• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A super find!
6 6

156 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2021 at 8:58 PM, aszumilo said:

Not seeing a 9+ there.  Foxing, spine ticks, something going on the upper right corner, spine roll.  Looks closer to a 6.5, to me.

YesI hate to burst a new guy's bubble but this is a 5.5 in my opinion.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, Joe Peck said:

I'm not getting rich or anything of that nature, but I pulled out a box of comics that I've been keeping for more than 40 years, and I was disappointed to realize that the majority of my holdings are 7 and below, BUT just now I found a Captain Marvel 154 which is a "Key" AND it MIGHT make a 9+.  I'm tickled pink!!!  Definitely will send this in to CGC in my second round, and no intention of selling. but I''m just happy to have something decent in my collection.  It does have spine roll, but I know a good press and clean will solve that!

CaptainMarvel.154.jpg

Awesome book, love the story behind it, holding on to them for 40 years means you still had the love for them and couldn’t let them go.

It should do well with a C&P if you have the sentimental value (thumbsu

On 10/27/2021 at 10:52 PM, Joe Peck said:

I'm not getting rich or anything of that nature, but I pulled out a box of comics that I've been keeping for more than 40 years, and I was disappointed to realize that the majority of my holdings are 7 and below, BUT just now I found a Captain Marvel 154 which is a "Key" AND it MIGHT make a 9+.  I'm tickled pink!!!  Definitely will send this in to CGC in my second round, and no intention of selling. but I''m just happy to have something decent in my collection.  It does have spine roll, but I know a good press and clean will solve that!

CaptainMarvel.154.jpg

Not a chance in Hel that this is 9.0+, unless you bribe PGX.

Take the book to a convention and trade it and $25 for a nicer copy. Almost any dealer would make the trade and you wouln't have to wait six months  and spend $80 to end up very disappointed.

I understand you are new to this, but if you think this book is a 9,  post some books you think are 7s, or even 6s.

Edited by shadroch

On 10/27/2021 at 10:52 PM, Joe Peck said:

I'm not getting rich or anything of that nature, but I pulled out a box of comics that I've been keeping for more than 40 years, and I was disappointed to realize that the majority of my holdings are 7 and below, BUT just now I found a Captain America 154 which is a "Key" AND it MIGHT make a 9+.  I'm tickled pink!!!  Definitely will send this in to CGC in my second round, and no intention of selling. but I''m just happy to have something decent in my collection.  It does have spine roll, but I know a good press and clean will solve that!

CaptainMarvel.154.jpg

Not a 9.0 

Can a press and clean improve? Yes. Also...how is this a key book? It seems nicer looking copies are only selling online for around $25-35. I would not waste money grading personally. 

It is the first Marvel Age appearence of the Captain America of the the 1950s.   It might be the first Jack Monroe, as well.

After Steve Rogers was "killed" at the end of WW2, a new Captain America briefly appeared in the early 1950s.  This arc explained how that was possible. It is a semi-key issue of Captain America. 

Edited by shadroch

On 10/28/2021 at 9:56 AM, shadroch said:

Take the book to a convention and trade it and $25 for a nicer copy. Almost any dealer would make the trade and you wouln't have to wait six months  and spend $80 to end up very disappointed.

I understand you are new to this, but if you think this book is a 9,  post some books you think are 7s, or even 6s.

In the two weeks since pulling my box down I have bought about 40 comics online from MyComicShop and Ebay.  Some CGC, most raw and all in the range of 7.0 and up.  Using those graded copies to support my understanding of grading as well as the Overstreet Book I can tell you for 100% certain this copy is a 7.5 at a minimum after a clean and press.  A 7.5  is allowed up to 8 flaws including minor foxing, a cover with yellowing or tanning.  There are total of 3 spine ticks none of which break color and all of which may likely be removed by pressing.  The foxing on the edge is so slight as to be almost imperceptible, but is increased by the lighting and the photo.  As to buying a new copy that does not account for sentimental value.  I bought these comics with hard earned paper route money at a time when my family was extremely poor, and so there is no question in my mind I will keep THIS book.  I didn't buy the comics in my collection and put them away for 40 years just to make a dime.   I may well be proven wrong, but we will see in a few months if my estimation was right or not. (thumbsu

On 10/28/2021 at 9:19 AM, Joe Peck said:

In the two weeks since pulling my box down I have bought about 40 comics online from MyComicShop and Ebay.  Some CGC, most raw and all in the range of 7.0 and up.  Using those graded copies to support my understanding of grading as well as the Overstreet Book I can tell you for 100% certain this copy is a 7.5 at a minimum after a clean and press.  A 7.5  is allowed up to 8 flaws including minor foxing, a cover with yellowing or tanning.  There are total of 3 spine ticks none of which break color and all of which may likely be removed by pressing.  The foxing on the edge is so slight as to be almost imperceptible, but is increased by the lighting and the photo.  As to buying a new copy that does not account for sentimental value.  I bought these comics with hard earned paper route money at a time when my family was extremely poor, and so there is no question in my mind I will keep THIS book.  I didn't buy the comics in my collection and put them away for 40 years just to make a dime.   I may well be proven wrong, but we will see in a few months if my estimation was right or not. (thumbsu

If you clean and press this, then slab it, you'll have $100 invested in it. You can buy a 7.5 for half of that and still have your original copy. 

I dont understand your game plan here.  

On 10/28/2021 at 11:19 AM, Joe Peck said:

I hope you are correct but I don't see this getting up to a 7.5.  Regardless, like @shadroch said above, you most likely will lose money if your intent is to sell.  According to GPA, a 8.0 sold February of this year for $75 which is the most recent of the grade you suspect but also a 9.2 sold sold in June of this year for $80.  So when you add up pressing, grading, shipping (to and back), you are going to be in the red.

If you just want to press and slab to test your grading skills or it has some sentimental connection, go for it.  

On 10/28/2021 at 12:42 PM, shadroch said:

Perhaps, but why spend money improving something only to seal it in plastic? Putting it in a mylar would make a great display piece. It his book and his money. I just don't see the point.

Given the apparent grade of the book, this is the right answer.