• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Lurkers! Yes you! Why don’t you post more?
15 15

972 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2021 at 7:55 AM, thesink said:

I can tell you why I "lurk" without posting. Every thread turns into inside or private jokes. To post something you either have to be in before the rest of the group or risk "derailing" their conversation. This is what happens to forums when they've been around a long time and there is probably nothing you can do. 

thank you for sharing this. I had made this point, and I also apologized that I have contributed to that. It's not a good way to get others involved and I see now how that is a turn off.

I hope you continue to enjoy these boards, and have more opportunities to post.

:foryou:

On 10/26/2021 at 9:07 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

This and if someone responds to a senior boardie that they don't know, they get ignored, or they feel like they posted the wrong response.

"I don't know you, ignored!"

this is very true. I remember when I first joined, I asked a question that was quickly slammed by a senior member and another senior member stepped in and pointed out, "he's new here, give him a break".

We need more of that. I'll do my best to step in.

Far too long I've been the one slamming and I need to do better.

Thank you for bringing this up.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:06 AM, mec3437 said:

The CG section, while containing some good topics, seems to devolve more into "That's what she said" bullcrap after the first page or two of posts.  

thank you for sharing. I agree as stated earlier, I see how those types of comments can be a turn off. We should be more inclusive and not derail topics for the amusement of some.

I'll share you thoughts with others.

:foryou:

On 10/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, F For Fake said:

I have really missed the boards. For years this was my #1 time killer at work. Then covid hit, and we were working from home for a year, which ironically lead to less screen time, rather than more (translation: I didn't have much to do!)

We came back to the office in March, but I was pained to find that the firewalls were suddenly blocking the boards. In the nearly 20 years I've been here, this has happened a couple of times. I'm assuming due to changes behind the scenes, either on CGC's side, or on our firewalls. At any rate, I wasn't able to spend my days on here, and by the time I get home at night, I don't really want to look at a computer anymore. So my posting was pretty much limited to occasional weekend bursts, if I thought I had something cool to share.

Anyway, just now, lo and behold, I was checking the Census, and accidentally clicked on the "Chat" link, and BOOM, I can access the boards again!

Hallelujah!

How long will it last? I have no idea. But I'm happy to see your smilin' avatars again. Now I have several months worth of carp to catch up on. If anyone wants to give me a Cliff's Notes on anything I may have missed since spring, I'd gladly take it!

Nice to see you back.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:47 AM, F For Fake said:

I have really missed the boards. For years this was my #1 time killer at work. Then covid hit, and we were working from home for a year, which ironically lead to less screen time, rather than more (translation: I didn't have much to do!)

We came back to the office in March, but I was pained to find that the firewalls were suddenly blocking the boards. In the nearly 20 years I've been here, this has happened a couple of times. I'm assuming due to changes behind the scenes, either on CGC's side, or on our firewalls. At any rate, I wasn't able to spend my days on here, and by the time I get home at night, I don't really want to look at a computer anymore. So my posting was pretty much limited to occasional weekend bursts, if I thought I had something cool to share.

Anyway, just no, lo and behold, I was checking the Census, and accidentally clicked on the "Chat" link, and BOOM, I can access the boards again!

Hallelujah!

How long will it last? I have no idea. But I'm happy to see your smilin' avatars again. Now I have several months worth of carp to catch up on. If anyone wants to give me a Cliff's Notes on anything I may have missed since spring, I'd gladly take it!

Just don't tell anyone at work that the Boards link changed to boards.cgccomics.com recently :whistle: 

On 10/26/2021 at 12:50 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Just don't tell anyone at work that the Boards link changed to boards.cgccomics.com recently :whistle: 

Mum is the word! 

On 10/26/2021 at 9:45 AM, Ken Aldred said:

A great saying, which works well in conjunction with ‘if ever I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don’t know’. 

Does a tree make a sound if it falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it? hm