• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books from your personal collection, slabbed/graded FOR your personal collection?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

I've never slabbed a book from my personal collection, although I've purchased a couple dozen slabs in recent months for my personal collection.  It makes sense to me from a preservation standpoint, or if you're planning to sell, but I'm not a fan of not being able to take them out and read them.  The slabs I've purchased are almost exclusively books I didn't already have so it's frustrating to not be able to access them.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:24 PM, Qalyar said:

It's not really special, but... I was managing a brick and mortar comics and collectibles store on 9/11. Wasn't much of an ASM fan, but bought this for myself out of our Diamond shipment shortly after. 

Figured I ought to show it some respect and slab it, as the original owner after all this time. Considering that it has probably moved with me 8 or so times, I assumed the unyielding hand of entropy would earn it a 9.4 or 9.6 even if I couldn't see anything wrong.

Happily, even twenty-years-ago me knew how to take care of my stuff.

PXL_20201031_034829656.thumb.jpg.a4829db0dd5d1b8a1846210a115ecd5b.jpg

Having moved several times, I give you props my good man!

I have quite a few books I purchased raw (off the rack or got a steal on via garage / consignment sales) that I've had graded and then added to my personal collection.
These three are ones that I bought off the rack each from different phases of my life...adolescence / young adult / adulthood...
Marvel Superheroes #8 / The Maxx #35 / Detective Comics #880

0803211130201.jpg

0803211124161.jpg

0803211113381.jpg

On 10/28/2021 at 8:24 PM, Morganmi said:

All the books I've had slabbed are for my personal collection. I chose them to be graded in part because I wanted to see how cgc would grade them and also because I really like the covers and like the look of them slabbed for display. Some of them were valuable and some not so much. I've also bought a few slabbed books because they have covers I really like. Here's one of my favorites I bought around 35 years ago and just got back. 

20211021_214210.jpg

We both did the very exact book for the exact same reason  :tink:

Mine is 6.0, national Diamond insert my first of those as well.

Got to say the boards said why? Why? At the Time. Experiment I did, I never even upgraded  :tonofbricks:

On 10/28/2021 at 9:28 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

We both did the very exact book for the exact same reason  :tink:

Mine is 6.0, national Diamond insert my first of those as well.

Got to say the boards said why? Why? At the Time. Experiment I did, I never even upgraded  :tonofbricks:

Why upgrade when you already have the perfect book for you. (thumbsu:tink:

On 10/28/2021 at 8:32 PM, Morganmi said:

Why upgrade when you already have the perfect book for you. (thumbsu:tink:

Lol that's what I said Haha still I really do look at it with fondness, as it was a time I was new and in college and eager!

On 10/28/2021 at 8:24 PM, Qalyar said:

It's not really special, but... I was managing a brick and mortar comics and collectibles store on 9/11. Wasn't much of an ASM fan, but bought this for myself out of our Diamond shipment shortly after. 

Figured I ought to show it some respect and slab it, as the original owner after all this time. Considering that it has probably moved with me 8 or so times, I assumed the unyielding hand of entropy would earn it a 9.4 or 9.6 even if I couldn't see anything wrong.

Happily, even twenty-years-ago me knew how to take care of my stuff.

PXL_20201031_034829656.thumb.jpg.a4829db0dd5d1b8a1846210a115ecd5b.jpg

This was a book I went out and bought after 9/11 and still have as well.