• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is everyone using these days for Art Resto/Conservation work? Suggestions?
3 3

52 posts in this topic

I've got a couple of pieces that could use some glue stain removal and other conservation work, but it's been a while since I've researched people capable of doing the job. 
Anyone using anyone they particularly like? 
All factors relevant, timeliness, cost, attention to detail, etc. 
I know most will give estimates of a timeline but I'd like to hear from people who've used the services to get a true idea. 
The last thing I want to do is send my art to someone who says they are available and will turn It around quickly only to discover they are really going to be locked up for a year or more.

On 10/22/2021 at 12:50 PM, comix4fun said:

The last thing I want to do is send my art to someone who says they are available and will turn It around quickly only to discover they are really going to be locked up for a year or more.

This is a nightmare scenario for sure. As with everything else related to this hobby, a good idea to do your homework first.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:12 PM, Nexus said:

This is a nightmare scenario for sure. As with everything else related to this hobby, a good idea to do your homework first.

That's why I am asking for some current referrals. 

I've had some really bad experiences with commissions, but with those if it goes wrong you've got outside help (CC companies or PayPal refunds) to bail you out. 
With having a piece of art conserved I have to send that person the art obviously and leave it with them. The anxiety comes from trusting that I am safe leaving a one of a kind piece in someone else's custody. 

Yo Chris

Not wanting to be too political (but let’s face it, what isn’t?!)

But this is someone I wouldn’t be using -

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2021/10/21/garland-man-is-latest-to-be-arrested-for-capitol-riot-after-feds-say-he-fought-with-officers/

On 10/22/2021 at 7:14 PM, cheekyj2112 said:

Yo Chris

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2021/10/21/garland-man-is-latest-to-be-arrested-for-capitol-riot-after-feds-say-he-fought-with-officers/

:whatthe:

:facepalm:

:sumo:

That link is behind a paywall. Here is one that is not: https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/texas-man-punching-officer-violent-struggle-capitol-jan-6-riot/287-8acb8ffa-906f-40bc-9d18-346a18175f64

I don't think this needs to even be considered political. Sending art into someone who is facing those charges just isn't something I'd be comfortable with doing in case their case goes poorly for them and they are unable to attend to their business. 

On 10/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, cheekyj2112 said:

Yo Chris

Holy Cow!!!!

I once considered using him, years ago, for some de-acidification work and then declined when he told me he didn't carry any insurance. That was a risk I wasn't willing to take. This though, you're right, is an entirely different level. 

On 10/22/2021 at 4:57 PM, comix4fun said:

Holy Cow!!!!

I once considered using him, years ago, for some de-acidification work and then declined when he told me he didn't carry any insurance. That was a risk I wasn't willing to take. This though, you're right, is an entirely different level. 

Yes, it seems his judgement was flawed on multiple levels. Adios, muthafarka

Sadly, I am getting no closer to positive reviews or referrals....although I do see the value in new information and warnings. 

On 10/22/2021 at 8:05 PM, lb jefferies said:

Yes, it seems his judgement was flawed on multiple levels. Adios, muthafarka

I have used Robert Dennis in the past, have met him several times, and he is excellent at his work. If the result of the charges are probation or house arrest, and/or he is released on his own recognizance, for now, I would still recommend him.  His politics are his own business; and don't forget, no one is perfect. The only question should be whether his work will be affected by what happened.

And in person, he is a nice guy, not a muthafarka. 

On 10/22/2021 at 5:24 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I have used Robert Dennis in the past, have met him several times, and he is excellent at his work. If the result of the charges are probation or house arrest, and/or he is released on his own recognizance, for now, I would still recommend him.  His politics are his own business; and don't forget, no one is perfect. The only question should be whether his work will be affected by what happened.

And in person, he is a nice guy, not a muthafarka. 

One of the most unbelievable posts I have ever read on these boards. 

On 10/22/2021 at 3:50 PM, comix4fun said:

Wow, we've already convicted and sentenced the guy...because guilty until proven innocent?

Those in the profession, even in the cesspool that Illinois is, should be holding themselves to a higher standard.

On 10/22/2021 at 6:32 PM, vodou said:

Wow, we've already convicted and sentenced the guy...because guilty until proven innocent?

Those in the profession, even in the cesspool that Illinois is, should be holding themselves to a higher standard.

