• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First appearance page?

7 posts in this topic

So, I recently purchased a page from a new series that was just released.  I bought the page as a first appearance page, not being able to read the book since it wasn’t out yet.  Well, it finally comes out and I’m reading and the character is shown (not the page I bought) through about 5-6 pages.  This is a flashback of them in their teens.  Finally my page shows up and it’s the first time you see them as an adult.  So, wouldn’t the youth page be the first appearance?  He was actually formally introduced in those pages as a teen.  I have always assumed the first appearance is the first appearance?  Any thoughts on this?  I paid a premium price on the notion it was a first appearance and now I’m not so sure. 🤷🏻‍♂️  Thanks!

**edit** I will also add that there are only two traditional pages for this issue, mine being the only one with said character.  The rest of the issue was done digitally.

Edited by aka_RAMSES
Added context

On 10/27/2021 at 12:39 AM, aka_RAMSES said:

So, I recently purchased a page from a new series that was just released.  I bought the page as a first appearance page, not being able to read the book since it wasn’t out yet.  Well, it finally comes out and I’m reading and the character is shown (not the page I bought) through about 5-6 pages.  This is a flashback of them in their teens.  Finally my page shows up and it’s the first time you see them as an adult.  So, wouldn’t the youth page be the first appearance?  He was actually formally introduced in those pages as a teen.  I have always assumed the first appearance is the first appearance?  Any thoughts on this?  I paid a premium price on the notion it was a first appearance and now I’m not so sure. 🤷🏻‍♂️  Thanks!

**edit** I will also add that there are only two traditional pages for this issue, mine being the only one with said character.  The rest of the issue was done digitally.

If yours is the only actual OA from the first issue with the character, that should be a good enough distinction, but save your notes— who knows what will tickle someone later?
By the way, lots of new characters show up in lots of books. They all don’t become the next Wolverine.

On 10/27/2021 at 6:03 AM, Rick2you2 said:

If yours is the only actual OA from the first issue with the character, that should be a good enough distinction, but save your notes— who knows what will tickle someone later?
By the way, lots of new characters show up in lots of books. They all don’t become the next Wolverine.

I did talk to the rep and the artist is calling it the first full appearance of said character.  It is a splash page if that means anything.  I was just confused when the character showed up (via flashback as a teen).  I kinda felt like it muddied the waters as far as a first appearance.  I also realize this character will never be Spidey or Wolverine, I just wanted to make sure I got what was described.  It is, to my knowledge, the only first appearance traditional art with any character from this universe.  Thanks for the comment.

Edited by aka_RAMSES
punctuation

IMO "first appearance" is overhyped. Sounds like you got a first appearance* (in issue* as an adult)

There are first appearance issues and the actual first appearance page, but if the character's on the cover then that's the first appearance and there's a separate first appearance in issue.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:08 AM, Twanj said:

IMO "first appearance" is overhyped. Sounds like you got a first appearance* (in issue* as an adult)

There are first appearance issues and the actual first appearance page, but if the character's on the cover then that's the first appearance and there's a separate first appearance in issue.

The character is not on the cover, this is their first appearance in the comics.  It just happened in a flashback and then back to present day with my splash page being the present “first full appearance”. So confusing, first should be first, lol.  

I’ve seen many use the distinction “birth page” for the very first page the character appears vs “first appearance page” which is a page from the book where the character first appears 

yours sounds to be a definite first appearance page.  Whether it’s the birth page could be debated