• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help and advice on a restored ASM #1?

41 posts in this topic

On 10/30/2021 at 10:11 PM, FFB said:

The completed sales data of restored ASM#1s on eBay or elsewhere do not support what you are saying.  Maybe he would get lucky if he listed the book the way you say, but there isn't any sales data I'm aware of to back up what you are saying.  I'm curious what specific listings you saw that make you so sure he'll get double FMV for it if he lists it right now in a no reserve, 99 cent, 7 day auction?

All of them. All the AS 1s currently listed on ebay are up, up, and away over value. Too many BINs. Frustrating for someone that really wants to buy rather than just window shop. Good timing now to list one now for auction. It will get lots of participants, some of which who will get involved, and like you said, with a little luck, a bidding war will ensue in the final minutes. I think there's more than a good chance of that. This is all given what's available now. All overpriced, IMO. 

Also, the book has enough eye appeal to pull off a $6500 to $8000 finish against the current other stable of AS 1s in the ebay race. 

Edited by James J Johnson

On 10/30/2021 at 10:11 PM, FFB said:

The completed sales data of restored ASM#1s on eBay or elsewhere do not support what you are saying.  Maybe he would get lucky if he listed the book the way you say, but there isn't any sales data I'm aware of to back up what you are saying.  I'm curious what specific listings you saw that make you so sure he'll get double FMV for it if he lists it right now in a no reserve, 99 cent, 7 day auction?

Potential results are not always about past results. Sometimes it's more about the other horses in the race than the horse you're going to back and currently the AS 1 ebay field is weak, favoring what ordinarily, in a better field should be a longshot, but will not be if run now against this weak field.

On 10/30/2021 at 10:25 PM, James J Johnson said:

All of them. All the AS 1s currently listed on ebay are up, up, and away over value. Too many BINs. Frustrating for someone that really wants to buy rather than just window shop. Good timing now to list one now for auction. It will get lots of participants, some of which who will get involved, and like you said, with a little luck, a bidding war will ensue in the final minutes. I think there's more than a good chance of that. This is all given what's available now. All overpriced, IMO. 

Also, the book has enough eye appeal to pull off a $6500 to $8000 finish against the current other stable of AS 1s in the ebay race. 

All of what?  You're talking about unsold listings with sky high BIN prices with no takers on a small handful of books.  Do you have any actual sales data?

This book is going to grade no higher than an apparent 2.0, possibly lower, and depending on the total size of all of the piece fills replaced, will grade at least moderate/extensive and possibly extensive amateur.  I see fill on all four back cover corners and possibly on the front as well, plus the trimmed edges and who knows what other work would be apparent in hand as opposed to what you can see in pictures.  All of this would be a killer on the value of this book.  I collect Amazing Spider-Man and this book would scare the hell out of me in an eBay auction if it weren't CGC graded.  

On 10/30/2021 at 10:58 PM, FFB said:

All of what?  You're talking about unsold listings with sky high BIN prices with no takers on a small handful of books.  Do you have any actual sales data?

This book is going to grade no higher than an apparent 2.0, possibly lower, and depending on the total size of all of the piece fills replaced, will grade at least moderate/extensive and possibly extensive amateur.  I see fill on all four back cover corners and possibly on the front as well, plus the trimmed edges and who knows what other work would be apparent in hand as opposed to what you can see in pictures.  All of this would be a killer on the value of this book.  I collect Amazing Spider-Man and this book would scare the hell out of me in an eBay auction if it weren't CGC graded.  

All of the AS 1s currently listed. I'm telling you, $6500 minimum if run now, a possible $8000 if two bidders go to war. It's an attractive book. It would do well on ebay run against this current field of almost exclusively BIN listings. 

On 10/30/2021 at 10:57 PM, James J Johnson said:

Potential results are not always about past results. Sometimes it's more about the other horses in the race than the horse you're going to back and currently the AS 1 ebay field is weak, favoring what ordinarily, in a better field should be a longshot, but will not be if run now against this weak field.

Where I think you and I can agree is that now is a good time to sell an ASM #1.  Where we disagree is how he should go about doing it and his much he'll get for it.  If this were my book, I would send it in to get graded and then sell it.  If he sends it in now, he'll get it back before the movie comes out.  

