEGAL to kill Superman now. Gah head. Kill him and every Superman there is. Some Kryptonian sleeper virus does them all in. Then, stop publishing the title in all its forms. Show some hair.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, KCOComics said:

I can relate, tis my absolute favorite book of all time. Such an iconic story and one that will hopefully never be retconed.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:52 PM, universal soldier said:

I can relate, tis my absolute favorite book of all time. Such an iconic story and one that will hopefully never be retconed.

It is a great story...and I also love the history around it. Stan wasn't aware of it and had to face a bunch of angry fans. 

On 11/5/2021 at 6:30 PM, Randall Ries said:

Perhaps a true romantic. It was a good story and comics weren't deeply in the habit of killing their characters at that time, either. I loved it when they did and kept them dead, too. Gwen is dead. Not no more, though. A few members of the Legion Of Superheroes remained dead as well.

Now, they kill them and cop out and bring them back to life. Wolfman killed Supergirl and of course she made her way back to life. Same as Superman. If they aren't going to stay dead, don't kill them in the first place. Cheapens their death. No one really believes they will stay dead anymore either so stop making yourselves look ridiculous. Only a sap would believe they won't bring them back. I remember someone running around saying "They KILLED SUPERMAN? Can you believe it?" No, I replied. I do not.

Haha. It's probably ILLEGAL to kill Superman now. Gah head. Kill him and every Superman there is. Some Kryptonian sleeper virus does them all in. Then, stop publishing the title in all its forms. Show some hair.

I agree. To constantly bring characters back to life cheapens the experience. 

But this book was one of the great stories of it's day.  I should look into picking 121 and 122 and rereading it. 

On 11/7/2021 at 6:31 AM, KCOComics said:

I agree. To constantly bring characters back to life cheapens the experience. 

But this book was one of the great stories of it's day.  I should look into picking 121 and 122 and rereading it. 

That is absolutely it. I had my two copies back then and loved them. I remember suffering with Peter Parker when Gwen Stacy died. The "snap" heard around the world.

3.png