• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tales to astonish 13 and Tales of suspense 12 at the same time ...
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Looks like I post this in the wrong forum so here it is again ( I couldn't find how to move a topic from a forum ).

Here is something for the expert .

I brought on ebay in the early 2000 a tales of astonish 13  when I got it I realized something was wrong the book inside was in fact the tales of suspense 12,  I live in Japan so the cost to sending back the book and all the drama associated to get something in exchange was more than the value of that book (at the time)  plus it displayed great and I could get one in the future (of course never did) I stopped to collect  comics around 2007 after the big earthquake in 2011 I moved all my comics in a more safe place  and kind of forgot about them until this summer when I decided  to check them  back (thanks to the lockdown) and buy the few stuff I missed I found that the movies made everything expensive good surprises and bad for the ones I didn't  buy.

I was about to feeling rich when I remember the "problem" ... still after a closer inspection (I think it was trimmed to look better)  I couldn't find  that the cover didn't fit with the comics inside and maybe it was a mistake from the start ?, wrong cover mistake made  at the printer?  since the tales of suspense 12 and Tales of astonish 13 were published the same month so probably printed at the same time ?

I can't find a reason to put the cover on that particular comics and do so much a good job to align the staples  and staples holes for the cover and the comics  seems a bit overkill and a lot of work I probably paid less than a hundred bucks for it  I couldn't trace back the seller but from my ebay feedback .

I really curious to find out it was an elaborate scam  or a real mistake and if it's a real thing ,it is something I should send to CGC ? or just display it raw.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image0 - Copie (2).jpg

image0 - Copie (3).jpeg

IMG_0861.jpg

image4.jpeg

image0 - Copie.jpeg

image1 - Copie (2).jpeg

Very interesting...  

On books like this, I like to try and match up the cover with the interior. For example, are there any stains on the cover that extend into the interior? Do they match up perfectly? How about creasing or other wear? Does the wear on the cover look natural or has it been manipulated to look older? 

Then I ask myself why someone would go through all the trouble to match a valuable cover with a not so valuable interior. It doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?  (shrug)

Edited by The Lions Den

On 10/27/2021 at 4:09 AM, grendelbo said:

Well if this could happen...

46d3a65e218b9eeb9ef3eda29649fd74.thumb.jpg.64868be8280cd01882b9a781f93d9195.jpg

Ok I guess I am not that crazy to think it could be a production mistake ,this book is on different level how many books did they make before noticing it ? and is there the mirror Two in One with the TeenTitans inside  ? that's a new collection niche for those who have everything and are bored .

On 10/27/2021 at 4:04 AM, The Lions Den said:

Very interesting...  

On books like this, I like to try and match up the cover with the interior. For example, are there any stains on the cover that extend into the interior? Do they match up perfectly? How about creasing or other wear? Does the wear on the cover look natural or has it been manipulated to look older? 

Then I ask myself why someone would go through all the trouble to match a valuable cover with a not so valuable interior. It doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?  (shrug)

if it was done after production it was already a long time ago there is some wear on the bottom that are present on the cover and the interior plus everything looks right ,the staples no extra holes but I am no expert that why I am here .

I brought the book years ago (early 2000) so it wasn't that valuable so maybe some guy with far too much time on his hands could have done it now  it's a different value and to speak the truth that 's why I am curious about it .

I think that this appears to be production. You would want to get close up on the staples and spine and look along the interior spine. If it was some sort of frankenbook that people created, you would see original staple holes or some other holes on the cover. Same at the centrefold. The liklihood of lining up staples from the cover on a book to another is extremely hard to do, especially on two different issues.

A neat error for sure!

On 10/27/2021 at 12:38 AM, bullmark said:

if it was done after production it was already a long time ago there is some wear on the bottom that are present on the cover and the interior plus everything looks right ,the staples no extra holes but I am no expert that why I am here .

I brought the book years ago (early 2000) so it wasn't that valuable so maybe some guy with far too much time on his hands could have done it now  it's a different value and to speak the truth that 's why I am curious about it .

One thing is for sure---this is an interesting book. I'd send it to CGC to get a definitive answer...

