• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Comics Present 326 CGC 9.6 or 9.8

9 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I know that the difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 can be minimal and subjective. But I wanted to get your thoughts on this DC Comics Presents #26. It came back a 9.6, but for the life of me I can't see anything obvious as why it wasn't a 9.8. Not saying it is, I just can't see anything obvious to be a 9.6 vs. 9.8. Thanks in advance!

IMG_6340.jpg

IMG_6342.jpg

IMG_6343.jpg

IMG_6344.jpg

IMG_6345.jpg

IMG_6346.jpg

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6347.jpg

IMG_6348.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6351.jpg

Sorry. I'm in the camp that it's pretty near impossible  to tell the diff between a 9.6 and 9.8 from pictures.

Tiny defects and subtle manufacturing  errors,  which 9.8s can have,  are hard to see on pics unless poss ur a pro photographer that can eliminate shadows and reflections etc

Pics sadly don't show everything, especially ripples. However based on your pics I've seen what to my eyes are many worse looking 9.8's than your 9.6 

A 9.8 on technical merit does not always look nicer to me than strong 9.6. It's why "buy the book, not the slab" applies for me at every con I attend.

BTW what I've seen the past few years is CGC is very strict on anything that represents color loss, but yet lenient on things I find  worse like ticks/ hits on the spine or blunted corners.

The pictures are too small to tell for sure, but it looks like you have a small bump on the bottom spine corner with slight color break about 1/16 of an inch up from the bottom, plus a rounded upper right front cover corner and perhaps some rounding on the upper left back cover corner.  The pictures are way too small to see if you have any spine tics.  

If the book has more than two or perhaps three negligible (i.e., nearly invisible) defects, it isn't going to get a 9.8.  

Edited by FFB
misspelled the word "too"

Could well be something on the inside which cannot be seen now. Gripper tears typically at the bottom of some pages maybe, perhaps just getting too near the very edge of the page? Who knows but the difference is like the difference between male and female jelly babies.