• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Lurkers! Yes you! Why don’t you post more?
15 15

972 posts in this topic

I was having a discussion in the moderation thread to increase the participation on the boards of more boardies

one thing I’ve heard especially about Comics General is that many threads are dominated by the same group of people or the same types of posts 

but what do the rest of you say? I would love to hear more opinions and insight from those of you who don’t post as much as the “top posters”

i need to shut up more and listen 

So why don’t you post more?

On 10/25/2021 at 10:41 PM, thirdgreenham said:

:hi: 

Hi are you a long time lurker first time poster to Comics General?

tell me your dreams or your nightmares- I’ll try my best to make them come true 

On 10/25/2021 at 8:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

one thing I’ve heard especially about Comics General is that many threads are dominated by the same group of people or the same types of posts 

who have you heard this from?

On 10/25/2021 at 10:11 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

monty-python-police.gif.716250ed061f4d1a1831941e0262b448.gif

One thing i've heard is people like your posts and want more of them.

Also the possibility that some boardies post on many other message boards besides just CGC, and so, along with these other sources, only need a few posts here and there to get a satisfactory cumulative dopamine hit and enough validation for the day.

Edited by Ken Aldred

At any time there might only be one or two threads that I have any interest in or connect to.  Easy then to see that there might be nothing on offer to interest some boardies enough to post at all, and they end up just passively observing.  Or, many threads repeat older ones on the same subject, and boardies might not want to post the same point, over and over.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/26/2021 at 12:57 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Because I have 2 cats.

Understandable. That would prevent you having easy access to your keyboard. Try putting a large bowl nearby, and they should prefer to curl up inside that.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:55 AM, thesink said:

I can tell you why I "lurk" without posting. Every thread turns into inside or private jokes. To post something you either have to be in before the rest of the group or risk "derailing" their conversation. This is what happens to forums when they've been around a long time and there is probably nothing you can do. 

This and if someone responds to a senior boardie that they don't know, they get ignored, or they feel like they posted the wrong response.

"I don't know you, ignored!"