• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A super find!
6 6

156 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2021 at 12:39 PM, MattTheDuck said:

This kind of thread really separates the collectors from the speculators.

These threads give me funny feelings in my stomach. I feel bad... but he came out so strong and confident that I also wanna laugh. And then I feel bad again.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:29 AM, shadroch said:

If you clean and press this, then slab it, you'll have $100 invested in it. You can buy a 7.5 for half of that and still have your original copy. 

I dont understand your game plan here.  

Is it really that much now!!? :whatthe:

Geeeez! That's crazy! Think of all the thousands of modern drek sent in every day, that's ridiculous!

On 10/28/2021 at 1:01 PM, lostboys said:

These threads give me funny feelings in my stomach. I feel bad... but he came out so strong and confident that I also wanna laugh. And then I feel bad again.

I would encourage the orignal poster to spend some time in the Spare a grade section as well as the various sales threads so they can get a sense of how others here grade, especially some of the more reputable sellers. I still find myself looking at my own books through rose colored glasses and struggle to not over grade them.

On 10/28/2021 at 1:10 PM, jcjames said:

Is it really that much now!!? :whatthe:

Geeeez! That's crazy! Think of all the thousands of modern drek sent in every day, that's ridiculous!

It can be that much if you "onesy-twosey" books.   People submitting moderns by the boatload aren't paying $100/per.  It's closer to $25.  

I think it's commendable that you've been trying to learn grading by purchasing from an online dealer. Problem is, their standards probably vary, and they are probably known for being a bit soft or hard, depending on the dealer/retailer. It's also amazing the small differences that the smallest scuff etc can make to a high grade book, so you can't extrapolate what a 10 must be judging from a 9.0.

Welcome to the boards, there's plenty of sections that can help you hone your grading skills, and hopefully we'll see you back here in a few weeks showing off all your new found grading knowledge. Good luck with it! 

On 10/28/2021 at 9:19 AM, Joe Peck said:

In the two weeks since pulling my box down I have bought about 40 comics online from MyComicShop and Ebay.  Some CGC, most raw and all in the range of 7.0 and up.  Using those graded copies to support my understanding of grading as well as the Overstreet Book I can tell you for 100% certain this copy is a 7.5 at a minimum after a clean and press.  A 7.5  is allowed up to 8 flaws including minor foxing, a cover with yellowing or tanning.  There are total of 3 spine ticks none of which break color and all of which may likely be removed by pressing.  The foxing on the edge is so slight as to be almost imperceptible, but is increased by the lighting and the photo.  As to buying a new copy that does not account for sentimental value.  I bought these comics with hard earned paper route money at a time when my family was extremely poor, and so there is no question in my mind I will keep THIS book.  I didn't buy the comics in my collection and put them away for 40 years just to make a dime.   I may well be proven wrong, but we will see in a few months if my estimation was right or not. (thumbsu

I defy you to show a @mycomicshop book that is listed as a 7.5 that is in as poor shape as this book.  I consider that an insult to MCS they are known to be very strict graders.  

this has to be a joke thread or a troll right? based on the thread title alone, regardless of the grade its nowhere close to a super find.  the grade is nowhere close to even VF let alone 9.0. so it has to be a joke or this is the same guy at the flea market with boxes of 90s drek thinking he has his retirement in front of him.

On 10/28/2021 at 1:01 PM, lostboys said:

eduardo-sterblitch-eduardo.gif

On 10/28/2021 at 12:29 PM, shadroch said:

If you clean and press this, then slab it, you'll have $100 invested in it. You can buy a 7.5 for half of that and still have your original copy. 

I dont understand your game plan here.  

I didn’t say this before but aside from wanting to make this copy the best it can be I also want to learn by sending it in to see how close I am in grading.  I’m quite fortunate in that money isn’t really an issue so $100 for a grading lesson is worth it to me. In fact I think I’ll spring for the extra cost to access the graders notes.

Edited by Joe Peck

On 10/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, Joe Peck said:

I didn’t say this before but aside from wanting to make this copy the best it can be I also want to learn by sending it in to see how close I am in grading.  I’m quite fortunate in that money isn’t really an issue so $100 for a grading lesson is worth it to me. In fact I think I’ll spring for the extra cost to access the graders notes.

I may be wrong, haven't memorized the new benefits, but graders note should be FREE for books submitted under your own account with cgc.

So there is that. :)

The company that shall not be named offers a tier where they will grade the comic for you and put it in a tamper-free mylar bag with an official grade label on front. I've considered it because some people only consider a comic to be worthy is for a minimum wage line worker at a grading company to say so, and it's much cheaper than slabbing. But I never have.

On 10/28/2021 at 1:51 PM, Joe Peck said:

I feel bad that most folks here just can’t accept when someone is pleased with a find regardless of one’s opinion on the grade.  It’s actually kinda annoying.  But heh this is the internet which wouldn’t be the same if it wasn’t sometimes annoying.

One day you will get to scold a newbie to the boards, too.

On 10/28/2021 at 11:51 AM, Joe Peck said:

I feel bad that most folks here just can’t accept when someone is pleased with a find regardless of one’s opinion on the grade.  It’s actually kinda annoying.  But heh this is the internet which wouldn’t be the same if it wasn’t sometimes annoying.

You came on a board with comic experts and made an outlandish claim about the grade of a book.  Then when corrected you stuck to your guns.  Then you threw the much respected @mycomicshop under the bus saying your grade was correct its just like theirs.  I mean, what do you expect?  Us to lie?  

On 10/28/2021 at 8:00 PM, seanfingh said:

Telling someone that you believe their grading is incorrect is not scolding them. Some people just don't want to be told that the stove burner is hot. They need to check for themselves. Carry on.

AARRRRRRRGH, FOCACCIA THAT HURT! 

307cc52f0824881d86a895b91282c949.gif.dba1ba7e237b1fb1b92df384bc76f993.gif