When I read his initial post, I thought he meant it would be tied up (e.g. the guy is busy and won't get to it for a year)

Malvin

Not that I have to explain myself to anyone but I was talking about the backlog that several of the conservation houses and art restorers I've contact have informed me they are facing. Locking up their wait lists for a year or more. Locking up my pieces for longer than I'd like to wait. 

But reading comprehension and recognizing meaning through context aren't skills everyone has attained, so I can't be too hard on people who lack the skills, almost entirely, to communicate effectively. That is, unless they're doing it on purpose. 

On 10/22/2021 at 2:50 PM, comix4fun said:

I've got a couple of pieces that could use some glue stain removal and other conservation work, but it's been a while since I've researched people capable of doing the job. 
Anyone using anyone they particularly like? 
All factors relevant, timeliness, cost, attention to detail, etc. 
I know most will give estimates of a timeline but I'd like to hear from people who've used the services to get a true idea. 

The only way to misread this is to disingenuously carve out only a portion of that, removing the context, all in an effort to throw in a backhanded slur in what has become an unmistakable pattern worthy of the ignore feature for all these years. 

I'm also looking for a conservator - I have a piece of art where the frame was also designed by the artist, so I need someone who isn't just trained on paper.

But also: no insurance? The guy we're talking about has no insurance? That might not seem like the headline, but not having insurance is kind of a bad look.  I mean, beating on a capitol police officer is also a bad look, but if we're keeping it aboout collecting, you'd really hope the guy handling your work wasn't going to do either of those things. Kind of high-risk for the safety of your art.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:08 PM, comix4fun said:

...but I was talking about the backlog that several of the conservation houses and art restorers I've contact have informed me they are facing. Locking up their wait lists for a year or more.

Excellent. Please name them. The two names the hobby bandies about most often have no such wait times, days and weeks yes, but not even months. Years? That's interesting and we would all benefit here, maybe they are worth the wait.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:25 PM, glendgold said:

But also: no insurance? The guy we're talking about has no insurance?

Great point. I wonder how many people ask about this before sending their art out. Same question should be asked before consigning to these "dealers" working out of their homes ;) 

On 10/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, malvin said:

When I read his initial post, I thought he meant it would be tied up (e.g. the guy is busy and won't get to it for a year)

Malvin

That's probably because you read it without an axe to grind, personal grudge or vendetta clouding your judgment or ability to comprehend the written word. 

It also helps that you didn't parse my post in what can only be read as someone intentionally attempting to change the meaning. 

Also you probably took note that it was about 4 hours after I posted that someone else mentioned one particular restorer's legal issues which are outside of my search for positive referrals to solve my dilemma. 

All of those things allowed you to avoid totally embarrassing yourself and permitted you to easily divine the meaning of my post accurately. 

It's interesting that Felix's comment made no sense to me until the subsequent post about Dennis. Reading backwards, this is a weird thread.

Isn't there a list that someone always posts when people ask about restoration. This name is often mentioned.

GORDON G. CHRISTMAN

RESTORATION & CONSERVATION

330 SOUTH HORNE STREET APT L

OCEANSIDE CA 92054

1-760 458 2290

On 10/22/2021 at 9:25 PM, glendgold said:

I'm also looking for a conservator - I have a piece of art where the frame was also designed by the artist, so I need someone who isn't just trained on paper.

But also: no insurance? The guy we're talking about has no insurance? That might not seem like the headline, but not having insurance is kind of a bad look.  I mean, beating on a capitol police officer is also a bad look, but if we're keeping it aboout collecting, you'd really hope the guy handling your work wasn't going to do either of those things. Kind of high-risk for the safety of your art.

The more high-end, museum-based, conservators and restorers I've spoken to locally to carry that insurance but they also work on artwork deep into the 8 figure range, authenticating, restoring, conserving, etc. and it works their way into their pricing. There's no discount just because it's a piece of comic art worth $20k. So, I would be covered insurance-wise no problem. It's getting in the door, waiting at the back of their line while they work on far more lucrative or important "priority" jobs, and still paying a large premium above quotes prices within our hobby. The hourly cost could easily exceed the value of many comic art pieces with ease. You have no doubt you're dealing with a high end professional operation but it's pyrrhic in cost and time. 

Still, the lack of insurance from pretty much everyone I've talked to within the comic hobby is a non-starter for me. It makes it feel like less of a real business and more of a side-hustle and it feels very much so irresponsible. When I am entrusting my items with someone one of the last things I want to feel is that they are irresponsible.