• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pixar's LIGHTYEAR starring Chris Evans (2022)
1 1

51 posts in this topic

In a surprise twist, Pixar and Disney’s new movie Lightyear lost Father’s Day weekend to holdover Jurassic World Dominion at the domestic box office.

This is the first time in the pandemic that there’s been three major Hollywood tentpoles doing solid-to-great business (Top Gun: Maverick is the third). As a result, overall domestic revenue hit an estimated $166 million, which is down only 18 percent from 2019 (usually, that gap has been much bigger). However, it isn’t clear whether the box office chart has recovered enough to support so much product.

Lightyear was expected to top the chart with a $70 million to $85 million opening. Instead, the Toy Story spinoff buzzed to a disappointing $51 million from 4,255 theaters. While that’s a solid number for the COVID-19 era — as well as the biggest opening of the pandemic for an animated family film — Lightyear‘s start is nevertheless a disappointment considering it carries the storied Pixar logo.

Just watched it. I thought it was great. 

I knew it wasn’t Toy Story related, so that may have played a part, but it was solid. And, the Zurg reveal was cool. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

While it’s nothing like Star Wars, I could see how this would have been Andy’s Star Wars. The sci-fi adventure genre of the late 70s into the 80s captured the imagination of many kids, but would not likely be considered kid-friendly nowadays.

Besides the examples used in the article Buzz linked to, Ghostbusters is another film, while not really kid friendly (Ghostbusters 2 scared the mess out of me), spawned an awesome cartoon and toyline I absolutely devoured as a child. 

Sox did remind me of R2-D2 a little bit, though.

Edited by awakeintheashes

Saw it today. My son liked it. I was disappointed. I wanted to like it. I thought the concept was great. I did think Buzz was done right, but the supporting characters inspired no interest for me, the plot had potential, but finally didn't work for me, it seemed like the movie went through the motions by the end. I was tempted to say that I was willing to try a sequel, because I did like Buzz, but if he comes with that supporting cast of characters I don't think I could watch it. I felt they tried to do too much, the writing wasn't up to it, so it would be a straight B for me. 

On 6/19/2022 at 8:23 AM, Jaydogrules said:

So we can all finally agree that "pandemic era" in movies is a dead and buried term (ie, excuse) for a movie nobody cares about doing badly.

Now if a film with a built-in fanbase does poorly, it's because of the fans. It used to be, "Is our film good enough for you to like?"

Now it's, "Are you good enough to like our film?"

Saw it today with my two boys (13 and 9 so the target audience).  My boys liked it and asked if we could own it when it came out on blu ray.  I did not like it, I was very hyped when the first trailer/teaser dropped.  I wanted to like it, but it was so uninteresting to me I actually fell asleep for about 15 mins during the middle of the movie.  My two kids would give it a solid "A", I'd give it a "C" at best.

In sixth place, “Lightyear” declined a sizable 64%, bringing in just $6.6 million from 3,800 theaters over the weekend. The film looks to finish Monday with $8.1 million. “Lightyear” crossed the $100 million mark in its third weekend in theaters, which is a threshold that most Pixar releases reach in the first few days of release. Based on three-day estimates, “Lightyear” has generated $105.4 million in North America and $187 million globally.

On 7/4/2022 at 8:58 AM, media_junkie said:

Wow, you know people at Disney/Pixar have got to be catching all kinds of heck for this disaster of a movie.  I mean it is freaking Buzz Lightyear and they screwed it up so bad.

I thought the same thing about Black Widow. 

black-widow.gif.deb29b27e56cd6a89283ee884b077b7d.gif

Disney always finds a way.

Edited by D84

On 7/4/2022 at 6:58 AM, media_junkie said:

Wow, you know people at Disney/Pixar have got to be catching all kinds of heck for this disaster of a movie.  I mean it is freaking Buzz Lightyear and they screwed it up so bad.

Yeah but it's not "Woody's Buzz Lightyear", it's a different Buzz Lightyear... more like Jake Lightyear! 

:Rocket: