• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a Bigger CGC Discount offered for HUGE submissions?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I just read on the CBCS site that if you call them with a huge submission request, they will work with you on price. Is there anyway to do that for CGC?  I literally have like 500-700 books I am considering for submission to CGC after acquiring a huge collection of Silver Age to some Key Copper age books. I am only sending them the nicer grades and at least semi-keys, but in there are a few nice holy grail type keys even.  Does anyone know of any way to bump up the CGC grading discount above 10%?  I know they used to offer 15% for a larger subscription cost, but I don't see that offered anymore.  Meanwhile some big dealers/resto guys still can get 20% somehow with dealer pricing?  Maybe I can ask them for the dealer price on this one since my submission would so huge/expensive and as big as almost any of theirs? Not sure how I go about doing that though or if its possible?   Any help would be appreciated. 

You could call or email customer service. 

Even if someone on the boards responds here with evidence that do it, or don't do it, you would have to qualify that as to WHEN that experience occurred.  In this time period, with super high demand on their services, super long TAT's, under-staffing, sale of the company transition, etc., there would seem to be little incentive for them to offer a further discount.  They are not begging for business.

You would also have to be prepared to PAY for 500-700 grading and or pressing fees up front.  Yikes.  And then wait....wait....wait.

Most things are negotiable. If someone refuses then accept that or try someone else. Dealers have more leverage so bigger discount. Call them up and don't ask for a discount. Tell them why they need to give you a discount. 

On 10/22/2021 at 2:51 PM, Thisisrequired said:

Most things are negotiable. If someone refuses then accept that or try someone else. Dealers have more leverage so bigger discount. Call them up and don't ask for a discount. Tell them why they need to give you a discount. 

True.  I suppose telling them I have significant future business (which is factual) along with this huge multi thousand dollar order along with the idea I am contemplating the big discount their competitor offered vs going with CGC might be a better negotiation tactic/request than just saying can I please have a discount.   (thumbsu    Wish me luck.   :wishluck:

On 10/22/2021 at 4:57 PM, TC33 said:

True.  I suppose telling them I have significant future business (which is factual) along with this huge multi thousand dollar order along with the idea I am contemplating the big discount their competitor offered vs going with CGC might be a better negotiation tactic/request than just saying can I please have a discount.   (thumbsu    Wish me luck.   :wishluck:

Good luck. I have a feeling you will be using your dealer's 20% but give them H.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:33 PM, Thisisrequired said:

Good luck. I have a feeling you will be using your dealer's 20% but give them H.

Are there any big dealers out there that will still offer their 20% discount WITHOUT requiring you to list every book you submit through them in their upcoming auction?  I would be open to go that route, but I have not know that to exist for some time.  I know some pressers to do the same thing, but again you have to ship every book to them first and use their services before getting the grading submission discount.  :)

On 10/22/2021 at 6:17 PM, TC33 said:

Are there any big dealers out there that will still offer their 20% discount WITHOUT requiring you to list every book you submit through them in their upcoming auction?  I would be open to go that route, but I have not know that to exist for some time.  I know some pressers to do the same thing, but again you have to ship every book to them first and use their services before getting the grading submission discount.  :)

Still exists as of half a year or so ago. I haven't slabbed anything since. But I am friends with and or been buying selling trading with for decades so I don't see a problem unless they lost their discounts. I don't blame those pressers. Why should they waste time submitting your books if there isn't anything in it for them? 

On 10/22/2021 at 9:43 PM, Topnotchman said:

500-700 is not that many books.  You could create a dealer account which is 15%.

I submit substantially more than this each and every month. I get the 15% dealer discount. But good luck trying. Let us know what they say. 

On 10/23/2021 at 7:10 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. You need to establish a history with your CGC submissions in order to be approved as a dealer. 

From what I remember I turned in my state business tax number.