• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does "Coloring" Inside The Words Affect Grading?

6 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone

I recently acquired a comic from Mile High and was excited but I have a couple issues. I was unaware it had writing on the back, but more importantly, it has the "spider-man no more" colored inside the letters. I just wanted to get your opinion on if this would be graded as a qualified (purple) or universal grade (blue)? It is important to me it gets a universal (blue) label, obviously, but any help would be greatly appreciated before I send in for grading. 

Thanks

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

And given the lower grade condition it is already in, you should be just fine regardless.  I think that small of doodling would be totally acceptable in a Good condition book, probably would not even deduct from a G/VG.   Now had it been a VF or NM book, that doodling would had dropped it a ton! LOL

Did MH advertise the comic book as a G/2.0 or as NM?

As concerns the apparent doodling, I submitted an A S-M 9 several years ago that had (correction, "has") doodling on the "S" and graded it as as 6.5/FN+ with the doodling and CGC "agreed," grading it 6.5. Without the doodling I graded it 7.5/VF-. I could not complain about the doodling as that comic book and several other A S-M keys were part of a $25 purchase from a gentleman around 1982 or 1983 that "just wanted to get rid of this junk." The comic books were all in a cardboard box, bag and backing board free. Of course, the comic books were basically "worthless" in 1984.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
"Has" replacing "had"

On 10/21/2021 at 7:06 AM, RoccoAJr said:

Hey Everyone

I recently acquired a comic from Mile High and was excited but I have a couple issues. I was unaware it had writing on the back, but more importantly, it has the "spider-man no more" colored inside the letters. I just wanted to get your opinion on if this would be graded as a qualified (purple) or universal grade (blue)? It is important to me it gets a universal (blue) label, obviously, but any help would be greatly appreciated before I send in for grading. 

Thanks

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

It's going to get a blue label for sure unless there is a coupon clipped or something else is wrong with the book.  

As for the grade, if the back cover is in the same shape as the front, that's a super nice looking 2.0 and I would not be surprised if it graded significantly higher than that (4.0-ish) based on the front cover pics.  I don't think I've ever seen a graded G 2.0 that nice looking that didn't have a major hidden defect somewhere.  

Take a look at pages 318 to 327 of the newest Overstreet Grading Guide.  They have a comparison of different copies of ASM #50 ranging from NM/MT 9.8, VF/NM 9.0, and at various grades along the way down to FR 1.0.  Again, you didn't show the back cover, but your front cover compares favorably with both the G 2.0 and the G/VG 3.0 Overstreet shows and is in several ways nicer than the VG 4.0 they show, though their 4.0 does not have the same inked writing.  But I'd put those two copies pretty close to one another and if there are no back cover surprises, you're almost certainly going to get higher than G 2.0 when you get it graded, especially if you get it pressed first.