• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F.F. 12, the ONLY first Marvel X-Over?

28 posts in this topic

All this posting on Fantastic Fours brings up a little question that I had:

In my copy of F.F. 13 (no its not a CGC 9.4, so settle down), there is an "On Sale Now!" ad for the Amazing Spider-Man # 1 and Tales of Suspense # 39, both books that came out with March 1963 as their publication date. This is a bit strange, considering that F.F. 13 had a publication date of April 1963. F.F. 12 (the Hulk crossover, with a March 1963 publication date) has no ads for any other Marvel title at all.

This begs the question: even if Spidey # 1 came out technically before F.F. 13, the fact that it would be on sale at the newstands at the same time as that book leads one to believe that F.F. 12 must have been on the newstands before ASM # 1, and thus, is the real first Marvel X-Over?

Anyone know anything about this? Anyone with some info to share? Anyone think that dried gum is more intriguing then this post? (I vote for the latter)

grin.gif

Jive,

Your analysis seems to be correct. ATTN: Bob Overstreet.

Marvels w/ Feb/63 cover date:

FF 12 vs Hulk, JIM 89, Str Tales 105, TTA 40.

Mar/63 cover date:

ASM 1 w/ FF, FF 13, Hulk 6, JIM 90, Str Tales 106, TTA 41, TOS 39 Iron Man.

Anyone know anything about this? Anyone with some info to share?

This is one reason I LIKE arrival dates on the old books. It would be interesting for folks with either of these issues (if they have arrival dates) to post said arrival dates.

Oh boys, oh boys, you are showing your YOUTH.

Comic books USED to have a 3-MONTH delay time from release date to the cover date. Look at all of your 70s Spideys, for example. Books with cover dates of March came out in December, and had Christmas stories. X-Men 100, cover dated August, 1976, came out in mid-May of that year. X-Men 98, cover dated April, 1976, has a semi-Christmas story and came out in December!

So FF 1, with a cover sale date of November, and a bi-monthly, could have very easily arrived the last Friday in July in 1961.

yes teacher we know all about arrival dates confused.gifsmile.gif

I cant speak for pov, but its the 4 month spread that led us to that conclusion. The cover date were always 2-3 months ahead so the comics would never look OLD on the newstands and so the store owner knew when to return the comics. (See? Tolja I knew the score..)

FOUR months was one louder and looked funny. But youre right, last week in July and first week in November is really only 3 months. And FF wasnt monthly right away so it could have been dated a little earlier than others.

---later not earlier in this case...

Collecting comics has been in my family a long time. My dad collected comics and I've been a collector all my life. Dad had a lot of golden age and I picked up on the comics during the start of the silver age. Most everyone knows I'm into comics. Not ashamed of it. I'm probably one of the oldest collectors on these boards. Not saying I am the oldest, just one of the oldest. But I'll bet I'm one of the few that still has his original bought comics. Even have my dads old books. Now who can say that? Lets save it for another thread.

Back to subject... FF#12 was out before ASM#1 most definetly.

yeah...tell me about it. I do remember my mommy was very proud of me, though, for a change....for a while, that is. But, as witl ALL our old comics, they were in shoddy shape anyway, like the Mickey Mantle cards we used as noisemakers in the spokes of our bikes....