• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE PART 2 from Legendary Pictures (11/17/23)
6 6

327 posts in this topic

Years ago, filmmaker Denis Villeneuve had agreed to adapt “Dune,” Frank Herbert’s seminal sci-fi novel, under one condition: the sweeping saga about warring political dynasties that clash over access to a vital planet could not be confined to only one movie.

“The story is so rich and complex that, in order to be faithful to the book, we’ll need to make at least two movies,” Villeneuve explained in 2020. “That was a deal right at the start.”

Days before the first installment — starring Timothee Chalamet, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Brolin and Jason Momoa — premiered in theaters and on HBO Max, WarnerMedia executive Ann Sarnoff strongly suggested a follow-up would be imminent. “Will we have a sequel to ‘Dune’? If you watch the movie you see how it ends. I think you pretty much know the answer to that,” she said in a recent interview with Deadline.

So why hasn’t “Dune: Part II” officially been announced?

In short, it’s not really Warner Bros.’ decision to make, though the studio could opt not to distribute the film. However, that move seem unlikely given the positive reception to “Dune” and the media company leadership’s evident enthusiasm for all things Atreides.

Legendary Pictures, the company that co-financed “Dune” in addition to producing and developing the interplanetary adventure, owns cinematic rights to the property and therefore determines whether or not a follow-up film will take place.

Oftentimes after a movie opens to No. 1 at the box office, Hollywood players would capitalize on positive headlines by fast-tracking a sequel. Case in point: mere minutes after “Wonder Woman 1984” set a then-pandemic box office record with $16.9 million in North America, Warner Bros. announced plans for a third installment with star Gal Gadot and director Patty Jenkins.

It’s also likely that “Dune: Part II” filmmakers will demand and receive an industry-standard theatrical window, in which it would play exclusively in theaters for at least 45 days, as a requirement for any distribution pact.

Legendary, which forged a distribution deal with Warner Bros. in 2018, was similarly dismayed by the HBO Max decision and threatened to take legal action at the time. The two companies have since hashed out frustrations and settled on a release strategy that satisfied both parties, one that involved paying Legendary the amount it would have received had the movie shattered box office records. 

Supposedly the holdup are those last two items about payout and Legendary gets a clear commitment from WarnerMedia of a standard theatrical window.

Edited by Bosco685
officially confirmed

NOW OFFICIAL

‘Dune 2’ a Go From Legendary, Warner Bros.

Denis Villeneuve is officially returning to Arakis. The filmmaker’s dream of completing his two-part Dune series is becoming a reality, with Legendary and Warner Bros. on Tuesday announcing they are moving ahead with a sequel that will hit theaters Oct. 20, 2023.

The first Dune opened in cinemas and hit HBO Max simultaneously on Oct. 22. It earned a strong $40.1 million in its domestic debut, the biggest of Villeneuve’s career as well as the biggest opening of the year for Warner Bros., which sent its entire 2021 slate day-and-date to streaming. Whether or not to make a sequel was Legendary’s call.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:16 AM, The Brain said:

Just getting back from seeing this movie in IMAX.

WOW  !!

This movie was everything I had hoped for going in.  

I give it an 8 out of 10.

I read the book far back in, 1974, years before

most here were even born. This movie was able to 

capture the wonder of a desert planet, without it being

boring. I will be in line at an IMAX for part 2.

I agree, I give it a Larry David pretty, pretty, pretty good.