• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Dealers in the 1970s
2 2

48 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2021 at 6:02 PM, pemart1966 said:

...and who might this be for those of us not in the know?  Or..do I even want to know?   lol

The guy form mile high, Chuck (thumbsu

Behind The famous mile high find, that originally led to a pedigree.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/27/2021 at 7:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The guy form mile high, Chuck (thumbsu

Behind The famous mile high find, that originally led to a pedigree.

As soon as I posted I had a closer look at the face and thought that's who it was.  Tx for confirming.

On 11/27/2021 at 6:02 PM, jimjum12 said:

Chuck was very instrumental to the hobby. Beside the Church collection he brought the MHII collection mainstream with double page sales lists in every Marvel comic for a few months... he sure didn't mind "putting his money where his mouth was" ... Anyone who cares about the old school dealers and marketplace, Tales From The Data Base is a very informative and entertaining series of articles that are preserved on his website. Another goldmine of info in the same vein are Vincent Zurzolo's interviews on Comic Zone Radio, which are collected on the Metropolis website. In addition to dozens of Dealer interviews, there are also interviews with creators.  GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

If he tried to do today what he did to get the money for MH2, he'd be in jail.  It's easy to do deals like that when its not your money.

It was legal at the time, but still very sketchy. 

Edited by shadroch

Great memories from the mail order days.  My first exposure was Howard Rogofsky in the early 70s.  Action #1 was listed for $400 and I recall telling my late father to buy it.  Oh if he would have listened!  I ended up purchasing books from Robert Bell, as his catalog focused on affordable silver age issues.  Paper route money only goes so far!  Good times.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:08 AM, shadroch said:

If he tried to do today what he did to get the money for MH2, he'd be in jail.  It's easy to do deals like that when its not your money.

It was legal at the time, but still very sketchy. 

Could you please elaborate about this? I know about the MH2 collection, but I don't know the back story.