• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello Lurkers! Yes you! Why don’t you post more?
15 15

972 posts in this topic

On 10/26/2021 at 12:54 PM, jas1vans said:

(Also, a level of tech savvy that is bested by most 6 year olds makes sharing pics of books a daunting task: take pic, email pic to self, download pic to computer, upload pic to forums. I know there's probably a better way.)

lol  I know what you mean about kids being more tech savy.

As far as pic uploads, if you're signed into the boards via your smartphone, photo uploads are a cinch.  You can access your photos on your phone and upload them.  It's easier to type on a laptop (for me).  But, whenever I want to post a pic, I switch over to my phone and do it from there.  

When you're posting a response, just click the "add files".  Should get a prompt for:  Photo Library / Take a Photo or Video / Other.   Just click the option you want and you can select the photo/file you want.  Hit add and it will upload.  Hit submit and your pic will post.  

On 10/26/2021 at 11:54 AM, jas1vans said:

I agree with the sentiment that everything turns into an inside joke but during some of those back and fourths there is still a lot of good information being shared.

My main reason for not posting a lot is that I just don't have a level of knowledge that would add much substance to any comic related discussion. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the collection I've put together thus far. I like reading and learning more than talking/typing. I'll start trying to contribute more than a few pics and likes going forward.

(Also, a level of tech savvy that is bested by most 6 year olds makes sharing pics of books a daunting task: take pic, email pic to self, download pic to computer, upload pic to forums. I know there's probably a better way.)

With boards software via 2016 you can take a pic with your phone, which is automatically a usable file. Rather than email. When you post there is a button called "add files', click it. If you just took the pic, then go to recent files and choose the pic for upload

On 10/26/2021 at 11:47 AM, F For Fake said:

I have really missed the boards. For years this was my #1 time killer at work. Then covid hit, and we were working from home for a year, which ironically lead to less screen time, rather than more (translation: I didn't have much to do!)

We came back to the office in March, but I was pained to find that the firewalls were suddenly blocking the boards. In the nearly 20 years I've been here, this has happened a couple of times. I'm assuming due to changes behind the scenes, either on CGC's side, or on our firewalls. At any rate, I wasn't able to spend my days on here, and by the time I get home at night, I don't really want to look at a computer anymore. So my posting was pretty much limited to occasional weekend bursts, if I thought I had something cool to share.

Anyway, just now, lo and behold, I was checking the Census, and accidentally clicked on the "Chat" link, and BOOM, I can access the boards again!

Hallelujah!

How long will it last? I have no idea. But I'm happy to see your smilin' avatars again. Now I have several months worth of carp to catch up on. If anyone wants to give me a Cliff's Notes on anything I may have missed since spring, I'd gladly take it!

I was thinking about where you had been and saw some recent posts

good to see you here. The boards are better with you around 

On 10/26/2021 at 1:53 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I was thinking about where you had been and saw some recent posts

good to see you here. The boards are better with you around 

Aw thanks bud, much appreciated. I think of you whenever I look at my Mr T comic and Grendel sketch, which is often!

On 10/26/2021 at 11:54 AM, jas1vans said:

I'm a former teacher and current substitute teacher. Whenever I need help with my phone, I hand it to a student and say, "Can you show me how this is done?"

On 10/26/2021 at 12:54 PM, jas1vans said:

I agree with the sentiment that everything turns into an inside joke but during some of those back and fourths there is still a lot of good information being shared.

My main reason for not posting a lot is that I just don't have a level of knowledge that would add much substance to any comic related discussion. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the collection I've put together thus far. I like reading and learning more than talking/typing. I'll start trying to contribute more than a few pics and likes going forward.

I could see this... I check the Gold section every day but barely post there.  I like to read and learn.   To a degree, it is the same in comic art. 

On 10/26/2021 at 12:10 PM, Math Teacher said:

I'm a former teacher and current substitute teacher. Whenever I need help with my phone, I hand it to a student and say, "Can you show me how this is done?"

me too and yep.

Casual chatting (even online) is not one of my gifts. Mostly I post if I feel I can add something substantive to the narrative. 

That being said, I truly enjoy the boards and threads and appreciate all of you. I am constantly learning even though I've been collecting for quite a while now. Just yesterday I read something in one of the long ongoing posts that surprised me quite a bit. I'm still investigating that tidbit, but the information may affect a run that I have been working on for some time. Never too old, so they say. 

Thanks to you all!

I had a 5+ year hiatus that all I posted was the modern books I was picking up weekly. Mostly due to life and other responsibilities. I've been back giving bad advice and snarky responses for almost two years now.  :acclaim:I still have times where other priorities will keep me from having time to formulate a coherent reply to a topic so I fall back into lurker mode.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:48 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

:golfclap: Some CGC credit would be well deserved ^^

Thank you so much.  It's been tough keeping my rigid posting schedule, there were times I didn't think that I could go on.  

If anyone wants to check their "post to days" ratio, here's a day to day calculator.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiZmsy58-jzAhWKAp0JHe06BtEQFnoECAEQAg&usg=AOvVaw2n4qikr1PuatzwJYCTdUrG

On 10/26/2021 at 2:57 PM, jerosity said:

Well me mum and da' were lurkers and I just assumed I would be a lurker...hehe btw how to do giphys?

Sorry, all...this boardie is my fault.  I gave them a proper noob welcome, now they won't go away. :roflmao:

:foryou: