• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is everyone using these days for Art Resto/Conservation work? Suggestions?
3 3

52 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2021 at 7:44 PM, cstojano said:

It's interesting that Felix's comment made no sense to me until the subsequent post about Dennis. Reading backwards, this is a weird thread.

Isn't there a list that someone always posts when people ask about restoration. This name is often mentioned.

GORDON G. CHRISTMAN

RESTORATION & CONSERVATION

330 SOUTH HORNE STREET APT L

OCEANSIDE CA 92054

1-760 458 2290

I have a long (and good) professional relationship with Gordon, but waiting a very long time for him to open up can be part of the deal. 

On 10/22/2021 at 9:44 PM, cstojano said:

It's interesting that Felix's comment made no sense to me until the subsequent post about Dennis. Reading backwards, this is a weird thread.

Isn't there a list that someone always posts when people ask about restoration. This name is often mentioned.

GORDON G. CHRISTMAN

RESTORATION & CONSERVATION

330 SOUTH HORNE STREET APT L

OCEANSIDE CA 92054

1-760 458 2290

I've emailed/spoken with Gordon. A lot of my friends in the hobby use him. He's the one guy I think I'd have the easiest time trusting with my art. His reputation and completed work product seem very solid. I just have a hard time handing items over to someone in a bailment situation unless I am sure I am fully covered in case of loss, theft or destruction. 

On 10/22/2021 at 8:49 PM, comix4fun said:

I just read those stories, saw the pictures, and the full accounts. I was really hoping to keep this thread on track so I could get someone I could trust to get those glue stains off my Romita piece, but C'mon now!

I think it's an error to conflate "politics" and someone's tangible physical acts of violence (on tape, not in dispute). People are free to support or decry anyone they want. They're not entitled to beat up people, especially police officers, and have it be dismissed as "personal beliefs". The police officer he beat is likely less concerned with what policy positions the defendant takes and is entirely concerned with how he was disarmed, thrown to the ground, and beaten by him. 

All that aside, you don't see this as a major failure in personal judgment? Decision making that is at the very mildest "questionable"? When it comes to entrusting valuable pieces of property to someone, whether or not their personal judgment and decision making makes them trustworthy is one of most critical criteria in my eyes. 
I don't care if, when he touches the art it turns to gold in his hands, I'm not twisting myself into an ethical/moral pretzel to excuse this type of behavior as "nobody's perfect". I've got too many law enforcement people in my family tree to disrespect them by diminishing what actually happened in euphemisms and spin. 

Frankly, I paid no attention to the “evidence” in question. You asked about a good and reputable restorer. That was my answer based on personal dealings, and yes, I would use him again if he is available.  I deal with real issues of evidence and bad behavior regularly as part of my work, and things are rarely black and white. Saints are sinners; sinners are saints. Photo’s, tapes, untaped discussions, falsified records, doctored testimony, And, just plain stupid. No, hitting people is wrong.
But maybe more is going on here than you or the public (let alone me) knows. If he were really that bad, would he have been let go, and told that the police would apply for a warrant at a later time?I doubt it. What if the hitting involved defense of others? What if he was just pulled into a surge? Let a judge hear what is going on; he’ll make a preliminary call when the subject of bail comes up. And, I won’t twist myself into a moral pretzel either, because I won’t pass judgement. That’s someone else’s job. 

Edited by Rick2you2

So....any more referrals besides Gordon (who's very good)? 

There seem to be new pressing businesses cropping up daily for comics. I'd hoped it would bleed into the art side of the hobby and provide some new options. 

You can PM me too, if this thread's taken a turn towards something you're rather not engage in. 

On 10/22/2021 at 9:12 PM, comix4fun said:

So....any more referrals besides Gordon (who's very good)? 

There seem to be new pressing businesses cropping up daily for comics. I'd hoped it would bleed into the art side of the hobby and provide some new options. 

You can PM me too, if this thread's taken a turn towards something you're rather not engage in. 

From the previous threads on this topic.

• Tracey Heft - Eclipse Paper

I've also had one recommendation for each of these:
Edited by cstojano

On 10/22/2021 at 11:18 PM, cstojano said:

From the previous threads on this topic

• Tracey Heft - Eclipse Paper

I've also had one recommendation for each of these:

Thanks for the list I did not see that thread. It will give me some sites to visit

I just have to ask, who recommended Mark McDermott to you? 

On 10/22/2021 at 9:20 PM, comix4fun said:

Thanks for the list I did not see that thread. It will give me some sites to visit

I just have to ask, who recommended Mark McDermott to you? 

Sorry, this isn't my data, it is from another user that maintains this list whose name I assume is alexjohnson (but his screen name is missing some vowels). Search "Gordon Christman" to find the older threads.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:10 PM, Rick2you2 said:

But maybe more is going on here than you or the public (let alone me) knows. If he were really that bad, would he have been let go, and told that the police would apply for a warrant at a later time?I doubt it. 

I don't want this to distract from the point of this thread but I have to ask....is this finding of "doubt" coming from any law enforcement experience or specific criminal law background, or is it just a gut feeling? I ask because in mass unrest, riot-type situations, where police are responding to more incidents than they can possible cover and are overwhelmed, it's not uncommon to "triage" offenders when there is not time or resources to immediately arrest and take into custody. I guarantee you it's happened all over the country and for decades. As long as they confirm who you are, where you're from, they can always come get you later while concentrating on more severe injuries or damage ongoing and in need of those resources immediately. In this case there's video of him needing medical attention and he was released to obtain it once his information was gathered. 

On 10/22/2021 at 11:24 PM, cstojano said:

Sorry, this isn't my data, it is from another user that maintains this list whose name I assume is alexjohnson (but his screen name is missing some vowels). Search "Gordon Christman" to find the older threads.

