• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pixar's LIGHTYEAR starring Chris Evans (2022)
1 1

51 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2022 at 8:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

Disney logic: "Chris Evans was part of a multi-billions franchise. Cast him and it will be like printing money!"

I could agree with Hanks if it was not for one thing.  It's really not meant to be the Buzz Lightyear 'toy'.  If the animation style was the same I would be 100% behind what they are saying about casting Allen.  The animation style is also meant to further distinguish Buzz Lightyear the toy versus Buzz Lightyear the character. The producers went all in with their effort to distinguish the two. 

The more valid question arises though whether such a move should be made in the first place.   This movie probably does nothing but harm the overall IP.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, manetteska said:

(shrug)

im sure it's in reference to the gay parents the girl has. there was a scene originally cut out regarding a kiss, then added after pressure from the lgbqt community.

from a fortune article

Although the company has depicted same-sex relationships in its films in the past, Disney has not always proved itself to be strongly allied with LGBTQ+ employees and fans. Executives at the company allegedly cut Lightyear’s same-sex kiss scene at first, only to add it back following backlash in March, according to reporting from Variety.

In a letter to Disney CEO Bob Chapek that month, employees at Pixar, the Disney-owned animation studio behind Lightyear and Toy Story, wrote that they’ve observed a pattern of LGBTQ+ scenes being cut by company leadership.  

“Nearly every moment of overtly gay affection is cut at Disney’s behest, regardless of when there is protest from both the creative teams and executive leadership at Pixar,” their letter read. “We at Pixar have personally witnessed beautiful stories, full of diverse characters, come back from Disney corporate reviews shaved down to crumbs of what they once were.”

On 7/12/2022 at 12:31 PM, jsilverjanet said:

im sure it's in reference to the gay parents the girl has. there was a scene originally cut out regarding a kiss, then added after pressure from the lgbqt community.

from a fortune article

Although the company has depicted same-sex relationships in its films in the past, Disney has not always proved itself to be strongly allied with LGBTQ+ employees and fans. Executives at the company allegedly cut Lightyear’s same-sex kiss scene at first, only to add it back following backlash in March, according to reporting from Variety.

In a letter to Disney CEO Bob Chapek that month, employees at Pixar, the Disney-owned animation studio behind Lightyear and Toy Story, wrote that they’ve observed a pattern of LGBTQ+ scenes being cut by company leadership.  

“Nearly every moment of overtly gay affection is cut at Disney’s behest, regardless of when there is protest from both the creative teams and executive leadership at Pixar,” their letter read. “We at Pixar have personally witnessed beautiful stories, full of diverse characters, come back from Disney corporate reviews shaved down to crumbs of what they once were.”

Lets be honest though, it most likely did have some impact. Maybe not responsible for the full failure but it didn’t help. How many countries banned it? 14+? Thats has to be a bit of lost revenue.

I think they could have still used Tim. In the Star Wars cartoons and toys, don’t they still try to make him sound like James? It would be the same concept. Toy Buzz is supposed to sound like movie Buzz.

On 7/12/2022 at 11:31 AM, jsilverjanet said:
On 7/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, manetteska said:

(shrug)

from a fortune article

I understand the reference, just wanted more input from the original poster. He has a lot of interesting opinions and wanted to dig into this one a bit more.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:09 PM, CAHokie said:

Lets be honest though, it most likely did have some impact. Maybe not responsible for the full failure but it didn’t help. How many countries banned it? 14+? Thats has to be a bit of lost revenue.

I think they could have still used Tim. In the Star Wars cartoons and toys, don’t they still try to make him sound like James? It would be the same concept. Toy Buzz is supposed to sound like movie Buzz.

i wasn't commenting on the financial aspect of the movie, just giving the reason why the words used and highlighted for clarity

i also think it's silly that 14 countries banned a movie for a kiss (shrug)

On 7/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Love Disney. So powerful and yet so spineless. Stick to your guns instead of caving. They added it originally and then thought, wait.. $$, axe that scene! Followed by outrage and folding. I would love to see this statement from Disney:  “We are not against.. uh, that sort of thing, but we love money so we cut it out. Sorry?”

I would totally respect that.