• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A super find!
6 6

156 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2021 at 12:10 PM, jcjames said:

Is it really that much now!!? :whatthe:

Geeeez! That's crazy! Think of all the thousands of modern drek sent in every day, that's ridiculous!

What kills you is the shipping. Modern slow track grading is $22, +$15 if you have CCS press (although there are private pressers who may have different rates, we'll go with that). If you have CGC ship a single book back UPS Ground, that's $16, but they have $100 capped insurance, so you might considered USPS Registered Mail at $32 instead. Let's say $20 to get it there in the first place, because that's a round number. Uh oh, that's $73 (or $89 if USPS returns it) for a single book to be pressed and graded. That's pretty close to $100 a pop in process costs. Don't do that if you can help it.

If you can do it in lots of 25, though, let's say it now costs you $50 to get them to Sarasota. It'll cost you $72 to have CGC ship the 25 books back USPS Registered (that's slightly more than UPS Ground, but the difference isn't as big as for one book, and you probably don't want the $100 claims cap at that point). But those shipping costs are split over 25 books, so now you're under $5 a book shipping costs (both ways!) and looking at $41.88 per book in total costs.

I get quite a bit of "modern drek" graded for my personal whims, but I also curate pretty tightly before hand, so most of my books don't need the extra trip to CCS, cutting my cost to slab down to around $27 per book, which is cheap enough that I'm not really concerned if it's a recoupable cost on a book that I'm never intending to sell. 

On 10/28/2021 at 2:51 PM, Joe Peck said:

I feel bad that most folks here just can’t accept when someone is pleased with a find regardless of one’s opinion on the grade.  It’s actually kinda annoying.  But heh this is the internet which wouldn’t be the same if it wasn’t sometimes annoying.

Ignore the haters.  Just do it.  I slabbed a 4.5 cream bronze book as my first and it was a good learning process for me too.

Good luck!

:tink:

On 10/28/2021 at 5:44 PM, Namtak said:

I miss the exitements that you are experiencing right now,and probably a few with grumpy coments feel the same...after a while collecting we dont always see these wonders the same way and in a way its a shame...good luck with cgc:foryou:

Yeah, when I look at my old collection, I only find Drek.  However, I never sell it and sometimes reread them.  

On 10/28/2021 at 4:53 PM, Wolverinex said:
On 10/28/2021 at 4:44 PM, Namtak said:

I miss the exitements that you are experiencing right now,and probably a few with grumpy coments feel the same...after a while collecting we dont always see these wonders the same way and in a way its a shame...good luck with cgc:foryou:

Yeah, when I look at my old collection, I only find Drek.  However, I never sell it and sometimes reread them.  

Some people knock the registry, which is their choice. I see the registry as a journal of each book. We all collect different, and there I'm able too add a description of: where I got the book, from whom, how much, and pics; context context context. 

I mean I missed @DR.X contest last year giving my registry an over haul, which I regret

Its times like these that I'm able to revisit and reminisce.

For some they can do that by picking up a book, but over time, I'll remember yet when its written at purchase: I can look back and remember more details lol

I'm not everyone else, and I DO slab nearly anything and everything i buy, after reading if i choose.

So pick your battles (thumbsu

But it's what works for me  :tink:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/28/2021 at 5:53 PM, Wolverinex said:

Yeah i mean if i have my old low grade copy its that one that get signed first in comic cons before i consider any other option lol there is something personnal about a comic you owned since it came out idk might just be me(shrug)

On 10/28/2021 at 5:46 PM, Namtak said:

Yeah i mean if i have my old low grade copy its that one that get signed first in comic cons before i consider any other option lol there is something personnal about a comic you owned since it came out idk might just be me(shrug)

Due to the boards, admirably, I've since adopted this philosophy so to speak 

So far so good. I'm not always there on new comic book day though :(

On 10/28/2021 at 1:51 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I may be wrong, haven't memorized the new benefits, but graders note should be FREE for books submitted under your own account with cgc.

So there is that. :)

well one thing is for certain, it won't grade high enough for them not to include the grader notes 

@Joe Peck Slab whatever you want, for whatever reason you want. Your money, your problem, your gain or loss. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it. 

That being said: Still wise to lower your expectations when it comes to grading. Definitely listen to the veterans who have submitted countless books and honed their amateur grading skills.

Good luck. 

On 10/28/2021 at 6:07 PM, Fisionbomb said:

@Joe Peck Slab whatever you want, for whatever reason you want. Your money, your problem, your gain or loss. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about it. 

That being said: Still wise to lower your expectations when it comes to grading. Definitely listen to the veterans who have submitted countless books and honed their amateur grading skills.

Good luck. 

True that. Sage wisdom. I've thought I was experienced and still had cgc grade a level above and seldom below what I thought, it happens 

download.jpeg.jpg

On 10/28/2021 at 12:42 PM, shadroch said:

Perhaps, but why spend money improving something only to seal it in plastic? Putting it in a mylar would make a great display piece. It his book and his money. I just don't see the point.

Ahh, but I don't intend to keep it in encased.  Once I get it back cleaned, pressed, and slabbed I will crack the slab and probably read it once a year until I die.

Looks like my first test will get done pretty quick.  I sent a box of 10 comics (that I intend to sell) in last week and they are already opened and being scheduled for grading.  Here's my guess for each:

Action Comics 261 - 4.0

Action Comics 263 - 4.5

Adventure Comics 260 - 5.5

Brave And Bold 36 - 6.0

Brave and Bold 44 - 6.5

Detective Comics 272 - 3.5

Detective Comics 277 - 5.0

Detective Comics 278 - 4.0

Justice League 5 - 4.0

Justice League 13 - 5.5

test1.jpg

On 10/28/2021 at 2:09 PM, kav said:

I defy you to show a @mycomicshop book that is listed as a 7.5 that is in as poor shape as this book.  I consider that an insult to MCS they are known to be very strict graders.  

Ahhh, this is part of the learning.  If you look at threads on this board you will find that people have actually gone to the length of buying a graded book from MyComicBookShop and then sending it back to them and they graded it down one level from a 7.0 to a 6.0 and this hasn't just been documented once, but so many times that some people on this board decided to stop using them.  Point here is not to put down that site as they provide excellent books and service, and I have purchased quite a few books from them.  The point is that Grading is HIGHLY subjective in this hobby, but we have all come to agree with CGC's system and from what I can tell by buying 8's and 7's that were CGC'd and comparing that to 8's and 7's from MyComicBookShop I think I learned a great deal.

As to this particular book I feel quite strongly that people are overlooking two simple facts. One: the primary defect showing is spine roll.  Pressing will eliminate most of that.  Second:  Now tonight on closer inspection I realize there is zero foxing.  Any perceived foxing is a product of the photo and not found in real life.  There is however a major defect I didn't show in the photo on the back cover and that may be the grading undoing of this book if it doesn't come off in cleaning as it is a 1/4 inch ink smudge on the back.  But, I am very eager to learn a) if it can be cleaned or b) how CGC grades such a smudge.

Actually, I think what I will do for this book is list all the flaws I see so when I get the graders notes I can compare.  It would be terribly interesting to see others from this thread do the same.

Edited by Joe Peck