Oh sorry, I misread the "was recommended to me" as to "you" but it's to the original poster. I get it. Thanks. 

On 10/23/2021 at 3:16 AM, lb jefferies said:

One of the most unbelievable posts I have ever read on these boards. 

I think I'm hallucinating reading this too...

I bought a piece of his collection 1 year and half ago, and so took some time, aside, to talk with him, by email, about his restoration works.

Nice guy, and a very helpfull guy to make the transaction happening, too (I'm located overseas)

I think I'm hallucinating...

Edited by Ecclectica

On 10/23/2021 at 12:27 AM, comix4fun said:

I don't want this to distract from the point of this thread but I have to ask....is this finding of "doubt" coming from any law enforcement experience or specific criminal law background, or is it just a gut feeling? I ask because in mass unrest, riot-type situations, where police are responding to more incidents than they can possible cover and are overwhelmed, it's not uncommon to "triage" offenders when there is not time or resources to immediately arrest and take into custody. I guarantee you it's happened all over the country and for decades. As long as they confirm who you are, where you're from, they can always come get you later while concentrating on more severe injuries or damage ongoing and in need of those resources immediately. In this case there's video of him needing medical attention and he was released to obtain it once his information was gathered. 

Are you seriously suggesting that cops are saints? They are never capable of inflating the facts, along with charges? The Capitol Police were lambasted for their performance. You don’t think they aren’t going to try and fix their reputation by bring anyone in they can to show they were on the job— and then push prosecutors, some of whom are more than willing to pad their won/lost records, to get convictions?

I am suggesting that whatever happened has to be judged, and even then, if plea bargained, may be the result of a practical settlement more than proof of wrongdoing—and that, I have seen happen. I once knew a defense attorney who estimated that 20-25% of people in jail were there for crimes they did not commit. Those people may have committed other crimes, he pointed out, but not the ones for which they were in jail.

I don’t know what Dennis did or didn’t do. But if he gets a really minor sentence, like probation, a fine, house arrest or community service, then he didn’t do much. 

My suggestion is to approach folks beyond these boards -- your favorite dealer(s), a Facebook group chat, etc.  It's unlikely anyone with a stellar but lesser known go-to recommendation is going to post it here for everyone to see, in the process adding to their own wait times.  I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

There are too few reliable players to begin with when it comes to restoration.

Re: Dennis, there's nothing I can add that won't come across as political, except that his cosplay skills as exhibited on 1/6 leave much to be desired.  

On 10/23/2021 at 8:02 AM, exitmusicblue said:

It's unlikely anyone with a stellar but lesser known go-to recommendation is going to post it here for everyone to see, in the process adding to their own wait times.  I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

If true, that’s a real shame; maybe it really is every man for himself in this world?

On 10/23/2021 at 9:06 PM, vodou said:

If true, that’s a real shame; maybe it really is every man for himself in this world?

Happy to share with friends, affinity groups, etc.; but it's been a long time since I've felt charitable on these here boards.  : )  Likewise with Reddit. 

Edited by exitmusicblue

On 10/23/2021 at 8:17 AM, exitmusicblue said:

Happy to share with friends, affinity groups, etc.; but it's been a long time I've felt charitable on these here boards.  : )  Likewise with Reddit. 

I hear that, and to each their own always, but in spite of “life“ online or otherwise and the sorts of personalities one will encounter if they engage any further than their property line with anyone…I will still take people new to me at face value and assume the best until proven wrong and be as helpful as I can without putting myself in harms way. However I will admit there is a sliding scale for this “as helpful“ stuff, and those that do not engage similarly or show themselves to be disingenuous, they shouldn’t be surprised to find themselves getting below average “help” outta me ;)

If you find yourself in my “all others” category…well were you on fire with nary a glass of Perrier to be found…I wouldn’t even slow my roll to unzip. It is not my job to stand in the way of Karma lol 

On 10/23/2021 at 5:39 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Are you seriously suggesting that cops are saints?  (SNIP)

So, your answer to my question of your actual level knowledge or experience in the area of riot or unrest related arrest or citation procedures is "NONE" then? 
That would have been easier to post I think. 
I didn't need the smoke screen further obscuring my thread. Perhaps start your own thread on this topic. 

I used Robert Dennis earlier this year to clean-up a Ditko cover going to auction.  Bit pricey, but he did a great job that I'm sure helped sell the art.  His turnaround time was pretty good.  I can't access the news item posted here so can't comment.  Unless he's some sort of mass-murderer, or child-molester, I'd certainly use Robert Dennis again.

Edited by The Voord

Well, I'm guessing this topic is going to get shut down at any moment. Before that happens...

...For what it's worth, I've used Gordan Christman numerous times. He does good work, but it can take a while. I will sheepishly admit it never occurred to me ask about any insurance he carries. It's a fair concern in hindsight. Gordan is local for me, so I guess it felt safer than shipping art off to another city or state. Not logical I suppose, but over the course of 15-20 years of restorations, I've never had a problem. Chalk it up to good luck, which is much cheaper than insurance. Until it's not.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:14 PM, cheekyj2112 said:

Yo Chris

Not wanting to be too political (but let’s face it, what isn’t?!)

But this is someone I wouldn’t be using -

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2021/10/21/garland-man-is-latest-to-be-arrested-for-capitol-riot-after-feds-say-he-fought-with-officers/

Not to get political or to allude to anyone under criminal investigation, but I recently bought these six figure pieces and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on any experts I might be able to go to that might be able to touch them up or make them appear a bit more professionally done?

image.png.f653a235da5180481f1ccce9ba3a3826.png

image.png.820be4eb691117f27e3d56696027d085.png