On 10/30/2021 at 10:58 PM, FFB said:

It's a brave new comic world. My magic 8 ball says $6500 to $8000. Forget the past results. Look at what it would be running against for comparative shopping. 

On 10/30/2021 at 11:01 PM, FFB said:

Where I think you and I can agree is that now is a good time to sell an ASM #1.  Where we disagree is how he should go about doing it and his much he'll get for it.  If this were my book, I would send it in to get graded and then sell it.  If he sends it in now, he'll get it back before the movie comes out.  

Sound thinking. But based on what is up and running now. Right now, The iron is white hot. Time to strike. 

On 10/30/2021 at 10:59 PM, James J Johnson said:

All of the AS 1s currently listed. I'm telling you, $6500 minimum if run now, a possible $8000 if two bidders go to war. It's an attractive book. It would do well on ebay run against this current field of almost exclusively BIN listings. 

Bro.  You are talking about listings with no takers.  I understand your opinion.  But you are clearly just guessing about what an auction would realize on this book with no real, legitimate basis for your guess except your feelings.  Perhaps you are right, perhaps not.  But I definitely would not pay anywhere near that much for this book and I doubt anyone else would either.  Unsold listings do not support a higher value.

On 10/30/2021 at 11:01 PM, FFB said:

That'll be too late. If the bidding doesn't jump right from 0.99 to $5000 in two shots, he'll get 50 bids in the first few days alone. 

On 10/30/2021 at 11:04 PM, FFB said:

Bro.  You are talking about listings with no takers.  I understand your opinion.  But you are clearly just guessing about what an auction would realize on this book with no real, legitimate basis for your guess except your feelings.  Perhaps you are right, perhaps not.  But I definitely would not pay anywhere near that much for this book and I doubt anyone else would either.  Unsold listings do not support a higher value.

Offer him $4000. If he takes it, have him expressmail it to you.  Run it  quickly. You will make money! I'm not guessing. 

On 10/30/2021 at 11:11 PM, FFB said:

Give him $4k for the book then and prove it!

That wouldn't prove anything. I could run it, shill it up to $20,000 with a second and third ebay account and say, "see. I was right", meanwhile I put in one of those "buyer wishes to cancel transaction" non payment claims and its a wash except for the bragging rights of being right. The proof is only in the pudding if someone other than me scores with my pick/tip.. 

On 10/31/2021 at 12:25 PM, Topnotchman said:

Cgc graded complete restored it would likely sell for the going rate of a 1.0 universal graded book.  Raw would be less liquid and lower. 

Not this week. Not with the slate of AS 1s on ebay now, and the movie coming, and that AS 1 having the type of pop it exhibits despite it's closeup Frankenbook persona. $6500 to $8000 if he runs it, open auction, 7 days, no reserve, 0.99 start. But one window is already closing. It should be listed tonight to end next Sunday night for optimal results. 

He could always pull it down with more than a day to go if it doesn't look like it's performing well. But if I'm right. And I know I am. He's in the money zone. It'll make into the $3Gs by day 5, $4Gs by day 6, and pass $5G with one day to go; then a strong finish at $6500 or more ($8000 cap). I've already seen the -script. I've got that Magic 8-Ball

James J Johnson, it is strange that you have made more than a dozen separate replies in a 24 hour period encouraging OP to sell this comic raw immediately when they have clearly stated they do not want to sell it just a few posts before you started your diatribe:

On 10/24/2021 at 11:17 AM, billbrown7080 said:

I honestly don't plan on ever selling it or at least don't plan on selling it until I'm an old man.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:51 PM, bayesian_acolyte said:

James J Johnson, it is strange that you have made more than a dozen separate replies in a 24 hour period encouraging OP to sell this comic raw immediately when they have clearly stated they do not want to sell it just a few posts before you started your diatribe:

Strange how? When a forum member gets a notification and replies to it, which are all of my posts in this thread other than my first opinion? Suddenly, after 4 years of not being strange, everything I post is strange? Even replying to notifications? 

5700 posts in four years? Is that too strange or too excessive for your liking? Let me know if you'd prefer I post less..I'm taking forum requests this week. Am I supposedly a shill now for the OP? Or the other way around? It just keeps getting more and more strange here. Sorry about that.