On 10/26/2021 at 5:19 PM, bullmark said:

Looks like I post this in the wrong forum so here it is again ( I couldn't find how to move a topic from a forum ).

Here is something for the expert .

I brought on ebay in the early 2000 a tales of astonish 13  when I got it I realized something was wrong the book inside was in fact the tales of suspense 12,  I live in Japan so the cost to sending back the book and all the drama associated to get something in exchange was more than the value of that book (at the time)  plus it displayed great and I could get one in the future (of course never did) I stopped to collect  comics around 2007 after the big earthquake in 2011 I moved all my comics in a more safe place  and kind of forgot about them until this summer when I decided  to check them  back (thanks to the lockdown) and buy the few stuff I missed I found that the movies made everything expensive good surprises and bad for the ones I didn't  buy.

I was about to feeling rich when I remember the "problem" ... still after a closer inspection (I think it was trimmed to look better)  I couldn't find  that the cover didn't fit with the comics inside and maybe it was a mistake from the start ?, wrong cover mistake made  at the printer?  since the tales of suspense 12 and Tales of astonish 13 were published the same month so probably printed at the same time ?

I can't find a reason to put the cover on that particular comics and do so much a good job to align the staples  and staples holes for the cover and the comics  seems a bit overkill and a lot of work I probably paid less than a hundred bucks for it  I couldn't trace back the seller but from my ebay feedback .

I really curious to find out it was an elaborate scam  or a real mistake and if it's a real thing ,it is something I should send to CGC ? or just display it raw.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image0 - Copie (2).jpg

image0 - Copie (3).jpeg

IMG_0861.jpg

Submit it. Aside from the apparent trim on the right edge, the entire vibe of the book is off, including the one chronologically atypical staple. A pre-superhero Marvel collector for decades, I've seen quite a few of these, and this one stands out to me as having unique characteristics that I have not seen before (print-wise). Also, the unusual wear on the bottom edge and spine corner looks more intentional than incidental or accidental. I'd send this in. All TTA 13s are worthwhile submissions anyway for whatever reason, and if this pulls even as little as a 4.5/5.0 blue or purple label, you'll be glad you did. 

On 10/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, James J Johnson said:

Submit it. Aside from the apparent trim on the right edge, the entire vibe of the book is off, including the one chronologically atypical staple. A pre-superhero Marvel collector for decades, I've seen quite a few of these, and this one stands out to me as having unique characteristics that I have not seen before (print-wise). Also, the unusual wear on the bottom edge and spine corner looks more intentional than incidental or accidental. I'd send this in. All TTA 13s are worthwhile submissions anyway for whatever reason, and if this pulls even as little as a 4.5/5.0 blue or purple label, you'll be glad you did. 

(thumbsu

On 10/27/2021 at 2:25 PM, Grottu said:

The only thing that even looks potentially suspicious to me is the stress marks around the staples, though it’s hardly definitive and, assuming someone did remove and reinsert them, it was done pretty darn well. Very weird.

On 10/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, James J Johnson said:

I used a traditional eco-friendly pressing method that consisted of stacking the books vertically in box  for a decade  ,they all looks clean a sharp thanks to mother earth's gravity  (if you beleve such thing) that's why that book looks weird ?

Like I said before I brought that books in the early 2000 paid less than a hundred bucks for it for sure ,I can't see why someone spend so much time to do a such a stupid thing mixing interior and faking wears but I maybe underestimate people.

Edited by bullmark

On 10/27/2021 at 9:27 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I think that this appears to be production. You would want to get close up on the staples and spine and look along the interior spine. If it was some sort of frankenbook that people created, you would see original staple holes or some other holes on the cover. Same at the centrefold. The liklihood of lining up staples from the cover on a book to another is extremely hard to do, especially on two different issues.

A neat error for sure!

Especially for books of this era. I mean, seriously, you're lucky if two copies of the same issue are the same size, and I don't mean trimming. Barring something not obvious from the photos, I assume this is a production cover swap. They're rare, but they do happen, and it's not like the overall QC on books of this period was good.

Fun book.